Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU Off-season thread 2; DL's NOT DEAD!

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
    It just seems odd to me to have the defensive bench three deep and the forward bench two deep... which is why I made the suggestion. Also, I don't think Ryan has the upside that Zabs would have on the fourth line. Frankly, Ryan or Peckskamp or Mosey getting regular minutes scares me.
    Ryan should play every game this year on the fourth line. There is no good reason to ever sit him unless he is hurt. The guy has the guts and smarts to be our main grinder this year. Every good team needs to have a Mitch Ryan type player. I agree he is not a top two line type guy and probably not a third line guy either.

As for Mosey and Peckskamp. I have no problem with Peckskamp getting a good chunk of playing time on the fourth line. He is not a defensive liability and he will always hustle. Mosey on the other hand is lazy and a defensive liability. If he actually hustled he would be a decent player, but he doesn't to often.

The fourth line is there to give your other three lines a break and to not give up any goals and that is it. As long as they are strong enough defensively that a coach doesn't have to be afraid to throw them out there they are doing their job. Oslund/Ryan/Peckskamp would be a solid 4th line next year.
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

There are so many combo's that could be used this year it makes me wonder how this team couldn't score a ton of goals this year. I don't usually do line combo's before I see the freshman play, but I am bored so here it goes.

Lasch-Leblanc-Christian
      Festler-Roe-Hanowski
      Novak-Marvin-Eddy
      Peckskamp-Oslund-Ryan

Raboin-Lauridsen
      Zabs-Hepp
      Rioux-Johnson

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I guess it depends on what you want the 4th line for.
        Energy wise, Ryan would be fine and played very well last year when he played.
        Yes Zabs would likely bring more skill but would 4 "scoring" lines really work?
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Good God, I hope they don't put Zabkowicz as a forward! He has some offensive upside, but not THAT much. Bottom line: he was one of 3 defensemen that by the end of the season (of in Zabkowicz's case, the end of his season) that I didn't really fear when they had to make a play. SCSU has enough guys who can put the puck in the net... they need to find more D-men who can shut down the opposition.

I'm assuming everyone's going with the lineup they WANT to see, not what they're guessing we'll see, so here's my Christmas list Santa:

Lasch-Marvin-LeBlanc
          Novak-Roe-Christian
          Festler-Hanowski-Ryan
          Volpei-Oslund-Eddy

* Mitch Ryan should play between 80% and 90% of SCSU games next year unless the guys on the bench REALLY stand up, or he regresses. Or hell, if they try that for half a season and he's not who we thought he might be, fine, but I think we've got something there. He's a grinder, and as tb pointed out, we don't need to try to get every player on the ice to be an offensive threat; just ask Gopher fans. But Peckskamp and Mosey should get plenty of time, and Oslund, Eddy, Ryan and Volpei should all be fighting for a start every game. I think the 8 on my top 3 lines (minus Ryan) should start every game they're not injured.

Raboin-Rioux
          Zabkowicz-Hepp
          Barta -Johnson

* This is an an all-out diss on the Dane. Based on what I've heard on Johnson, I'd put him ahead of Oliver unless the Dane has really improved over the summer. Personally, Raboin, Rioux and Zabkowicz are the only 3 that I feel belong to be on the ice every night as long as they're not hurt. Hepp, Barta, Johnson and the Dane, at least to start, should all be healthy scratches to keep them fresh, and keep them honest; sometimes knowing a poor performance will get you a suit instead of a jersey the next night is a good motivator.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

We'll need the Dane's size and you won't see a grinder in Ryan with two high skill guys like Hanowski and Festler.
            I also doubt Eddy is on the 4th line considering his scoring ability as well.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Edddddddy!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist a Rocky Horror Picture Show reference.

On a personal note...I hope Hepp breaks out this year. He played too conservatively last season and had some signs of hope. Also, I hope Zab stayed in Minnesota this summer because the water in Wisconsin is just as horrible as I remember because his hometown is 20+ minutes away from where I am staying.
              Originally posted by Skeeterman
              Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
              "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
                Edddddddy!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist a Rocky Horror Picture Show reference.

On a personal note...I hope Hepp breaks out this year. He played too conservatively last season and had some signs of hope. Also, I hope Zab stayed in Minnesota this summer because the water in Wisconsin is just as horrible as I remember because his hometown is 20+ minutes away from where I am staying.
                I had a hepp breakout once - took me 3 weeks and a bottle of cream to get it to go away.

