Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I have been around long enough to remember the 1967 SC won by the Leafs, their 13th and last one. Indeed, that SC was the last before expansion of the NHL. That Leafs team was loaded, with the likes of Frank Mahovlich, Dave Keon (won Conn Smythe that year), Red Kelly (8 SC’s), Pete Stemkowski, Bob Pulford, Eddie Shack, Marcel Pronovost, and Jim Pappin (4 G, 4 A in that SC), with Terry Sawchuck and Johnny Bower (42 yo for his fourth SC) in net, and Punch Imlach as coach (love those nicknames). The Leafs won it in six that year against the Canadians, a team that featured Yvon Cournoyer, Ralph Backstrom, John Ferguson, Henri Richard (the Pocket Rocket), and Jean Beliveau, with Roger Vachon in net.

Our parents gave my brother and me one of those table top hockey games in the early 60’s, which we played endlessly. There were six metal players per team, which could be switched out on their spring-loaded swivel posts attached to long horizontal metal arms underneath five slots that overlapped the length of the "ice," with rubber-coated twisty knobs at the ends of the board.

There were on-ice sidewall indentations on both sides at the blue lines, probably to provide structural support to the board, and we immediately discovered that we could trap the little plastic puck against these indentations with the metal D-men and really get the puck to fly with the spring-loaded pivots, much like real slap shots! We had dozens of metal springs on hand for replacements. The metal goalies could not only move back and forth in front of the net, but also outward to the top of the crease to “fight” the center man’s possession of the puck.

There was a metal plate embedded at the back of each net attached to a wire to activate a red light on the end board to simulate a goal scored. Our father attached two large heavy ballasts from lighting fixtures on the external sides of the boards to mitigate lifting of the entire board into the air with our exuberance. The insides of the boards were painted with dozens of fans waving their arms.

We knew the names of all 20 players on each of the six teams, and took turns narrating the play by play (one of us for the Bruins, the other brother for one of the other five teams), just like our favorite Bruins radio guy who lived in central New Hampshire at the time (I need to look up his name). I do not recall that many college hockey players made it to the NHL back then, and for years the only American-born NHL player was Tom Williams from Minnesota, who played on the Bruins first line (the BOW Line), with Murray Oliver and John Bucyk (aka The Chief). Fun times.
    I must have had the MUCH cheaper version of this game, but loved it. As e.cat said, the slapper from the D-zone was always great for catching the opponent off guard. Seemed like I was always either in search of the ball-bearing puck or trying to bend back one of the rods after a particularly animated matchup.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      e.cat you just confirmed the approximate time frame for me. My game was essentially the same but didn't have all the lights etc. My father created our own NHL where each of the 6 teams played each other 5 time, then a 2out of 3 play off of the top 4 and the the Cup series. Played 3 10 minute running time periods. Some big scores on occasion and a much longer season than anticipated. usually 2 games a night with each of us switching off who we were to make it more even. Loved that game! Played after school with friends.
      Thanks for the memory Snively.
      Speaking of hockey, Go Cats!!!!
      Good memories ATW:-)

GO CATS!
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
        e.cat you just confirmed the approximate time frame for me. My game was essentially the same but didn't have all the lights etc. My father created our own NHL where each of the 6 teams played each other 5 time, then a 2out of 3 play off of the top 4 and the the Cup series. Played 3 10 minute running time periods. Some big scores on occasion and a much longer season than anticipated. usually 2 games a night with each of us switching off who we were to make it more even. Loved that game! Played after school with friends.
        Thanks for the memory Snively.
        Speaking of hockey, Go Cats!!!!
        When my grandson "almost" started to beat me at our table hockey game I turned it over to his grandmother ... who never faked a win by the grandchildren at anything. She won.
        Glad your memory of the game was enhanced "after the whistle". Another win over Michigan would be uplifting .......

