RIP George "Obserbear" Griggs 1949-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP George "Obserbear" Griggs 1949-2019

In a different thread user Bearcat inquired about the absence of Obserbear and I found the bad news that the women's ice hockey world has lost a passionate supporter. Mr. George Griggs passed away this past April following a three year battle with cancer. Mr. Griggs' passion for Middlebury WIH, NESCAC WIH and DIII hockey as a whole earned him a well deserved Joe Burke Award from the AHCA in 2017.

I think I speak for many of us who post here that we'll miss his insight into this sport we care so much about, and his diplomatic nature when threads turned into debates is something I've always personally admired and aspire to.

RIP Obserbear.

Re: RIP George "Obserbear" Griggs 1949-2019

I will definitely miss George’s contributions on this forum. Like you said, he was always able to stay level-headed when there was some controversy or difference of opinion and conversation spiraled into a debate or argument. I think most of us will miss that.

But more than anything, I will miss chatting with George at games. He was always at the Panther/Cardinal Classic, the East/West Classic, and any other games between top teams. I often spent a lot of time during intermissions or between games analyzing the play on the ice with him, and I was always impressed with how much detail he could pick up on. I do regret that the last time I saw him, I was too busy to talk to him for as long as I would have liked...

All of that said, I do take solace in knowing that his suffering is over. He knew the cancer would be terminal years ago, and was very open about acknowledging that any one hockey game he attended could be his last. He once told me that ever day was a struggle just to get out of bed, and some days were worse than others. So, while reflecting on the things we will all miss about George, it is a bit comforting to know that he no longer has to fight every single day.

RIP my friend.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I too will definitely miss George’s contributions. Had the pleasure of talking with George during my D's time toiling for the Ephs.

Stick taps and RIP

Comment

Never had the pleasure of meeting him but thoroughly enjoyed his contributions to the forum. He brought fairmindedness and insight and I will miss that.

RIP George, hope you're enjoying a great game up there!

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
          Never had the pleasure of meeting him but thoroughly enjoyed his contributions to the forum. He brought fairmindedness and insight and I will miss that.

RIP George, hope you're enjoying a great game up there!
          Sad news.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            I will definitely miss George’s contributions on this forum. Like you said, he was always able to stay level-headed when there was some controversy or difference of opinion and conversation spiraled into a debate or argument. I think most of us will miss that.

But more than anything, I will miss chatting with George at games. He was always at the Panther/Cardinal Classic, the East/West Classic, and any other games between top teams. I often spent a lot of time during intermissions or between games analyzing the play on the ice with him, and I was always impressed with how much detail he could pick up on. I do regret that the last time I saw him, I was too busy to talk to him for as long as I would have liked...

All of that said, I do take solace in knowing that his suffering is over. He knew the cancer would be terminal years ago, and was very open about acknowledging that any one hockey game he attended could be his last. He once told me that ever day was a struggle just to get out of bed, and some days were worse than others. So, while reflecting on the things we will all miss about George, it is a bit comforting to know that he no longer has to fight every single day.

RIP my friend.
            I too unfortunately have the same last memory of working a game at Kreitzberg, probably last year’s East/West Classic and not being able to talk to George as much as I would have liked and brushed him off a bit. He would always come up and say hi while I was preparing for the game at my perch.

When I got the email from Coach Mandigo last spring that George passed, I had a bit of a pit in my stomach. I’ve wanted to reach out to his partner and his daughter for quite some time to send my condolences but haven’t been able to put everything into words yet.

George traveled ALL OVER the East to watch and support women’s hockey. I’m not sure if many remember, he was actually the D3 correspondent for USCHO for a little while, I believe he predated me and then I might have been the one to take over for him afterwards.

I remember seeing him at Plattsburgh, Elmira, Williams, Trinity, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Amherst, Norwich and RIT over the years.

As Nate said, no more pain and Rest In Peace George:

Thank you for your contributions and passion to Division 3 women’s hockey. You’re sorely missed in this community.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
            X