Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey - 2009/2010

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
    I don't think Oswego made the tourney in '86, but there were actually 4 ECAC West teams in the tourney nonetheless: Plattsburgh, RIT, Elmira, and Union. And three the year before (sans Elmira).

Edit - Other instances: Oswego-RIT-Union '84, Elmira-Oswego-Plattsburgh '88, Oswego-RIT-Union '89, Elmira-Geneseo-Plattsburgh '90, Elmira-Oswego-Mercyhurst '91. So yeah, pretty crazy conference before the big split.
    Good catch, I should have used a larger font when I posted this.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
      Wow. That's rough. The leader in goals and assists done for the year. For some reason, I'm even more worried...
      I'm not.

If this is indeed true.

Plattsburgh is in BIG trouble.

Satim is their playmaker on offense. With Wilson and Hill departing, they needed someone to step up and Satim was that guy.

What's Dylan Clarke going to do now? Will he be able to shoulder the load? Will Farrow finally find the net? Will Plattsburgh's freshman start stepping up?

Call me crazy...but I'd be very worried if I was Plattsburgh right now.

Their offense was lethagic enough against the GOOD teams and now they lost the best player on that offense.

Bob Emery will have to do the greatest coaching job of his career to get Plattsburgh farther than the first round of the NCAA's (if they even get that far.)
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        I'm not.

If this is indeed true.

Satim is their playmaker on offense. With Wilson and Hill departing, they needed someone to step up and Satim was that guy.

What's Dylan Clarke going to do now? Will he be able to shoulder the load? Will Farrow finally find the net? Will Plattsburgh's freshman start stepping up?

Their offense was lethagic enough against the GOOD teams and now they lost the best player on that offense.

Bob Emery will have to do the greatest coaching job of his career to get Plattsburgh farther than the first round of the NCAA's (if they even get that far.)
        Honestly the only reason I'm a bit worried is because it seems too perfect. Over the last 4 years I felt that whenever Oswego was licking their chops to get at Plattsburgh they wound up getting punched in the mouth. Not to mention if the Lakers win this time around and meet the Cards in the SUNYACs they'll be going for win 3 on the year and I guess that worries me most
        Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
        08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
        2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

I'm not.

If this is indeed true.

I'm going to go ahead and file this one away for later...

Comment

I'm not.

If this is indeed true.

I for one think Plattsburgh will be just fine. Defense and goaltending is what wins championships. Yes, you do have to score every now and again but someone will step up, there is too much talent on the Cardinals for them not to.

I don't know what all the panic is about. They have played 5 games against teams ranked in the top 6 (all but 1 away from Stafford) and have only lost twice. Ties are not losses. If those are tournament games its a toss-up.

What worries me as an Oswego fan is their goaltending is getting better every game.
            93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
            2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
            2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
            2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
            2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

WTOP Oswego will be videostreaming the game at the link below for those who can't make it...

http://www.oswego.edu/athletics/live/
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
                I for one think Plattsburgh will be just fine. Defense and goaltending is what wins championships. Yes, you do have to score every now and again but someone will step up, there is too much talent on the Cardinals for them not to.

I don't know what all the panic is about. They have played 5 games against teams ranked in the top 6 (all but 1 away from Stafford) and have only lost twice. Ties are not losses. If those are tournament games its a toss-up.

What worries me as an Oswego fan is their goaltending is getting better every game.
                And they have been on the road forever it seems. I think they will be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post

Laker fans have to face it...until Oswego can once again win against Plattsburgh on HOME ice there will always be that uncertainty. Putting an end to the bagels was a step...the whiteout does nothing...in the end...they need to show the fans, the community, and Plattsburgh that it is their ice...so far they have not...for a long time now.

Comment

A candidate for 4/1
                    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

• Plattsburgh/ Geneseo Pregame Article

Cardinals battling adversity
                      Cardinals return to SUNYAC play minus leading scorer

By JOHN CORYER http://www.pressrepublican.com/0300_...022003543.html
                      Staff Writer

PLATTSBURGH — The Plattsburgh State men's hockey team has had to overcome its share of adversity this season.

The Cardinals, with several new players in the lineup, have played a demanding road schedule and are still having trouble finding the back of the net against quality competition.

And, to make matters more difficult, veteran players are squeezing their sticks too tight in an effort to help carry the scoring load.

Still, Plattsburgh State has only lost twice in 16 games.

"If you would have told me that we would have only two losses at this point of the season, with the schedule we've played, I would have told you that there was no way," said Plattsburgh State head coach Bob Emery.

"We have four ties on our record, but they could just as easily be four wins. If we win those games, we don't have the frustration we have now. You have to find a way to win those types of games.

"We haven't been outplayed or dominated in any games, except for maybe one. And, that's including our road schedule and the quality of teams we've played."

The effort has been there.

"My job is to get the most out of the players," Emery said. "We have come pretty close to that. But, I can't control the goal scoring. We do our best to loosen up the players so they don't squeeze their sticks too tight. There's no question we're having problems scoring goals against the more elite teams.

"The effort, however, has been there. We have done a good job keeping the puck out of our net and we've played good team defense, especially with the younger players we have back there. We can't get too complacent, however."

The Cardinals (10-2-4, 6-1-1) jump back into State University of New York Athletic Conference play this weekend — at Geneseo tonight at 7 p.m. and at Brockport on Saturday at 7 p.m.

