Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    This is not a complaint per se just an observation, and I don't know if a similar passing would garner even a short write-up at USCHO, but I didn't see anything front-page here about the passing of Wooger.
    Tomorrow is his funeral.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      https://www.uscho.com/2019/12/14/to-...og-dies-at-75/

Edit: Depending on what day it is, stories that show up here on USCHO can quickly move down to a point out of sight just due to things like a new poll, link to a podcast, etc...
      Thank you.

444 - thanks?

Comment

https://theathletic.com/1474489/2019...ring-the-life/

Very nice free article groom Vegoe on The Wooger.

Comment

Rumor has it the AD department is happy with the direction of Gopher football their next project is Gopher hockey.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

That was a pretty $hitty game of hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              That was a pretty $hitty game of hockey
              Forgot to turn back to the game after the second and with until about six minutes left in the third. Clearly didn’t miss much during that time lol.

I agree, Bemidji is a decent defensive team but fifteen shots to that point is atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Rumor has it the AD department is happy with the direction of Gopher football their next project is Gopher hockey.
                What does this entail?
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Maybe a franchise trade with Duluth. Roster and all committed players.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    Maybe a franchise trade with Duluth. Roster and all committed players.
                    Hopefully it includes a few select fans.

Comment

They still have a significant uphill climb to get anywhere near a PWR selection (and I would say it's unlikely) but all they can do is win as many games as possible and least this weekend was a start.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        I liked the "Doug and the Rug" show; Woog tried to be less biased than Frank when they played WI on TV, but after all, it is a MN-based network.

RIP Doug.
                        I actually thought that both those guys were objective. It was fun listen, even for an anti-Gopher.

He'll be missed. (Is Frank still working? I don't get that Fox channel any more.)
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-29-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          I actually thought that both those guys were objective. It was fun listen, even for an anti-Gopher.

He'll be missed. (Is Frank still working? I don't get that Fox channel any more.)
                          Not on tv, but he still can be heard providing color for Gopher games on the radio.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Not on tv, but he still can be heard providing color for Gopher games on the radio.
                            Frank and Wally Shaver. They are entertaining, more homerish for sure, but fun to listen to.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              I've taken econometrics and multivariate stat courses, these concepts are not foreign to me and your condescending schtick isn't fooling anyone other than yourself.
                              A bit aggressive trix. I'd tried softening my views by stating in my earlier post this was not intended to be personal or condescending. With regard to your statement, it spurred my curiosity because it doesn't seem to match what you stated earlier this year:

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              Makes sense, I didn't have as much exposure to multivariate regression in school but I can see how that'd be useful. And you're right I was gonna say something about controlling for SOS because of teams like ASU this season.
                              As a university professor with a PhD, I teach basic, multivariate and advanced statistics and research methods among other subjects. I've taught over 25 courses and it's impossible to not have studied the various forms of regression analysis if you've taken a multivariate stat course, which is by far the most widely used statistical tool in virtually every professional domain of science, sports, manufacturing and business.

I do stand by my statement that you have misunderstood the study I posted. However, I don't have any interest in pursuing this any further, especially discussing more in-depth stat matters here on USCHO.

Comment

The problem is we don't even know how that site is assigning its star ratings, one of the main bases for how the algorithm is rating the recruiting classes and the "study's" conclusion that the Gophers have had elite recruiting classes the last few years. They don't give a ton of info on how they assign that nor any real transparency as to the variables in the algorithm or the weights etc. This isn't terribly shocking for a pay site that wants to sell the idea that they have some comprehensive rating system (yet don't want people actually digging into the nuts and bolts) but there's no real reason to just assume these ratings (and thus the outputs of the algorithm) are accurate especially when we can see with our own eyes that they probably aren't. You seem to be just taking the outputs of the alorithm as gospel and coming to the conclusion that Motzko isn't coaching the team up because of the results of this "study" despite the fact that it clearly flies in the face of reality and we don't really even have that much info on the methodology. I'd also argue that the article even admits that it's overrating 18 year old NTDP players based on potential rather than current output, which isn't terribly useful when trying to evaluate the current talent level of the team. I think we can reasonably say that Ben Meyers is currently a better player than Reedy or McManus and yet that algorithm would probably come to the opposite conclusion (can't say for sure without paying).

I'd also point out that Casey Mittlestadt is no longer part of the team and he was partly the reason one of those classes was highly rated.
                                Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-30-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X