Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Well exactly Chuck and Dan, gotta appreciate the talent right before your eyes. Of course we have a ton of hockey left this season and to worry about who's gonna be where next year is way too much for me to fathom at this point lol. But I'm reminded of the song "don't it always go to show, that you don't know what you got til it's gone" or this little diddy:

When I'm gone
    When I'm gone
    You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
    You're gonna miss me by my hair
    You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh
    You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

So...savor every minute of it which is exactly what this fan intends on doing...GO 'CATS!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-03-2019, 08:26 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Ref that is hard to hear and can't imagine what would bring that on. He is just looking so good. Can anyone name 2 D-men who were better in the past 20-25 years? I will come clean that during the freshmen year debates on his turnovers, I did not come forward with what I saw, and was feeling. What I was feeling was he was a great work in progress and in need of some coaching and film work. But never wavered in being pleased as punch that he was a wildcat! But as some noted, and were castigated for was turnovers that led to scores. I can tell you that i saw several but saw them as part of the work in progress. He is now so smooth and controlled. He and his partner were like silk on Friday night, a true joy to watch. Max has obviously had some solid coaching, feedback and 2 summers of NHL experience to pull a strong skill set together to make him a special player that we should all be thankful for.
      AMEN to that!!!!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Well exactly Chuck and Dan, gotta appreciate the talent right before your eyes. Of course we have a ton of hockey left this season and to worry about who's gonna be where next year is way too much for me to fathom at this point lol.
        Key part will be, what can MS7 accomplish with this year's team, how can he continue to parlay that into recruiting success, and how can he ensure that the "next Gildon" or the next whomever is never all that far away? Or maybe sometimes even having multiple "Gildons"?? Most programs are able to get a top notch recruit here and there … the successful programs are able to get multiples frequently, and thus the roster has (at least) strong top-four depth on the blue line, and 3 forward lines that can each hold their own and contribute significantly to the scoring. Plus a decent goalie or two …

… although to be a heretic, there are many examples at this level of a Grade B goalie (i.e. good enough to win at this level, but likely not NHL starting caliber) who's good enough to win games for the depth of skaters playing in front of him. BC won four Nationals with one guy (Clemmensen) who crested his pro career as an NHL back-up, after several years in the minors - not unlike a certain Ty Conklin at UNH - while John Muse (2) and Parker Milner were good enough to backstop D-1 champions, but never really came close to making The Show. UNH may have a goalie right now whose future outlook could be just like any of those guys, frankly.

When UNH was at its best, they usually had tons of firepower up front. Not unlike BC, they had goalies who were probably good enough to succeed at the level they were playing at, although I'm tempted to say that Matile/Milner and Ayers/Muse comparisons - leaving out quality of play in front of them - may still be shaded slightly towards the BC guys. But where UNH always seemed to be a player or two short - and ironically, it's something they seem to have been recruiting much better in the last decade or so - was seemingly always on the blue line. And in retrospect, having good goalies playing behind teams that might have one solid pairing, and basically two 3rd pairings after that, puts a lot of pressure on those goalies. If you are four deep with top defenders on your top two pairings, that can cover over a lot of decent-but-not-stellar goalie play.

If any of Coach Umile's four FF teams had a threesome of Gildon/Wyse/Maass or even TvR/Knodel/Pesce from a few years ago, there's a good chance they would have won at least one of those events.

If MS7 can develop more quality attacking play up front over the course of this season and next, and guys like Gildon (and maybe Robinson too) stick around for their senior years, there's a decent chance UNH could really make some noise next season. Maybe the best way for that to happen is to start making some of that "noise" THIS year, further boost your program's recruiting profile, convince one or two guys to stick around … and with a few breaks here or there, you never know. But at the very least, you get positive momentum going, and that makes getting more top notch players more realistic, rather than just wishful thinking.