"Our primary goal is to win the SUNYAC," Emery said. "We're behind the 8-ball right now in the conference.

"But, it also helps to win our non-league games because that helps get an at-large bid into the NCAA (Division III) Tournament."

The Cardinals, this weekend, will be without the services of leading scorer Eric Satim (10-13-23), who was injured in Monday night's 1-all overtime tie at Williams College.

"He is definitely out this weekend," Emery said. "After that, we'll see how it goes."

Geneseo is 3-5 in the conference and 7-9-1 overall.

The Knights are also getting balanced scoring, with senior forward Dan Brown (10-6-16) and sophomore forward David Arduin (6-10-16) leading the way. Freshman Adrian Rubeniuk (5-6, 2.72 gaa) has been in net much of the time.

Plattsburgh State was a 4-2 winner at home over Geneseo early in the regular season.

Brockport, which has won six of its last nine games, is 3-5 in the SUNYAC and 8-8 overall.

Sophomore forwards James Cody (7-9-16) and Ian Finnerty (7-9-16) lead a balanced scoring attack. Senior Todd Sheridan (7-7, 3.27 gaa) has done the vast majority of the goaltending for the Golden Eagles.

Brockport dropped a 4-1 decision to the Cardinals early in the season at the Stafford Ice Arena.
                      Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
                      Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Comment

Cardinals hold off RIT (Plattsburgh Press-Republican article from 1/23/10)
                        opps

Cardinals pull out 4-3 win (Excerpt from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican article from 1/23/10)

"It was a good win for us in a close game," said Plattsburgh State head coach Bob Emery. "We had to win it in the third period.

"In addition, we had a lot of sickness going around and had players leave the game. We didn't know if some of the players would be able to play, and we had to make line-up changes at the last minute when they weren't able to. We had to overcome a lot of adversity tonight."

"It came on a breakaway off a great pass by (Andrew) Willock," Emery said. "Hopefully, it will get Clarke going."

"Players like Cody Adams and Mike Kavanagh on defense were sick and gutted it out," Emery said.

"We were up, 2-0, when their goalie (Cory Gershon) made a highlight save on Clarke. Clarke had an open net and their goalie dove across and the puck hit his stick. If we go up, 3-0, at that time, it's a different game."

The Cardinals continue their road trip tonight at Brockport, which skated to a surprise 4-2 win over Potsdam on Friday night. In other SUNYAC action, league-leading Oswego crushed Buffalo State, 10-1, and Fredonia blanked Cortland, 5-0.
                        Last edited by norm1909; 01-23-2010, 06:13 AM.
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                          Trust me, Plattsburgh is in the tournament unless a major collapse occurs. JUST PER SAY..IF we lose to Oswego, but win out the remaining schedule (including a win @ Middlebury) that would put Platty at 18-3-4. And IF they don't win the SUNYAC Championship (if), we would have to rely on an at-large bid. And with Oswego and Noriwch favorites to win their respective conferences..Plattsburgh State and Elmira are among the first to get the nod for an at-large spot.

Not many SUNYAC out of conference games scheduled which could alter the future at large picture however this Sunday the M&M battle could be meaningful. Morrisville could sneak up on Manhattanville although for some reason the SUNYAC GIANT KILLER seems to play better away.

Go Morrisville.

Also...always better to fantasize while you can because frequently you no longer have the chance.

GO CARDS

Comment

Originally posted by Frazier View Post
                            Not many SUNYAC out of conference games scheduled which could alter the future at large picture however this Sunday the M&M battle could be meaningful. Morrisville could sneak up on Manhattanville although for some reason the SUNYAC GIANT KILLER seems to play better away.

Go Morrisville.

Also...always better to fantasize while you can because frequently you no longer have the chance.

GO CARDS
                            Even if Manhttanville does beat out Morrisville at home, I'm not sure if they're a threat to recieve an at-large bid come March. If the season ends tonight, this is the way it could happen.

Pool A (AQ)
                            Norwich
                            Curry
                            Gustavus Adolphus
                            Adrian
                            St.Norbert
                            Bowdoin
                            Oswego

Pool B (Winner)
                            Elmira

Pool C (Contenders)
                            Plattsburgh
                            CSS
                            Amherst
                            Hamline
                            Wisconsin River-Falls
                            Middlebury? (Lost both games over the weekend)

Just for fun. Other than the definitive tournament speculation thread..we should have the USCHO writers do some Bracketology.
                            Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                            1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                            21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Cardinal men defeat Brockport (Excerpt from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican article from 1/24/10)

Kyle Taylor and Jared Docking scored short-handed goals within a 40-second span, at 7:22 and 8:02, to give the Cardinals a 3-0 lead. Plattsburgh State then went on to record a 7-1 victory.

"The two short-handed goals were really the turning point in the game," said Plattsburgh State head coach Bob Emery. "It took the wind out of Brockport's sails.

"On the first, Matty MacLeod gave a great pass to Taylor and he made a great shot, one-touching it into the net. On the second, Docking made a great play on a breakaway."

"They have a great goalie (Todd Sheridan) who was off his game tonight," Emery said. "We were able to get under their skin.

"But, we did a good job breaking the puck out of our zone quickly. When Brockport got the puck in our zone, we were able to get it out fast."

"It was a good weekend for us," Emery said. "The guys rose to the occasion and we were able to get four points out of it. We're still a work in progress and we want to get better.

"Scoring goals is the key and we were able to score goals tonight."
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Clarkson or Castleton
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X