X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason III: Screw It, Somebody Look Up The Cheat Codes

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    If this happens, I would think not after this year, but after the 2010-11 season. That would be close to, if not a full, 4 years of his "new" recruiting techniques of less one-and-done superstars and more grinders/role players.
    I think there are a number of high profile ccha schools getting ready to hire and they pay a whole lot more than tech does. a whole lot. I say Russell gets a raise.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I think there are a number of high profile ccha schools getting ready to hire and they pay a whole lot more than tech does. a whole lot. I say Russell gets a raise.
      I could see a small raise with an incentive-based contract for sure. With the additions of UNO/BSU, it obviously gives MTU a better shot at the Tournament Formerly Known As The F5. And as we all know, once you are there, nothing really matters as for what happened in the regular season.

Dare I say F5* Champion?????

Well, if the Gophers let another team win it this year.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Which "high profile" CCHA schools are we talking about?

tOSU - Doesn't care too much about hockey outside of games against Michigan. Markell just got them into the NCAAs, which I'm sure their administration is content with, even if they were blown out by the eventual champion.

U of M - Is Red retiring? I haven't heard anything.

MSU - Comely won a national title two years ago and dealt with similar issues that Russell had to deal with last year (players constantly out of the lineup, etc.). While they will probably be keeping an eye on him, he'll probably get a pass on the 08-09 season if MSU climbs back into the top half of the conference within the next couple of seasons.

Notre Dame - Jackson is locked in there as long as he gets the rink he wants.

Miami - Is more than happy with Blasi, I'm sure.

Did I miss anyone? The CCHA schools who are (BGSU) or may be considering coaching changes (LSSU, WMU) aren't exactly "high profile" these days.

What's the scoop we don't know about, 'spreader?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Every CCHA school is high profile. Which is why they couldn't let a low profile team like UAH into their world-dominating conference
          @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
          I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

tOSU - Doesn't care too much about hockey outside of games against Michigan. Markell just got them into the NCAAs, which I'm sure their administration is content with, even if they were blown out by the eventual champion.

U of M - Is Red retiring? I haven't heard anything.

MSU - Comely won a national title two years ago and dealt with similar issues that Russell had to deal with last year (players constantly out of the lineup, etc.). While they will probably be keeping an eye on him, he'll probably get a pass on the 08-09 season if MSU climbs back into the top half of the conference within the next couple of seasons.

Notre Dame - Jackson is locked in there as long as he gets the rink he wants.

Miami - Is more than happy with Blasi, I'm sure.

Did I miss anyone? The CCHA schools who are (BGSU) or may be considering coaching changes (LSSU, WMU) aren't exactly "high profile" these days.

What's the scoop we don't know about, 'spreader?
            I'd betray a confidence if I said more. However I can say that it won't happen this year and most likely not next, but these schools already have their ear to the ground and are already thinking of who might be a fit. Think about the criteria they might come forward with. If you were Russell you'd be foolish to not consider the big salary and a bigger budget. I say Russell gets a Big raise and sure, performance incentives as well.
            Also yes, most of these programs are high profile.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
              3. Would you prefer a month and half before this season or after an 0-8 start or after another losing season. It obviously won't happen but I'm just looking at the writing on the wall based on the continuous bungling of recruiting and the woes that seem to continue. Why delay the agony?
              Writing on the wall? Bungling of recruiting? Am I missing something here? Looking at last year, I'd say the past two recruiting classes have been pretty good (Olson+Baker leading in scoring, Robo shutting out NMU). Also, the last time I checked, having a player bolt because of a pro contract isn't a sign of bad recruiting. And that guy who Russell successfully recruited, only to see him fail to pass his entrance exams? He was the top scorer in the WHL last season (115 points in 72 games, the most since 00-01). Again, I stress the fact that Russell successfully recruited these players and had them committed to the school.

So answer me this: how exactly is Russell bungling recruiting?
              Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
                So answer me this: how exactly is Russell bungling recruiting?
                By not bringing in a Phil Kessel or two every year to turn around a no-name program in 10 seconds
                @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
                I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

1. What job beside MTU do you see opening up anytime soon in the WCHA. If he came now he could always leave a few years down the road for greener pastures if that's what you're assuming he would do. Also most people strive to advance and a DI mens program in the WCHA is advancing over a womens team regardless of the schools.

2. The previous coach at UW had the same recruiting abilities as he does now without the same success. He's doing something right obviously.