So yeah … enjoy some of these guys while they're still here, sure … but keep in mind that having more and more top players in the program makes for that program's success. Winning begets more winning. Let's say, last year's team started to rid themselves of the previous years' losing program stank. Maybe that's one reason why there were so many GD ties last year? So far this year, it seems there is evidence some of those ties are now turning into W's. The goals this year should be to post a winning record, get to Boston for the HE Tourney, and at least be in the conversation for the national tourney. Slowly but steadily reverse the trend that saw UNH gradually slipping away from national prominence for a decade-plus, and start to sniff at/compete in some of those season-ending, hardware-involved events again. The ones that really matter. We may have a much better idea whether any of this is realistic by the time December rolls around. JMHO.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Key part will be, what can MS7 accomplish with this year's team, how can he continue to parlay that into recruiting success, and how can he ensure that the "next Gildon" or the next whomever is never all that far away? Or maybe sometimes even having multiple "Gildons"?? Most programs are able to get a top notch recruit here and there … the successful programs are able to get multiples frequently, and thus the roster has (at least) strong top-four depth on the blue line, and 3 forward lines that can each hold their own and contribute significantly to the scoring. Plus a decent goalie or two …

… although to be a heretic, there are many examples at this level of a Grade B goalie (i.e. good enough to win at this level, but likely not NHL starting caliber) who's good enough to win games for the depth of skaters playing in front of him. BC won four Nationals with one guy (Clemmensen) who crested his pro career as an NHL back-up, after several years in the minors - not unlike a certain Ty Conklin at UNH - while John Muse (2) and Parker Milner were good enough to backstop D-1 champions, but never really came close to making The Show. UNH may have a goalie right now whose future outlook could be just like any of those guys, frankly.

When UNH was at its best, they usually had tons of firepower up front. Not unlike BC, they had goalies who were probably good enough to succeed at the level they were playing at, although I'm tempted to say that Matile/Milner and Ayers/Muse comparisons - leaving out quality of play in front of them - may still be shaded slightly towards the BC guys. But where UNH always seemed to be a player or two short - and ironically, it's something they seem to have been recruiting much better in the last decade or so - was seemingly always on the blue line. And in retrospect, having good goalies playing behind teams that might have one solid pairing, and basically two 3rd pairings after that, puts a lot of pressure on those goalies. If you are four deep with top defenders on your top two pairings, that can cover over a lot of decent-but-not-stellar goalie play.

If any of Coach Umile's four FF teams had a threesome of Gildon/Wyse/Maass or even TvR/Knodel/Pesce from a few years ago, there's a good chance they would have won at least one of those events.

If MS7 can develop more quality attacking play up front over the course of this season and next, and guys like Gildon (and maybe Robinson too) stick around for their senior years, there's a decent chance UNH could really make some noise next season. Maybe the best way for that to happen is to start making some of that "noise" THIS year, further boost your program's recruiting profile, convince one or two guys to stick around … and with a few breaks here or there, you never know. But at the very least, you get positive momentum going, and that makes getting more top notch players more realistic, rather than just wishful thinking.

So yeah … enjoy some of these guys while they're still here, sure … but keep in mind that having more and more top players in the program makes for that program's success. Winning begets more winning. Let's say, last year's team started to rid themselves of the previous years' losing program stank. Maybe that's one reason why there were so many GD ties last year? So far this year, it seems there is evidence some of those ties are now turning into W's. The goals this year should be to post a winning record, get to Boston for the HE Tourney, and at least be in the conversation for the national tourney. Slowly but steadily reverse the trend that saw UNH gradually slipping away from national prominence for a decade-plus, and start to sniff at/compete in some of those season-ending, hardware-involved events again. The ones that really matter. We may have a much better idea whether any of this is realistic by the time December rolls around. JMHO.
          Excellent points here Chuck learned alot about what it really takes to be a consistent contender. Of course all ya gotta do is take a look around and see what others have achieved, and some, like PC or UML, in short order too I might add. Not to bemoan the facts but losing out on a few of the top guns we WERE going to get next year and beyond doesn't help but that happens to all programs. NEXT.

Going forward, I see our coaching staff out looking for quality players and beginning this process, and I like what I've seen so far from this year's crop in Griffin and Stevenson, especially. You see Crookshank turning it on and excellent play from Kelleher/Pierson are making things exciting. Obviously the D was Souza's first order of concern and we see that has taken shape beautifully. Our PP is doing great things hope that continues.

You're right...it's early yet. Monday morning next week we will know even more about our 'Cats and how they respond to what will be the toughest opponent yet to come skate at Towse rink...and certainly by the start of December after facing Maine and Michigan. GO 'CATS!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-04-2019, 09:34 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Congrats to Angus Crookshank for his "Hockey East Player of the Week" status!! And...it's nice to see UNH receiving some votes (12) in the poll this week. Small things, but, not often seen! More of this please and thank you. GO 'CATS!
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-04-2019, 01:31 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              When all is said and done (and NCAA and NHL careers are evaluated) the three best defenseman in UNH Hockey history will probably be (in order of appearance) Rod Langway, Brett Pesce and Max Gildon. Especially considering both BP and MG will play their college careers at 18-20 years old...

