Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey Inc.

From the CHN article on LIU starting a program:

College Hockey Inc., the marketing arm of college hockey, which works closely with many schools exploring the idea of adding NCAA hockey programs, was likewise unaware of this development, according to a source.
    Can we discuss the purpose of College Hockey Inc.? They take piles of money from the NHL to produce studies that essentially say “hey if you’ve got the money to start a program it would work!” Well, no kidding, but the “if you’ve got the money” part is pretty important. None of the schools that these studies have been produced for have started a team.

Meanwhile, expansion happens without their knowledge whatsoever, AND we never hear a peep from College Hockey Inc. trying to save the three programs that are in danger of folding, just pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking at schools that will never have hockey.

What the heck is the point?

Re: College Hockey Inc.

Originally posted by AMC View Post

Can we discuss the purpose of College Hockey Inc.? They take piles of money from the NHL to produce studies that essentially say “hey if you’ve got the money to start a program it would work!” Well, no kidding, but the “if you’ve got the money” part is pretty important. None of the schools that these studies have been produced for have started a team.

Meanwhile, expansion happens without their knowledge whatsoever, AND we never hear a peep from College Hockey Inc. trying to save the three programs that are in danger of folding, just pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking at schools that will never have hockey.

I agree. I would like to see a report of how many potential student athletes have chosen Major Junior hockey over the college hockey route, and vice versa, since they are also responsible for educating this market of players prior to the OHL/Major Junior draft.
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

How effective are their studies when LIU is launching a program without the piles of cash allegedly needed?

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
        I agree. I would like to see a report of how many potential student athletes have chosen Major Junior hockey over the college hockey route, and vice versa, since they are also responsible for educating this market of players prior to the OHL/Major Junior draft.
        I don’t know the numbers offhand, but the increasing share of NHL games played by NCAA alums is, I’m guessing, a pretty good hint.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

College Hockey Inc. is also responsible for the commitment list here. Chris Heisenberg does a better job.

Note: Change https to http.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think you're missing the point of that statement. The point is it looks silly for LIU to jump in willy-nilly - rather than look bad for CHI

Comment

How do we know they are jumping in willy-nilly? Because they never told Adam Wodon?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                How do we know they are jumping in willy-nilly? Because they never told Adam Wodon?
                I don't know - maybe it's not having a coach, roster, arena, conference or schedule - and wanting to play in the fall

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Wodon is hardly the only person expressing that surprise.

He’s just the one that’s least likely to pull punches when pointing it out.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I think College Hockey Inc. has done a great job siphoning talent from major junior to the NCAA, but I also agree with the general impression that they are uninterested in any non-Power 5 schools joining the D1 ranks, or truthfully, the existing non-Power 5 D1 hockey schools remaining D1. It's all Illinois or bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                      I think College Hockey Inc. has done a great job siphoning talent from major junior to the NCAA, but I also agree with the general impression that they are uninterested in any non-Power 5 schools joining the D1 ranks, or truthfully, the existing non-Power 5 D1 hockey schools remaining D1. It's all Illinois or bust.
                      I have no idea what this is based on, and I’m willing to bet that neither do you.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                        I think you're missing the point of that statement. The point is it looks silly for LIU to jump in willy-nilly - rather than look bad for CHI
                        I think both can be true?

Yes, this seems rash from LIU and I am skeptical of how it goes.

On the other hand, LIU has (nominal) D-I women's hockey. That doesn't warrant a phone call or something from CHI to see if there's a men's program in the pipeline?

Comment

Just because people are surprised by the news does not mean LIU didn't do their homework. Having a women's team already in place certainly helps in that planning. Wanting to play in the fall certainly seems ambitious but I am willing to see how this unfolds before I get on them for not doing their homework.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            I have no idea what this is based on, and I’m willing to bet that neither do you.
                            Relax. It's just an observation based on reading and listening to most college hockey related media. I never claimed inside knowledge. It's called a FAN forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                              That would be rather absurd to think. Of course they're interested. But you can't make a school be interested back. CHI has no power to make any school do anything -- and can't even help them if they're not interested themselves. That never was their mission and never will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X