Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krog Pond View Post
    Grasso Pierson and Kelleher line is too small in my opinion. Yes we have had guys in this category before but never that small for an entire line. Saviano, Collins, Mickflicker always had guys like Martz, Aikens, Hemingway, Fornataro, Winnik out there with them. All night I was thinking please don’t break, please don’t get hurt, please don’t die every time they were getting into the physical action. Never know what those Canadians have up there sleeve. All those Guelph players have played real hockey, ECHL, AHL, OHL, QMJHL and have a chip on there shoulder as their former teammates are getting paid in the show. Crazy thing about Engras is he hasn’t seen game action in over a year and he looked that good. Give him a few games to get his legs back and he will be something special. Crookshank was the best player on the ice by far all game. That kid is skilled. Blackburn looked good but was non existent early on maybe needed to wake up from a Sunday afternoon nap just like the refs. Agree on the goaltender situation. Robinson looked good. Taylor looked a bit nervous and out of position at times. 1st goal against Taylor was on a tip, second goal Taylor went down too early. And gave up the upper portion of the net. More of a lack of game action type goal than anything too concerning. In other notes it looks like our friends from Orono will be in for a long season as Umaine had a rough weekend. 0 goals for 12 goals against all weekend.....
    I think that the Orono and Burlington season threads are much harsher on their coaches than our threads ever were with Umile a few years ago.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      ...Is Dawson an eighth year senior? 😉. Seems like he’s been around forever. ..
      Grasso as a Junior on the roster. What is he? On the Blutarsky plan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjIH1jdx2_A
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Who is headed to Miami next weekend? I just got a hall pass for Friday night so I am thinking of shooting up there for the night and returning Saturday morning...
        I'll be there both nights!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          I do have a question; what is the "womans hockey blue line club"? I noticed a flag up next to the HE teams in the rafters. I had the impression all the 'clubs' have gone by the wayside? Just curious.
          The UNH 'Cat Club is alive and well. The web site links to UNH Athletics and giving pages. https://www.unhcatclubfootball.com/

Did anyone else receive Marty's October 2 letter explaining the men's hockey donor benefits program?

Comment

I was trying to watch individual players in the game as it was going on, so I'll bring a few observations to the table. Players I will be leaving out would be what I consider "as advertised and observed" (See: Blackburn, Crookshank, Robinson, Wyse, Maass, etc.)

Grasso: For the first time since his injury I felt he looked comfortable and confident out there, we saw flashes of it last year but never in a consistent manner which is what I am hoping for going forward. I agree that the first line may need to see some adjustment regarding size and matchups but PG was finding his way to space and getting some good shots and looks out there. Perhaps fully recovered with a new leadership role will push him back into that early freshman form that we saw even with more focus on him from the opposition.

Engaras: Filip looked ready to step in and make some people notice him out there. Still some of the early adjustments will be needed to be truly game ready but easily our #2/#3 center depending on how the lines shake out. With the ever looming possibility of injuries to guys above him there may be chances for him to slide up the chart after he gets into the action in mid November. I look for him to use this season as preparation for a (hopefully) strong 2 season run in the UNH top 6.

Taylor: There was a small sample size ad he did not see a lot of shots in the game. I'm still trying to figure out if my interpretation of his body language in net is just his style or not but something just looks off. I guess maybe I was looking for him to have adjusted a bit after his struggles last year and I'm going to keep watching as time goes on. I hope to see him get a solid 8-10 starts this season and get more comfortable in the net than what we saw last year. I hope we get to see a split in net out in Miami to see both of our goaltenders in game action early.

Our newcomers looked good, nothing really stood out aside from the physicality mentioned and it will be good to see some get ice time and develop throughout the season. I don't see a lot of offensive juggernauts in this class but if they can put in 5-10 goals it will be a good depth group. Our defense this season will not be in need of the new guys being exceptional out of the gate either. The new guys will have the time to learn the speed and systems at this level and will (hopefully) be better for it in the long term. It is a good feeling as a fan to not have to rely on stellar freshman efforts to determine the outcome of the season.

I can see this team getting into 5th/6th in Hockey East this season. Top 4 would be great but I think that might be a stretch for this season. I think there is a good amount of optimism and I'm liking the recruiting classes going beyond this year as well.
            Last edited by deltabravo62; 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              The UNH 'Cat Club is alive and well. The web site links to UNH Athletics and giving pages. https://www.unhcatclubfootball.com/

Did anyone else receive Marty's October 2 letter explaining the men's hockey donor benefits program?
              Yes, I did...I wondered if my contribution to the 603 drive this summer went into that hahaha. I'd love to give more money to get more thingies but, going to Ireland and just about every other game on the planet will have to suffice. Maybe I'll throw another C note into the mix; gets me a one time blurb on the 'tron...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Yes, I did...I wondered if my contribution to the 603 drive this summer went into that hahaha. I'd love to give more money to get more thingies but, going to Ireland and just about every other game on the planet will have to suffice. Maybe I'll throw another C note into the mix; gets me a one time blurb on the 'tron...
                The giving fiscal year ends on June 30. It will be interesting to see if benefits for those who donated during the 603 Challenge apply to this hockey season. I suspect not, but don't know.