As for the recent pair - Gildon has had much higher expectations and produced at a much higher level. Pesce is the better defender.

The biggest difference between the careers of the two is that freshman Pesce was the sixth man on a defense that included TVR, Knodel, Hardowa, Agosta and Kostolansky (perhaps the deepest group of mobile D UNH ever had), while Gildon has had to be the man from day one...
              Yes, gilded company for Gildon in those two. Langway also played his two years at UNH at 18-20 years old.

Comment

Big test for the defense and goaltending this weekend - UMass dominated offensive zone possession against UNH last season scoring 18 goals across 4 games, including an Hockey East quarterfinal sweep to end the Wildcats season...

UMass’ dominance is most notable when reviewing the career numbers head to head with goalie Mike Robinson. Robinson is 0-4-0, with a 4.95 GAA and a .867 SPCT against the Minutemen. Against all other opponents he’s 13-12-9 with a 2.26 GAA and a .927 SPCT...

Obviously the stark difference in the numbers indicates a defensive failure on the shoulders of the entire team, but if UNH is going to win this Sunday they’ll need a big performance from their junior goaltender...

Additionally it will be the biggest test to date for the overall team defense (both in their own end and in transition), penalty killers, as well as the defensemen’s ability to retrieve/win pucks and move them quickly to even out time of possession.

On top of that they’ll have to generate offense of their own, as you’d have to believe it will take at least three goals to win even if they play well defensively...

The Minutemen haven’t missed a beat. They’re already averaging over 4.5 goals per game and allowing less than two per outing. They return both goalies and the bulk of their key players with two immediate impact freshmen playing great on the blue line in replacing their two biggest losses (Makar and Ferraro). Zac Jones has been especially dynamic...
                Last edited by Dan; 11-05-2019, 03:28 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Big test for the defense and goaltending this weekend - UMass dominated offensive zone possession against UNH last season scoring 18 goals across 4 games, including an Hockey East quarterfinal sweep to end the Wildcats season...

UMass’ dominance is most notable when reviewing the career numbers head to head with goalie Mike Robinson. Robinson is 0-4-0, with a 4.95 GAA and a .867 SPCT against the Minutemen. Against all other opponents he’s 13-12-9 with a 2.26 GAA and a .927 SPCT...

Obviously the stark difference in the numbers indicates a defensive failure on the shoulders of the entire team, but if UNH is going to win this Sunday they’ll need a big performance from their junior goaltender...

Additionally it will be the biggest test to date for the overall team defense (both in their own end and in transition), penalty killers, as well as the defensemen’s ability to retrieve/win pucks and move them quickly to even out time of possession.

On top of that they’ll have to generate offense of their own, as you’d have to believe it will take at least three goals to win even if they play well defensively...

The Minutemen haven’t missed a beat. They’re already averaging over 4.5 goals per game and allowing less than two per outing. They return both goalies and the bulk of their key players with two immediate impact freshmen playing great on the blue line in replacing their two biggest losses (Makar and Ferraro). Zac Jones has been especially dynamic...
                  The next five games, before they go to Ireland, is going to be a real test for sure. I have no idea what the results will be but I expect them to continue to be tenacious and resilient.
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Def.going to be a big challenge as you say they are returning a talented bunch led by John Leonard et al
                    We know this going in and am hoping the 'Cats hold their own. As long as they play them tough I'm happy.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

In other UNH athletics news, women’s hoop playing #2 Baylor right now. Down 23-0 after first quarter. Hope we are being compensated well.

Edit: Now 34-0
                      Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM.
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                        In other UNH athletics news, women’s hoop playing #2 Baylor right now. Down 23-0 after first quarter. Hope we are being compensated well.

Edit: Now 34-0
                        Ouch

Edit: OUCH

Has there ever been a shutout in basketball?
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Ouch

Edit: OUCH

Has there ever been a shutout in basketball?
                          Extrapolates to 92-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Extrapolates to 92-0.
                            51-3 at halftime. Despite a second quarter offensive explosion the lead has only grown...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

51-3 at halftime. Despite a second quarter offensive explosion the lead has only grown...
                              LOL, men up 55-8 on Curry College early second half...

Should have swapped opponents. Women probably get a W and the UNH men probably within 15 at Baylor women...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

46-26 in second half, but more important, UNH held the team from Waco to under 100 points!

Comment

Working...
                                X