2020 B1G Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 B1G Tournament

Well I saw a number of team threads bringing up points about the tournament so let's bring the comments, observations and predictions here.

Re: 2020 B1G Tournament

You know where i stand on this format. The second round should be best 2 of 3. I saw your post elsewhere about what is more important or valued more. I give more credit to a 6 month process than getting hot over 3 weekends. If it were me the auto bid would go to the regular season champion.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      You know where i stand on this format. The second round should be best 2 of 3. I saw your post elsewhere about what is more important or valued more. I give more credit to a 6 month process than getting hot over 3 weekends. If it were me the auto bid would go to the regular season champion.
      Then you also saw where I said the conference doesn't do the 3 game second round or championship because they want what teams make it to the dance to be reasonably healthy to make a strong push for the conference.
      Let's face it the NCAA tournament is the real brass ring and the regular season and tournament titles are just a bit of extra icing on that cake.

Comment

I just don't see any one team as dominate in the B1G this season and the season's points don't give an accurate perspective to how much parity there is to those outside the conference.
        Any one of the 7 teams could realistically win the tournament in my opinion and home ice will only be a slight advantage.

Comment

Wisconsin will not win.

They’re on a 4-1-1 run right now, but I figure there’s a regression to the mean on the horizon more than I see them as having finally turned the corner.

The bad turnovers and anemic defending hasn’t disappeared, they just haven’t been paying for it like usual.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Wisconsin will not win.

They’re on a 4-1-1 run right now, but I figure there’s a regression to the mean on the horizon more than I see them as having finally turned the corner.

The bad turnovers and anemic defending hasn’t disappeared, they just haven’t been paying for it like usual.
            I hate to say it but they played fairly decent last weekend.

Comment

Yeah, probably the best they’ve looked since the UMD sweep early this year.

As much as I want to make a more concerted effort to be less negative in my life, I stand by my reasoning. My expectations are very, very low.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                My expectations are very, very low.
                A little sandbagging perhaps?
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So if Wisconsin somehow takes the weekend, would that mean OSU is out? Being 11th is REALLY close to not being in, and getting beaten twice would be pretty bad.

Other than PSU (and maybe OSU) everyone must win it all to get to the figure skate.

I hate the format, too. I'm STILL mad that the B1G never once promoted the tournaments in Minneapolis or Detroit- which resulted in lower turn out than the CCHA did when we visited that. Had they just gotten to that level, it would have been a fun weekend. Instead of actually pushing that for a fun and mixed weekend, the B1G just showed all of us their contempt for college hockey and just said "you deal with it". Had they really done a good job at that, we'd all have one more weekend of potential playing time instead of heading into the tournament this weekend.

And it would be nice if just one more school added- 8 teams in best of 3 for one weekend, and then followed by final 4 the next. Would work great.

Oh, well, gotta deal with what we have.

Our weekend is really up to how MSU deals with our team. Do they do what Notre Dame did? If yes- we lose. If no- maybe we get some scoring back and take it. Still, better than last season where we just needed ONE point in the last two weekends to host at Yost, and got swept for the last 6 games. Hosting is a big deal for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    A little sandbagging perhaps?
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CHN’s pairwise probability matrix has them at 6% chance to win their tourney.

That’s probably 5-6% better than any other conference 7-seed (likely to change once we see the Nacho and HOCKEY RAST fields). I guess that’s something.

Comment

I tell you Alpha it's crazy how expectations have gone out the window from one weekend to the next this season. Personally I'd like to see Ohio State & Michigan advance and have you down here which would be where we met last time in the playoffs, at Nationwide Arena, the Jackets home ice but what I'd like to see and what will happen next weekend is anybody's guess.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        So if Wisconsin somehow takes the weekend, would that mean OSU is out? Being 11th is REALLY close to not being in, and getting beaten twice would be pretty bad.
                        CHN currently has them as a 56% chance to get an at-large. But I’d imagine dropping two to a ~30 PWR team won’t help much.

Comment

Some have brought it up on your team threads but woman's basketball gets the nod over our tournament on BTN.
                          Do they REALLY bring in more viewers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            Some have brought it up on your team threads but woman's basketball gets the nod over our tournament on BTN.
                            Do they REALLY bring in more viewers?
                            My guess is that they do.

Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Rutgers & Maryland don't have D1 hockey programs, and thus a following. But every one has a women's basketball team.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Wisconsin has a HUGE spoiler role to play this weekend. OSU is particularly PWR vulnerable right now (6-7-3 since Jan.). If Wis wins the 1st round, OSU will drop like a rock and most likely their season is over. Even one L against Wis. and OSU will lose a lot of PWR traction and most likely be on the bubble depending on the outcome of Gophers/ND (series), Mass-Lowell/UConn and Maine/Providence.

BTW the CHN's PPM is based upon KRACH making their MLE methodology essentially meaningless. Randomly assigned outcomes may avoid an availability heuristic, but there are obvious confounds in their inferential data. The CHN's assumption that each data point is generated independently and represents a Gaussian distribution is not true for all data points, therefore it is not a pure omnibus probability density model.

Comment

Working...
                              X