Besides - I wouldn't knock him for playing conservatively - it's not like the rest of the team was playing balls out either.
                How do I get through life, Jimmy? Well, let me tell you. It's with god luck and good speed.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  We'll need the Dane's size and you won't see a grinder in Ryan with two high skill guys like Hanowski and Festler.
                  I also doubt Eddy is on the 4th line considering his scoring ability as well.
                  Why? Ryan can pass, can't he? From the limited time I saw him, he seemed to move the puck alright (especially for someone who can't crack the lineup). The reason I liked him is because with Festler and Hanowski is because he's more physical than those two. I've heard Hanowski can throw his body around a little, but that's certainly not why he was recruited. You don't always want all your offensive players on the same lines, becuase then often they're not a very physical line, or its a defensive liability.

And the Dane needs to learn to skate better if he wants to play every night. I'm not saying that he's done for, I realize he's a work in progress being so young and having to switch continents, but if he's as far along as when we saw him at the end of last season, he should be in a rotation with Johnson and Barta (and Hepp too, though I don't think that'll happen) with one sitting out a night.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

From Allenspach's blog about Lee
                    College hockey fan extraordinaire Tom Reale, who has worked as a part-time sports writer at the Times in the past, recently got back from his Army duties in Iraq and has been relaxing at home in New York. With some time on his hands, he migrated to Lake Placid this week where the U.S. Junior National Evaluation Camp is underway. Since he's pinch-hit on some occasional SCSU coverage, he graciously submitted his take from Tuesday's 8-1 win: (Lee did not play in Team USA's 6-1 win Wednesday)

Mike Lee in his own words:

How the camp is going: "It's going really well. The first three days here we had some intense intra-squad scrimmages - things got pretty heated up. They kept us separate all weekend long, because they really wanted us to get after each other. We really set ourselves up for some good showings against Russia."

On his progress at camp: "I feel like I've already gotten better here. That's definitely the goal, to get better."

On the Russians: "They've got some guys here that probably won't be (in Saskatchewan) for the big tournament, but they're still skilled hockey players and the European game is definitely different than the American game, so it's nice to get out there and see it a little."

On being at Lake Placid: "Last year was my first year out here, and I'm glad I had that opportunity because I'm a little more acclimated this year and I have a better idea of what's going on. It's beautiful out here, I think that's a big reason what they send us here. Last year my parents came up and we spent my day off on Whiteface Mountain... there's not much else to do here than play hockey, but we get the opportunity to walk around downtown and see the little shops, and walk around the beautiful lake."

On working with Dean Blais again: "He's meant everything to me. He's the one who gave me the opportunity to play in the USHL last year. It's just the way he operates his team and the way he operates himself; his will to win rubs off on everybody."

On Blais' comments that Lee could lead SCSU to a national title (Lee claimed he hadn't heard it): "If he thinks that highly of me, I sure hope it happens. It would be something pretty special to happen at St. Cloud State and I'm excited to try and do that."

On the camp's effects on pre-season preparation: "When you're out here with the best guys in the country in your age group, playing against them trying to make the team, it's a great preparation for playing in college. Everyone's doing their best to make the team and playing their hardest."

On the excitement of starting college: "Excitement really is the best word you can use. Just being there a little bit this summer and being in the locker room, spending time skating at the rink, and hanging out with the guys just makes me so excited to get down there. I'm excited for school to start, excited to move in, and all that fun stuff."

Mike Lee as photographed by Tom Reale.

Reale's appraisal of Lee's play: The Russians really didn't put up much in the way of offense - they played like they were right off the plane from the Rodina. The one goal Lee gave up was early in the game on what was really a complete defensive letdown overall, coming almost directly after the first U.S. goal on sort of a bang-bang play. Other than that, he was there when he needed to be although he didn't have too many opportunities to really show off. The Russians had a conga line to the penalty box all game long, and the American power play was holding the zone with little problem when they weren't just crashing the net and scoring goals.
                    Originally posted by Mankato student
                    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                    -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      Why? Ryan can pass, can't he? From the limited time I saw him, he seemed to move the puck alright (especially for someone who can't crack the lineup). The reason I liked him is because with Festler and Hanowski is because he's more physical than those two. I've heard Hanowski can throw his body around a little, but that's certainly not why he was recruited. You don't always want all your offensive players on the same lines, becuase then often they're not a very physical line, or its a defensive liability.

