Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Only 14 days to go before the puck drops for the 68th Beanpot Tournament at TD Garden, in Boston, and all the civilized world waits to see if once-bedraggled Northeastern can pull off the first Beanpot threepeat in its long hockey history. And it’s not too soon to start the cross-town sniping, snarkiness, and lobbing of gratuitous insults between and among the four fanbases. Since I’m above all that, I’ll just offer to start this year’s thread with some humble thumbnails of the contenders, in alphabetical order:
    Boston College: Notwithstanding the fact that regular season standings tend to be irrelevant in Beanpot play, it certainly looks like the 2020 Beanpot is BC’s to lose. The Eagles sit one point behind UMass in the Hockey East standings (with two games-in-hand) and have the best overall record plus best goal differential (a whopping +36) of the Beanpot teams. And if that’s not enough, toss in this year’s wunderkind freshman goaltender. But strange things happen in Beanpot play so nobody should be surprised if something strange keeps the pot away from upper Commonwealth Ave.

Boston University: On top of this probably not being the best year to draw BC in the first round, BU finds itself in the midst of a mediocre season, at least by BU standards. The Terriers have struggled to get to .500 and have the narrowest goal differential (+6). So, this isn’t your father’s (or even big brother’s) BU. But although strange things have happened in Beanpot play, even stranger things have happened in the long, storied rivalry involving three miles of Commonwealth Ave. Exhibit A: Saturday’s nailbiter at Chestnut Hill. So, expect the unexpected.

Harvard: As usual, Harvard comes in as something of an enigma, with one-sided wins over Yale (7-0) and QPac (7-2) offset by an embarrassing loss to the same QPac (6-1) and a tie at bottom-feeder Princeton. Notably, the Johns have also lost to both BC and BU. But Harvard does know how to score (+20 goal differential) and has played the fewest games, so maybe they’re still finding their groove. So, which is the real Harvard: The one that’s 3-5-2 in their last 10 or the one that can put the puck in the net? Hopefully, both of their fans show up to find out.

Northeastern: Although NU already has the Friendship Four (Belfast) championship under its belt, its play has been wildly inconsistent, with the Huskies dominating offensively for stretches but also getting pinned in its own end for other stretches. Result: Nice wins vs Providence, UNH, and UMass offset by puzzling losses to the same UNH and …..UConn? Ummm, BU too. Maybe that comes with having 11 freshmen on the roster. All of that being said, if the NU that shows up at the Garden is the same one that played so well in Belfast, a threepeat might well be in the cards.

BTW, NU and BC have yet to meet each other this season so, providing neither looks past its first-round opponent, an NU-BC final could prove enticing.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Why isn't Bentley part of the Beanpot? They should at least be part of a play-in game. No reason for the 0-2 Beanpot team to get an auto-bid.
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

It’s BC’s turn. They are firing on all cylinders at the right time.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
        Why isn't Bentley part of the Beanpot? They should at least be part of a play-in game. No reason for the 0-2 Beanpot team to get an auto-bid.
        1) It's a closed club
        2) Bentley is not located in Boston (nor are much of BC and Harvard although goodly chunks of both campuses are physically in Boston).
        Last edited by Split-N; 01-20-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

No reason for the 0-2 Beanpot team to get an auto-bid.
          Yes there is. It's called 70 years years of history.

Comment

Um...maybe because they're not a Boston school?

Comment

Bentley, Lowell, Merrimack and Holy Cross should start a just outside of Boston Beanpot

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Bentley, Lowell, Merrimack and Holy Cross should start a just outside of Boston Beanpot
                😂
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Please stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    1) It's a closed club
                    2) Bentley is not located in Boston (nor are much of BC and Harvard although goodly chunks of both campuses are physically in Boston).
                    All 4 rinks are physically in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                      Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Conte Forum (BC) is actually in Newton. Agganis Arena (BU), Bright Hockey Center (H), and Matthews Arena (NU) are all indisputably in Boston.

Comment

I remember this being a big thing and someone breaking down zoning maps etc. I couldn't tell you which parts of BC are in Chestnut Hill, Newton, Boston etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Conte Forum (BC) is actually in Newton. Agganis Arena (BU), Bright Hockey Center (H), and Matthews Arena (NU) are all indisputably in Boston.
                          You’re wrong. Feel corrected.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                            Correct

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I remember this being a big thing and someone breaking down zoning maps etc. I couldn't tell you which parts of BC are in Chestnut Hill, Newton, Boston etc.
                              conte is in boston, yes.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X