Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Thanks to you and Dan for the updates! Yes we did not lose tonight and 3 points is a great start. I'm sure there was alot the coaches and players learned. Psyched for Ko Sato...hope he gets a nod for some HE recognition!! Looking at the stats tonight we got killed at the dot 20-35 out shot but were 3 for 5 on the PP.

Excited to visit Bentley's barn this Friday!! Go 'Cats!! See you there Snively65??
    With Sato's speed and new found scoring touch and confidence he could be nice new arrow in the quiver.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      With Sato's speed and new found scoring touch and confidence he could be nice new arrow in the quiver.
      Video of Kohei Sato - 3 goals in first 2 games:
      https://youtu.be/eyCQ_Uczf-0
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Nah, we’re on to a new and more inane topic. Face-offs. I’m just waiting for the reductio ad absurdum contrarian argument of “we should look to lose face-offs, because they don’t matter”.

I know that ‘Watcher gets that nobody on this thread was suggesting correlation. I personally was expressing a distaste losing face-offs and possession, especially in our offensive zone. Perhaps I’m insane, and it should be our new killer strategy? 😁

Okay, I’m done with that topic. Any Bentley insights?
        I'll never forget watching a game on channel 11 and hearing Bob Norton say something like "sooner or later those end zone face-offs will come back to bite you."

I say we keep the topic going!

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
          Video of Kohei Sato - 3 goals in first 2 games:
          https://youtu.be/eyCQ_Uczf-0
          Thanks Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            I'll never forget watching a game on channel 11 and hearing Bob Norton say something like "sooner or later those end zone face-offs will come back to bite you."

I say we keep the topic going!
            Dismiss it all anyone wants but I will venture to say it's a very weak part of the 'Cats game...and I'm stickin' to it! Lose 15 29 of those a game and you just lost 15 20 possessions...has to amount for something...
            Now would I recruit a kid based on this skill heck no but geeze game in and game out...
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-14-2019, 12:32 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              Nah, we’re on to a new and more inane topic. Face-offs. I’m just waiting for the reductio ad absurdum contrarian argument of “we should look to lose face-offs, because they don’t matter”.

I know that ‘Watcher gets that nobody on this thread was suggesting correlation. I personally was expressing a distaste losing face-offs and possession, especially in our offensive zone. Perhaps I’m insane, and it should be our new killer strategy? 😁

Okay, I’m done with that topic. Any Bentley insights?
              Bentley had a horrible weekend at RMU, losing 3-0 and 4-1, despite the Falcons outshooting the Colonials a combined 81-38. There you go if you need data next time you enter the SOG fray, Chuck. I did not track FO's, Meanwhile, the Falcons were especially terrible on special teams, coming up 0-13 on the PP, and giving up 4 PPG on 10 PKs, although they did kill off a 5-minute major/10-minute game misconduct. If any team should be looking to right the ship this Friday night, it should be the Falcons. During the second half of last season, the Falcons led the country in consecutive games without a loss, but they lost some significant scoring up front and on the blue line to graduation.
              Last edited by Snively65; 10-14-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Nice to see Max Gildon (5 point weekend!) earn HE co defensive player of the week and Charlie K getting honorable mention (5 point weekend!) ...surprised Ko Sato (3 point weekend!) didn't earn any mentions. Regardless...great job this weekend guys!!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-15-2019, 05:18 AM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Nice to see Max Gildon (5 point weekend!) earn HE co defensive player of the week and Charlie K getting honorable mention (5 point weekend!) ...surprised Ko Sato (4 point weekend!) didn't earn any mentions. Regardless...great job this weekend guys!!
                  Good God and Gravy!!! I honestly thought my hearing aid was on the fritz when I heard KoHey putting the dang biscuit in the back of the net...not once, not twice, but three times??? And all you dang carpetbaggers are still insisting upon Swedes and Finns???

Though it figgers that those BC pretty-boys got the Hockey East laurels this week Don' git me started!! Those dang nancy-boys....KOHEY GOT ROBBED!!