And the Dane needs to learn to skate better if he wants to play every night. I'm not saying that he's done for, I realize he's a work in progress being so young and having to switch continents, but if he's as far along as when we saw him at the end of last season, he should be in a rotation with Johnson and Barta (and Hepp too, though I don't think that'll happen) with one sitting out a night.
                      Ryan can pass ok, but he's not on the level of Festler and Hanowski and it's not his role with the team.
                      We haven't been physical in years so I don't expect that to change in one season.
                      Ryan barely saw time last year, he's not going to be thrown in with two guys expected to put up points, as is Eddy.
                      With the talent we have, I expect us to run 3 scoring lines and a grind line.
                      As for Lauridsen, I said it last year, and I'll say it again, this kid is not going to get better fast enough by seeing limited playing time, he needs to play to get better.
                      He needs to adjust to the speed of the game and that won't happen enough in practice.
                      A good comparison for Lauridsen is Finley who was not great his first two years but was a key part of UND's defense his final two years.
                      Motzko said that about Lauridsen, he's not here for his first two seasons, he's here for his last two seasons, he's going to have growing pains and we have to live with them.
                      Defense is the hardest position to adjust to from level to level and big guys like Lauridsen are going to have the hardest time adjusting.
                      You also want the squad to be more physical, that's not going to happen by sitting one of the most physical assests we have in place of puck moving d-men.
                      I expect to see Barta in a rotation with Johnson, like he was last year with Carlisle until one of them proves they deserve the spot.
                      If Motzko wants to try and limit Lauridsen's mistakes, I could see him paired with Raboin who can make up for Lauridsen's errors.
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Ryan can pass ok, but he's not on the level of Festler and Hanowski and it's not his role with the team.
                        We haven't been physical in years so I don't expect that to change in one season.
                        Ryan barely saw time last year, he's not going to be thrown in with two guys expected to put up points, as is Eddy.
                        As for Lauridsen, I said it last year, and I'll say it again, this kid is not going to get better fast enough by seeing limited playing time, he needs to play to get better.
                        He needs to adjust to the speed of the game and that won't happen enough in practice.
                        A good comparison for Lauridsen is Finley who was not great his first two years but was a key part of UND's defense his final two years.
                        Motzko said that about Lauridsen, he's not here for his first two seasons, he's here for his last two seasons, he's going to have growing pains and we have to live with them.
                        Defense is the hardest position to adjust to from level to level and big guys like Lauridsen are going to have the hardest time adjusting.
                        You also want the squad to be more physical, that's not going to happen by sitting one of the most physical assests we have in place of puck moving d-men.
                        I expect to see Barta in a rotation with Johnson, like he was last year with Carlisle until one of them proves they deserve the spot.
                        If Motzko wants to try and limit Lauridsen's mistakes, I could see him paired with Raboin who can make up for Lauridsen's errors.
                        I actually agree with you! Rabid is that you?

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

I wouldn't be horribly upset if Ryan played the 4th line, because I'd be happy if he just got in the game, but I think you and I have different takes on Ryan. I think that Ryan's smarts and physical presence are what will get him in the lineup, but I believe he's got more offensive skill than you give him credit for. I'll take a WCHA-seasoned played in Ryan, who's already played for two different teams in this league, for offense before I'll take Eddy. A year from now, maybe half a season from now, Eddy's played phenomenally and this is a non-issue, but ask me who's more likely to score in the opening weekend, and I'd bet on Ryan. (Not to mention the Tony Mosey rule: you hand some players ice time, or a spot on a certain line, and they may take it for granted. After so limited a chance, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch comes out as one of the hungrier players this season, waiting to prove his worth)

And if Lauridsen, Barta, Hepp and Johnson all rotated, the Dane would play approximately 75% of the games. And while I believe he can be a bigger factor in year 3 and 4, its not always just game time that'll help. First off, he BETTER be learning things in practice. And for me, my biggest issues with him are; speed, control of the puck, and the fact that despite his size he often wasn't physical enough last year. If he addresses these issues, give him all the games he wants. If he doesn't, I think sitting one game every other weekend isn't the worst thing that he could live through.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            I actually agree with you! Rabid is that you?
                            Nope.
                            Euro, with Ryan, he may, may have skill but he hasn't shown it, not in the two years he's played so far.
                            He's gotten into 20 games total, has 6 points.
                            Not bad, but not great and also not what I'd call "league seasoned."
                            Also, (just a minor comparison, junior stats don't mean much but bare with me) Eddy plays one year of junior hockey and puts up 56 points, 2nd on the team for a Sioux Falls team that finishes .500.
                            Ryan's two years of junior hockey he puts up 51 points (leads team) for a below .500 Waterloo squad and then puts up 17 points in 34 games the next year (after leaving UMD) for a team that lost in the league finals (yes he did much better in the playoffs, finishing tied for 3rd in scoring)
                            So really, it's a wash, junior wise as to who we can "count on" for scoring.
                            But I do know that if he plays, we are counting on Ryan to do a heck of a lot more than scoring, like be physical and possibly kill penalties.
                            Eddy doesn't have the size to do that so his role has to be getting points and I think he'll be given a chance to do that before Ryan will.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Your 2009-10 Huskies