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                    I was trying to watch individual players in the game as it was going on, so I'll bring a few observations to the table. Players I will be leaving out would be what I consider "as advertised and observed" (See: Blackburn, Crookshank, Robinson, Wyse, Maass, etc.)

Grasso: For the first time since his injury I felt he looked comfortable and confident out there, we saw flashes of it last year but never in a consistent manner which is what I am hoping for going forward. I agree that the first line may need to see some adjustment regarding size and matchups but PG was finding his way to space and getting some good shots and looks out there. Perhaps fully recovered with a new leadership role will push him back into that early freshman form that we saw even with more focus on him from the opposition.

Engaras: Filip looked ready to step in and make some people notice him out there. Still some of the early adjustments will be needed to be truly game ready but easily our #2/#3 center depending on how the lines shake out. With the ever looming possibility of injuries to guys above him there may be chances for him to slide up the chart after he gets into the action in mid November. I look for him to use this season as preparation for a (hopefully) strong 2 season run in the UNH top 6.

Taylor: There was a small sample size ad he did not see a lot of shots in the game. I'm still trying to figure out if my interpretation of his body language in net is just his style or not but something just looks off. I guess maybe I was looking for him to have adjusted a bit after his struggles last year and I'm going to keep watching as time goes on. I hope to see him get a solid 8-10 starts this season and get more comfortable in the net than what we saw last year. I hope we get to see a split in net out in Miami to see both of our goaltenders in game action early.

Our newcomers looked good, nothing really stood out aside from the physicality mentioned and it will be good to see some get ice time and develop throughout the season. I don't see a lot of offensive juggernauts in this class but if they can put in 5-10 goals it will be a good depth group. Our defense this season will not be in need of the new guys being exceptional out of the gate either. The new guys will have the time to learn the speed and systems at this level and will (hopefully) be better for it in the long term. It is a good feeling as a fan to not have to rely on stellar freshman efforts to determine the outcome of the season.

I can see this team getting into 5th/6th in Hockey East this season. Top 4 would be great but I think that might be a stretch for this season. I think there is a good amount of optimism and I'm liking the recruiting classes going beyond this year as well.
                    "5th/6th"? If you want into "The Contest," you need to choose one or the other, DB. :-)

Comment

https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2019/...-wildcats.aspx

The key for UNH will he containing Miami’s top-line of Green, Bachman and Gilling, which combined for ALL the offense in the RedHawks, 7-4, loss to Bowling Green last weekend. It seems, Miami will have trouble depth scoring this year (once again) so UNH needs to put the onus on other players to score goals...

Right out of the gate a good opportunity for Robinson and the defense to showcase that they’re the strength of the team and a chance for the question marks on offense to be answered against a team that allowed a seven spot in the opener...

On the road, I’d guess split - but UNH has a real chance to take more. At least one win is an absolute must. Miami could be in for a long year...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2019/...-wildcats.aspx

The key for UNH will he containing Miami’s top-line of Green, Bachman and Gilling, which combined for ALL the offense in the RedHawks, 7-4, loss to Bowling Green last weekend. It seems, Miami will have trouble depth scoring this year (once again) so UNH needs to put the onus on other players to score goals...

Right out of the gate a good opportunity for Robinson and the defense to showcase that they’re the strength of the team and a chance for the question marks on offense to be answered against a team that allowed a seven spot in the opener...

On the road, I’d guess split - but UNH has a real chance to take more. At least one win is an absolute must. Miami could be in for a long year...
                        Early season games can be hard to peg. After watching UNH Sunday I would say there is reason to be optimistic. My question is Gildon playing this weekend?
                        Last edited by e.cat; 10-10-2019, 10:01 AM.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Not sure if this is the only way to watch the 'Cats v Miami this weekend but, here's the link. Cheaper to buy the monthly pass (then cancel unless you are into this team) . Anyone know any other avenues to watch the games? I'm going to be camping so I hope to watch the games later on if possible but I'll have my twitter accounts. That said, HR expects a FULL accounting the games please from those who do watch here!

https://www.nchc.tv/schedule/event/58

https://www.nchc.tv/subscriptions?re...e%2Fevent%2F58
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Not sure if this is the only way to watch the 'Cats v Miami this weekend but, here's the link. Cheaper to buy the monthly pass (then cancel unless you are into this team) . Anyone know any other avenues to watch the games? I'm going to be camping so I hope to watch the games later on if possible but I'll have my twitter accounts. That said, HR expects a FULL accounting the games please from those who do watch here!

https://www.nchc.tv/schedule/event/58

https://www.nchc.tv/subscriptions?re...e%2Fevent%2F58
                            Just checked into my hotel in Dan’s hamlet of Oxford, OH. Will certainly send live updates tomorrow night
                            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

UNH Hockey great Darren Haydar to be inducted into the AHL Hall of Fame...

https://files.constantcontact.com/0d...60f0e21e0c.pdf

ps...looking him up on hockeydb...wow...what a player...so bummed I missed out. Dang, the goals the guy scored every season!!!
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-10-2019, 03:24 PM.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                                Just checked into my hotel in Dan’s hamlet of Oxford, OH. Will certainly send live updates tomorrow night
                                Have a great time!!! Looking forward to hearing all about it. Let's Go 'Cats!!!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X