Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey - 2009/2010

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    Yes, I think his management style rivals Ahmadinejad, which, while disagree with it, does nevertheless, belong to a significant head-of-state, and obviously works for some.
    I find it hard to believe that Bob or Kevin would put up with a management style like that.

Also, for the record, I do not hide behind behind an alas, I clearly state who I am and where I live.
    You would have to be incredibly inept to not penetrate my veil of secrecy.
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
      I find it hard to believe that Bob or Kevin would put up with a management style like that.
      Just a few years ago Bob supported and encouraged the selling and use of artificial noisemakers. Since Bruce has come to power, he has (and some have learned has had to) change his view on the subject. He is now a puppet on a stick that is not allowed to voice his own opinion due to Bruce Almighty...
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
        Just a few years ago Bob supported and encouraged the selling and use of artificial noisemakers. Since Bruce has come to power, he has (and some have learned has had to) change his view on the subject. He is now a puppet on a stick that is not allowed to voice his own opinion due to Bruce Almighty...
        This I can confirm, as we (CAS) sold clappers and thundersticks and Marriott also gave them away as promos, now, apparently, these are tools of satan.
        Last edited by norm1909; 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

When in Rome.... (no this is not a reference to the Vatican )

You would have to be incredibly inept to not penetrate my veil of secrecy.
          No, I didn't hatch that up as a reference to you, it was only to note the sincerity of my posts.
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

When in Rome.... (no this is not a reference to the Vatican )

No, I didn't hatch that up as a reference to you, it was only to note the sincerity of my posts.
            Norm is the master of that kind of post.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I certainly think that that a degree in divinity for all A.D's is most welcome and perhaps even necessary in order to deal with the remarks made recently on this topic.

Comment

What does the AD have to do with fans who sit on their hands? What is the obsession with noise makers? They can't cheer and clap their hands? Seems to be some type of derangement syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                  What does the AD have to do with fans who sit on their hands? What is the obsession with noise makers? They can't cheer and clap their hands? Seems to be some type of derangement syndrome.
                  Fair questions -

The AD, directly or through their agents, is the lead in establishing the atmosphere, by banning artificial noisemakers - and I am not advocating air horns, whistles or anything else that could be mistaken as an "official" sound, just the old fashion thunder sticks and clappers would be ok at this stage. But along with the whitewashing of the arena such as the removal of much of the team banners and other accolades earned over the years, and replacing them with formal, museum like plagues, creates the impression that one is in a theater and should be quiet and enjoy the show.

It is NOT a theater its a sporting arena, people should be making noise and creating excitement, more like a showing of the Rocky Mountain Picture Show than Sunday mass. Yes, you can be brave and can yell and clap, but soon your voice starts to go and with the new seating arrangement, clapping must be quaint, lease you slap your neighbor.
                  Last edited by norm1909; 07-22-2009, 09:49 PM.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    To the rest, we're at best an afterthought, and at worst the eccentric aunt locked in the attic..
                    This reminds me of an old Quaker State commercial that had Denis Leary in it. He had some line like: "or that crazy uncle no one likes to talk about"
                    “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                    19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Yes, you can be brave and can yell and clap, but soon your voice starts to go and with the new seating arrangement, clapping must be quaint, lease you slap your neighbor.
                      Really? I would have thought shoe-horning 3500+ into the old bleachers would be more constraining than the seats are. At least you aren;t consistantly kneeing someone in the back. AS I recall, clapping wasn;t a problem then, why should it be now?
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Really? I would have thought shoe-horning 3500+ into the old bleachers would be more constraining than the seats are. At least you aren;t consistantly kneeing someone in the back. AS I recall, clapping wasn;t a problem then, why should it be now?
                        Yes, when were fortunate enough to "shoe-horn 3500+ into the old bleachers", which wasn't often enough, shear numbers alone made it loud enough not to have to worry about making any extra noise. But alas, the installation of individual seats and the expansion of the leg room area (which, as I get older, I appreciate) and the tight seating required to achieve even the nominal amount of seating we now have, places one extremely close to their neighbor. I absolutely DO NOT blame Bruce, on the seating, in fact; I have repeatedly stated that the renovations were part of the master plan, engaged prior to his arrival. In fact, though I have no evidence to support it, I do believe he played a positive roll (or at least hope he did) in the wonderful addition of balcony seats, which represents a fine example of “every little bit helps”. I do however, blame him for the atmosphere, the lack of banners hanging from the ceiling, the banners recognizing the teams we regularly faced, the draconian enforcement of no artificial noise makers – and I do agree, extremism can go either way, some regulation is needed to prevent it from getting out of hand, but there has to be some middle ground.
                        Last edited by norm1909; 07-23-2009, 08:04 AM.
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Regarding the banners:

I have heard on what I belleve to be pretty good authority that all of the banners are going to be hung as part of the ongoing rennovation project which will also include new scoreboards.