Comment

• Crookshank Engaras Grasso top line Go 'CATS!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
            Drove up from DC this morning. In Portsmouth now. What time are you getting to Libby’s?
            Commute took 2.5 hours this evening, too late for Libby's, but arrived in time to watch practice from my not so usual general admission, standing-room-only, top row seat, right side of band looking at ice. Usually I stand top row left of band for first period, so hoping that this switch brings us some puck luck tonight. :-)

Comment

16:25 Mich penalty. Here comes the PP!!

Comment

Disappointing, trouble entering zone and setting up. Mich very aggressive on PK.

Comment

There is your secondary scoring, Dan.

I like how Sacco grabbed that puck as a souvenir for Chase Stevenson. :-)

Seems weird not having Umile and Berenson coaching against one another.

Comment

Hey you catch up after the first!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Souza obviously lit a fire this week

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        We knew the names of all 20 players on each of the six teams, and took turns narrating the play by play (one of us for the Bruins, the other brother for one of the other five teams), just like our favorite Bruins radio guy who lived in central New Hampshire at the time (I need to look up his name). I do not recall that many college hockey players made it to the NHL back then, and for years the only American-born NHL player was Tom Williams from Minnesota, who played on the Bruins first line (the BOW Line), with Murray Oliver and John Bucyk (aka The Chief). Fun times.
                        My first NHL hockey memories began with fiddling with the UHF antenna to get the B's and Bobby Orr on the former Channel 38, Bruins Highlights with Tom Larson (for kids who couldn't stay up past the first period or two), and meeting some of the B's (and their kids) up at my uncle's Lynnfield MA home back in the late '60's. My cousins would regale the rest of us with tales of going to school every day with various offsprings of the B's and (of course) Carl Yastrzemski. I could only counter with going to school with a cousin of the Conigliaro brothers - which was actually a pretty big deal at the time.

Also met future NBA HoF coach Don Nelson at an autograph session at a long-since-departed retail store in Lynn (Greg's hometown), when there was no line at all - they'd just won the '69 NBA title, and Nelson's shot in Game 7 held the Lakers off late. But apparently that line was literally out the door and into the lot the previous day, when Bucyk was there. The B's were so huge, and the Celts (who had just won 11 titles in 13 years in the Russell era) were an absolute afterthought. My, how things have changed in 50 years.

Not 100% sure, but my guess on the B's radio announcer would be Bob Wilson, who handled those duties for decades, probably longer even than Fred Cusick on the TV side.

Be sure to give Mr. Palmer my regards tomorrow night at the Monkey, Snives …
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I saw that - so cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            My first NHL hockey memories began with fiddling with the UHF antenna to get the B's and Bobby Orr on the former Channel 38, Bruins Highlights with Tom Larson (for kids who couldn't stay up past the first period or two), and meeting some of the B's (and their kids) up at my uncle's Lynnfield MA home back in the late '60's. My cousins would regale the rest of us with tales of going to school every day with various offsprings of the B's and (of course) Carl Yastrzemski. I could only counter with going to school with a cousin of the Conigliaro brothers - which was actually a pretty big deal at the time.

Also met future NBA HoF coach Don Nelson at an autograph session at a long-since-departed retail store in Lynn (Greg's hometown), when there was no line at all - they'd just won the '69 NBA title, and Nelson's shot in Game 7 held the Lakers off late. But apparently that line was literally out the door and into the lot the previous day, when Bucyk was there. The B's were so huge, and the Celts (who had just won 11 titles in 13 years in the Russell era) were an absolute afterthought. My, how things have changed in 50 years.

Not 100% sure, but my guess on the B's radio announcer would be Bob Wilson, who handled those duties for decades, probably longer even than Fred Cusick on the TV side.

Be sure to give Mr. Palmer my regards tomorrow night at the Monkey, Snives …
                            Yes, Chuck! My brother and I loved listening to Bob Wilson, and tried to imitate him. :-)

Oh, yeah, I will try to say hello to Carl for you.

Comment

Garbage call!

Comment

Gonna be a long night. NH scores at 12:10, Mich scores at 5:60 on PP. Now Mich on 2nd PP.

Comment

Working...
                                X