UWSP 2019-20 Season Thread: Defending the title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWSP 2019-20 Season Thread: Defending the title

The Pointers add two D1 transfers - Ryan Orgel (DU defensemen) & Chase Ellingson (UAF forward) but lose Conner Ryckman to Northern Michigan. This year's backend looks extremely solid. Forwards look good. The big question mark is goalie. Eli Billings will probably get the nod. Played 5 games last year.
    Last edited by Bar Down; 09-24-2019, 10:11 AM.

Re: UWSP 2019-20 Season Thread: Defending the title

Eli looked solid in the few games he played last year. If he stays healthy I'm not too worried.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasi Hatrack View Post
      Eli looked solid in the few games he played last year. If he stays healthy I'm not too worried.
      We'll find out soon enough as he'll face St Norbert twice opening weekend (11/1- 11/2)

Comment

Two great games over the weekend with St. Norbert. Both were fun to watch with fast pace. In the 1st game, each team had significant offense zone time with UWSP drawing first blood. Established a 2-0 lead but defensive breakdowns lead to a 2-2 tie going into OT. St Norbert wins in OT with a wrap around. Hats off to them for ending UWSP's 31 game unbeaten streak. In the 2nd game, more of the same back and forth but 1/2 way through the 2nd period UWSP established their will and dominated pretty much for the rest of the game. UWSP breaks the Green Nights' 43 home win streak with a 3-1 victory. BTW... UWSP's goalie Eli Billings answered the call with great play. Looks solid for the year.

That said, first impression.... both team will battle it out for who represents the West in Buffalo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
          UWSP breaks the Green Nights' 43 home unbeaten streak with a 3-1 victory.
          IIRC their last home loss was one week after Obama left office, that's how long it's been.
          5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Ugly is the best way to describe last weekend's play. It was an ugly win against Gustavus and an ugly lose against St Thomas. Very sloppy play in all three zones. Way too many unforced errors. To add insult to injury, one of the worst officiated weekend I've ever seen. I think on Saturday's game, there was 10 penalty each per team. Also, when's the last time you saw a goalie get a 5 minute major?

That said, UWSP is fighting the injury bug to some extent so it has to be the "next man up" mentality.

Going on the road this upcoming weekend. Let's hope the boys can turn a lost into something positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
              Also, when's the last time you saw a goalie get a 5 minute major?
              What's the story behind that penalty?
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                What's the story behind that penalty?
                The goalie nailed a player (I believe) in the head with his blocker as there was a scrum in front of his net. As you know, there's always extra curricular activities going down whenever you have multiple bodies pushing and shoving in the paint. Lesson for the goalie... just don't let the ref see ya otherwise you'll end up with a 5 minute major and kicked out of the game.

Comment

Two solid road wins. Offense is starting to click. Defense was solid despite starting two freshman due to the injury bug. Good weekend to build from. This coming weekend starts WIAC play.

Comment

Not the best weekend for the Pointers. While it was nice to rally back for a tie on Friday, the lose on Saturday is not very good. From watching the team, I think they miss Beauvais of all the players that are gone. He logged so many minutes each game and was able to shutdown the other teams best players. They do not have anyone at that level right now on defense. They miss Ryckman, but Billing has been fine as his replacement. The structure around him just isn't as good.

That being said, I think they will be fine.
                    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Just wondering, were you at the games? It was pretty brutal to watch in person. So many missed passes and people not in position to put away rebounds. The four men deep power play isn't working out well. I lost count of how many times Superior was able to ice the puck up the boards because the lone D was standing at the center of the blue line. Nobody, Eli included, seemed able to handle the cross-ice passes and the other team knew it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasi Hatrack View Post
                        Just wondering, were you at the games? It was pretty brutal to watch in person. So many missed passes and people not in position to put away rebounds. The four men deep power play isn't working out well. I lost count of how many times Superior was able to ice the puck up the boards because the lone D was standing at the center of the blue line. Nobody, Eli included, seemed able to handle the cross-ice passes and the other team knew it.
                        I was not there but completely agree with your assessment. UWSP needs to turn it around quickly or it's sayounara for the year

Comment

Working...
                        X