I think that Bruce is taking a bad rap here. While he has not been perfect (most of us aren't after all, aside from a few posters here !) I tend to feel that some of the things he has been blamed for, among them, the original ticketing fiasco last fall, were thrust upon him by others. I think Bruce has sincerely tried to make the best of these situations for the good of the hockey program.

Having said that, I think that the jury is still out, so to speak, regarding the noisemaker issue. I'd like to think that this will resolve itself for the 2009-2010 season.

There, I've spoken my piece.

GO CARDS

Wally
                          Cornell '67

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                            Regarding the banners:

I have heard on what I belleve to be pretty good authority that all of the banners are going to be hung as part of the ongoing rennovation project which will also include new scoreboards.

I think that Bruce is taking a bad rap here. While he has not been perfect (most of us aren't after all, aside from a few posters here !) I tend to feel that some of the things he has been blamed for, among them, the original ticketing fiasco last fall, were thrust upon him by others. I think Bruce has sincerely tried to make the best of these situations for the good of the hockey program.

Having said that, I think that the jury is still out, so to speak, regarding the noisemaker issue. I'd like to think that this will resolve itself for the 2009-2010 season.

There, I've spoken my piece.

GO CARDS

Wally
                            Cornell '67
                            Wally -

You are correct, Bruce is only part of the puzzle, but he asked for and received the title "Director", hence, as captain of the ship, I can't see who, in the chain of command would be able to 'thrust it upon him", nor anyone else who’s shoulders it should fall on. Yes, he is working in a complicated bureaucracy, certainly a job I wouldn't take at half again my salary and that is already significantly more than he makes. That said, he is the AD, and I am a fan, and he is responsible for all situations that fall under his command, unless he publically identifies the obstacles he is trying to overcome, he works in a public institution funded significantly by public dollars - both directly through the state budget and not-so directly through financial aid provided to students, not to mention the nominal amount provided by the men's hockey ticket sales revenue alone, which I am certain is in excess of $100,000 a year.

I would like to add, that I do believe he tries his best; which is more than some would do (evidenced in part by his rudeness, if he didn’t take things personally, it would mean he didn’t care at all; also note, in my contact with him, I am very much aware, that “You catch more bears with honey than you do with vinegar”, also I will never stoop to the level of anyone being beligerent).

Do I think I'm perfect? I was tempted to say that I am just a nobody, but as nobody is perfect, I guess I can't be a nobody. Seriously, I don't expect anyone to be perfect, I do expect him to listen and act on behalf of ALL his stakeholders, and at least in publically obvious divisive issues, make a public statement on his department’s plans and objectives.
                            Last edited by norm1909; 07-23-2009, 09:49 AM.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                              Regarding the banners:

I had heard that also, from someone I would classify as knowledgable about the subject. Some of the banners WERE somewhat "ratty".

Regarding artificial noisemakers.... Since he is a member of the NCAA DII Men's Ice Hockey committee, I would imagine he would be expected to follow the NCAA's guidelines (IMO).
                              Go 'Wick!

Comment

I had heard that also, from someone I would classify as knowledgable about the subject. Some of the banners WERE somewhat "ratty".

Regarding artificial noisemakers.... Since he is a member of the NCAA DII Men's Ice Hockey committee, I would imagine he would be expected to follow the NCAA's guidelines (IMO).
                                Jerry -

First, I would sincerely like to thank you for you taking the interest, time and effort to present an alternative perspective on the topics, not only this thread but the forum in general, your background and experience (both past and present) add significantly to the quality of all the discussions.

Yes, a minority of the banners had seen their better days of arena presentation, and were ready for the historical archives or a more environmentally friendly display area. That was not a reason for the removal of all of them. Could there have been, perhaps still is, a legitimate reason they were taken down? Of course there might be, are there a legitimate reason(s), something so publically visible, and something many took pride in, to be taken down and not explained? NO, and it is actions such as these - no explanation given - and NO, I do not expect micromanagement style explanations to be given for everything, that causes me to question his ability to handle the job.

You mention his role in the NCAA Division III committee, all the more reason he should respect his constituents, and either present a simple yet definitive explanation why hockey is so much different than most sports, where a plethora of artificial noisemakers flourish or help change the rules.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X