GIT OFF MY LAWN, YOU DANG HOODLUMS!!!
                  I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
                  AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    More surprising non-occurrence this past weekend:

(1) Ty Taylor not getting a start in the second game; or
                    (2) Justin Fregona not dressing in either of the games?

Should we expect either/both of these guys to see action against Bentley next weekend?
                    If I had to pick, it’d be #1, but frankly, neither is a huge surprise....

Fregona has gone 31gp/4pts, 16gp/2pts, 11gp/4pts in his first three years. Meanwhile, the influx of freshman like Stevenson, Griffin, Herrmann, and the play of Crookshank, Pierson and Esposito start to crowd out the upperclassmen.

On Taylor, I think it’s more Robinson being essentially the single horse to ride á la a Tirone (Clark) or Conklin (Carney). The backup just didn’t see much time at all.

EDIT: to be clear, I’m not comparing the relative abilities of Tirone, Conklin and Robinson. I’m reflecting on the daylight between their backups and them, and how that made sticking with a primary an easier decision.
                    Last edited by wildcatdc; 10-14-2019, 08:39 PM.
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Nice to see Max Gildon (5 point weekend!) earn HE co defensive player of the week and Charlie K getting honorable mention (5 point weekend!) ...surprised Ko Sato (4 point weekend!) didn't earn any mentions. Regardless...great job this weekend guys!!
                      Sato’s second goal deserved to be mentioned as “sequence of the weekend”. Block, followed by a block, followed by hustling to scoop up a mishandled puck, then recovering along the boards to finally poke it home - pretty sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post
                        Good God and Gravy!!! I honestly thought my hearing aid was on the fritz when I heard KoHey putting the dang biscuit in the back of the net...not once, not twice, but three times??? And all you dang carpetbaggers are still insisting upon Swedes and Finns???

Though it figgers that those BC pretty-boys got the Hockey East laurels this week Don' git me started!! Those dang nancy-boys....KOHEY GOT ROBBED!!

GIT OFF MY LAWN, YOU DANG HOODLUMS!!!
                        Hey, grouchy, at the Dartmouth game in Hanover last year, I thought that Sato was our best blueliner on the ice. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          Sato’s second goal deserved to be mentioned as “sequence of the weekend”. Block, followed by a block, followed by hustling to scoop up a mishandled puck, then recovering along the boards to finally poke it home - pretty sweet.
                          Catching up this evening, and was just going to pretty much say the same thing. Good call, 'dc.

Tireless effort, selfless defending, then getting his just reward for it all in the end. Great stuff!!

On the 3rd goal, don't know who the Miami defender was, but it looked like he was "traffic coned" by Sato, who just blew past him on his way to a pretty slick finish. Looking like he's going to be the "breakout" player this season, although it's early yet, but if he keeps this up (or even close), he's looking like quite the find. Kudos to MS7 and his staff for unearthing a "diamond in the rough". Grant Standbrook would be proud.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Catching up this evening, and was just going to pretty much say the same thing. Good call, 'dc.

Tireless effort, selfless defending, then getting his just reward for it all in the end. Great stuff!!

On the 3rd goal, don't know who the Miami defender was, but it looked like he was "traffic coned" by Sato, who just blew past him on his way to a pretty slick finish. Looking like he's going to be the "breakout" player this season, although it's early yet, but if he keeps this up (or even close), he's looking like quite the find. Kudos to MS7 and his staff for unearthing a "diamond in the rough". Grant Standbrook would be proud.
                            Remains to be seen how he fares the rest of the season but, the kid can skate! He had a good off season participating in team Japan at the Worlds. Dad an accomplished speed skater. Corrected my 4 goal comment... He's a versatile player had forgotten he played on the blue line last season!
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-15-2019, 05:19 AM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

6 HEA teams in the top 20 this week. I realize a 2nd week poll is meaningless, but if it holds, it looks like we will have a real opportunity to test ourselves and make a statement this year. Hope we make some noise.

Comment

Fun article about Kohei Sato if you haven't already seen it:

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/10...xVhG6CoSAKJ8Tc
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X