3. Would you prefer a month and half before this season or after an 0-8 start or after another losing season. It obviously won't happen but I'm just looking at the writing on the wall based on the continuous bungling of recruiting and the woes that seem to continue. Why delay the agony?
                  I hope JR coaches Tech for many more years, just to **** you off.
                  ex. games don't count.
                  You seriously think Tech will lose to LSSU? Maybe you should believe in your team a little bit more, since we have no idea what kind of team this will be. Throw last season out the window, it doesn't matter, anything can happen in a new season, ask Northeastern.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'd betray a confidence if I said more. However I can say that it won't happen this year and most likely not next, but these schools already have their ear to the ground and are already thinking of who might be a fit. Think about the criteria they might come forward with. If you were Russell you'd be foolish to not consider the big salary and a bigger budget. I say Russell gets a Big raise and sure, performance incentives as well.
                    Also yes, most of these programs are high profile.
                    Assuming this is true, and assuming that some "high-profile" CCHA schools would actually be interested in trying to lure JR away from Houghton, I think he would be likely to take into account that he's currently leading his alma mater's program, a position he has often referred to as his dream job. He'd look at the current support from major donors and the MTU administration - both are solid. He'd look at his current recruiting situation, in which he can easily "sell" a school that he graduated from and a town that he knows a lot about.

Not everyone is charmed by the prospect of a big salary, especially if they are very happy in the position they currently hold. Also keep in mind that Russell's salary is downright enormous compared to the per capita income and overall cost of living in the Keweenaw.

Comment

I'm with you on that one. Which ccha program would be looking to entice Russell away from Tech? And Why? He is a good fit for Tech and I think you only set the program back -once again - by changing coaches. Are his numbers really there to draw lots of interest from a ccha school?

Ferris: I know nothing of their current coaching situation, but Russell has former ties. Maybe someone there really likes him

Western: Inside info tells me there are a lot of people unhappy with their coach. But the administration likes him. So I don't see a change there.

BGSU: From what I hear they may be lucky if they have a hockey program at all in the next few years.

MSU: I have found very few msu alums who like comely, Another bad year or two and he could be gone. And when they do make the change it will be for nothing less than a very high profile coach.

UofM: Highest profile team in the league. And there has been much spectulation that Berenson will be stepping down in the next few years. But will they look outside for a coach? From what I've read and heard Mel Pearson has the inside track on that job. Other programs have wanted Mel. But he has stayed on at UofM, because Red is grooming him for the top job.

And IF UofM should pass over Mel, and at that time we haven't seen much improvement at Tech. -- Then Mel Pearson is the one Tech needs to go after!!!!! That is if he would be willing to come back. Short of that, any coaching changes at Tech would be counterproductive.

And on another note-

Blake Pietila was drafted in the OHL draft by the Windsor Spitfires. He has visited with the team and is on the record as saying he wants to play for the Spits and play in the OHL. (His parents don't want him to go that route). So we'll see who wins that battle.

Scouting report I have on Blake: Avg size, avg speed, always works hard, 100% effort at both ends of the ice, good hands, good passer.

NOT the high scoring machine who will turn around the tech hockey program in 5 seconds. (darn, but does that player really exist anywhere at all?)

Comment

We're a part of Michigan, too!

No wonder they're having a hard time recruiting the blue chippers... the UP isn't even on the map!

Post 5,000... just to keep you guys down.
                        I was told there would be no math...

Comment

speaking of gopher fans since melmac showed up...it appears that the gopher nation and twin cities mtu alumni will be watching the Minnesota vs MTU games from the new MacInnes Suite...details have not been finalized yet but it is in the works...can you just imagine all of those gopher fans being able to drink while attending a game at MacInnes?
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It's almost time, kiddies...he's coming back for more...

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4vPlacGDq4&hl=en&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4vPlacGDq4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              And on another note-

Blake Pietila was drafted in the OHL draft by the Windsor Spitfires. He has visited with the team and is on the record as saying he wants to play for the Spits and play in the OHL. (His parents don't want him to go that route). So we'll see who wins that battle.

Scouting report I have on Blake: Avg size, avg speed, always works hard, 100% effort at both ends of the ice, good hands, good passer.

NOT the high scoring machine who will turn around the tech hockey program in 5 seconds. (darn, but does that player really exist anywhere at all?)
                              Apparently the U17 team missed your scouting report before they signed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                                It's almost time, kiddies...he's coming back for more...

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4vPlacGDq4&hl=en&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4vPlacGDq4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                                Ah, the rites of fall...

LOS FOREVER!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X