2 Jon Ammerman D R 6-0 190 Sr. 5/9/87 Moorhead, MN (Indiana/USHL)
                              3 Sam Zabkowicz D L 5-11 167 So. 6/12/87 Greendale, WI (Sioux Falls/USHL)
                              4 Craig Gaudet D L 5-10 195 Sr. 5/18/85 Redvers, SK (Nanaimo/BCHL)
                              5 Nicholas Rioux D L 6-1 205 Jr. 8/21/86 Riviere-du-Loup, PQ (Prince George/BCHL)
                              6 Brett Barta D R 6-1 198 Jr. 4/3/87 Moorhead, MN (Waterloo/USHL)
                              7 Garrett Raboin D R 5-11 175 Sr. 3/27/85 Detroit Lakes, MN (Lincoln/USHL)
                              9 Garrett Roe (LAK) F L 5-9 175 Jr. 2/22/88 Vienna, VA (Indiana/USHL)
                              10 Ben Hanowski (PIT) F L 6-2 198 FY 10/18/90 Little Falls, MN (Little Falls H.S.)
                              11 Jared Festler F L 5-9 175 So. 10/14/89 Little Falls, MN (Lincoln/USHL)
                              12 Travis Novak F R 5-11 175 So. 9/2/88 Lethbridge, AB (Omaha/USHL)
                              13 Jordy Christian F L 5-10 185 So. 10/6/88 Moorhead, MN (Prince George/BCHL)
                              14 Mitch Ryan F L 6-0 190 Jr. 10/28/86 Cloquet, MN (Waterloo/USHL)
                              16 Nick Oslund (DET) F R 6-3 210 Jr. 11/15/87 Savage, MN (Tri-City/USHL)
                              17 Aaron Marvin (CAL) F L 6-3 205 Jr. 5/27/88 Warroad, MN (Tri-City/USHL)
                              18 Chris Hepp D R 6-1 200 Jr. 6/21/87 Savage, MN (Omaha/USHL)
                              19 Ryan Lasch F R 5-7 175 Sr. 1/22/87 Lake Forest, CA (Pembroke/CJHL)
                              20 Ryan Peckskamp F R 5-10 175 Sr. 6/10/85 Sauk Rapids, MN (Indiana/USHL)
                              21 Brian Volpei F R 5-9 180 Jr. 7/22/88 Burbank, CA (Salmon Arm/BCHL)
                              22 David Eddy F R 5-11 180 FY 12/10/89 Woodbury, MN (Sioux Falls/USHL)
                              24 Taylor Johnson D R 5-9 160 FY 10/26/89 Hugo, MN (Green Bay/USHL)
                              25 Oliver Lauridsen (PHI) D L 6-6 220 So. 3/24/89 Gentofte, DEN (Linkopings HC/SWE)
                              27 Tony Mosey F L 5-10 185 Jr. 4/23/88 Prior Lake, MN (Salmon Arm/BCHL)
                              29 Drew LeBlanc F L 6-0 185 So. 6/29/89 Hermantown, MN (Chicago/USHL)
                              30 Mike Lee (PHO) G L 6-0 190 FY 10/5/90 Roseau, MN (Fargo/USHL)
                              33 Jase Weslosky (NYI) G L 6-2 185 Sr. 8/14/88 St. Albert, AB (Sherwood Park/AJHL)
                              36 Nate Hardy G L 5-11 160 So. 7/11/88 Hermantown, MN (Southern MInn./NAHL)
                              41 Dan Dunn (WASH) G L 6-5 200 Jr. 6/20/88 Oshawa, ON (Wellington/OPJHL)
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Nope.
                                Euro, with Ryan, he may, may have skill but he hasn't shown it, not in the two years he's played so far.
                                He's gotten into 20 games total, has 6 points.
                                Not bad, but not great and also not what I'd call "league seasoned."
                                Also, (just a minor comparison, junior stats don't mean much but bare with me) Eddy plays one year of junior hockey and puts up 56 points, 2nd on the team for a Sioux Falls team that finishes .500.
                                Ryan's two years of junior hockey he puts up 51 points (leads team) for a below .500 Waterloo squad and then puts up 17 points in 34 games the next year (after leaving UMD) for a team that lost in the league finals (yes he did much better in the playoffs, finishing tied for 3rd in scoring)
                                So really, it's a wash, junior wise as to who we can "count on" for scoring.
                                But I do know that if he plays, we are counting on Ryan to do a heck of a lot more than scoring, like be physical and possibly kill penalties.
                                Eddy doesn't have the size to do that so his role has to be getting points and I think he'll be given a chance to do that before Ryan will.
                                As I said, we're really getting picky, I'm not gonna be furious if Eddy gets on the 3rd line and Ryan the 4th, and I don't think you'll be upset if vice-versa happens. I just found it funny that you brought up all those numbers, and then said "its pretty much a wash." I never said Ryan was way more talented than Eddy, so if its a wash, I'll take the guy who has put up a little less numbers on not as good teams, and the junior over the freshman, but that's probably because I think this year is critical (we lose Lasch, Raboin and Weslosky after this coming season) if SCSU's gonna make a run.

Comment

Working...
                                X