Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    I don't know about the club team issue, but Jess is referring to a rivalry. Are you saying it wasn't a rivalry? UND's nickname was originally The Flickertails , but was unofficially changed to "The Sioux" in 1930 as a D1 Independent team.

No coach? According to College Hockey News the coach was Joe Brown.

Try to keep up.
    Joe Brown was a player...not a coach.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Not between the hockey programs.

The football teams played well before the 30s...so to the extent Myers was going for the rivalry between the schools, he shortchanged it a couple decades. Either way, Myers was wrong.
      So you're saying it wasn't a rivalry?

Joe Brown was a player...not a coach.
      So College Hockey News is wrong too?? Can you produce any resource data to refute it or are we just supposed to accept your opinionated persona?
      Last edited by SteveO; 11-29-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

So you're saying it wasn't a rivalry?
        Not between the hockey programs. In order to have a rivalry between programs, there actually has to be two programs. North Dakota did not start its hockey program until 1946. Try to keep up.
        North Dakota

Comment

Not between the hockey programs. In order to have a rivalry between programs, there actually has to be two programs. North Dakota did not start its hockey program until 1946. Try to keep up.
          What's your definition of a rivalry?

Comment

So College Hockey News is wrong too?? Can you produce any resource data to refute it or are we just supposed to accept your opinionated persona?
            Sure, go to special collections in the third floor of the Chester Fritz Library and ask to see the records from North Dakota's club hockey team from pre-WWII. Its pretty interesting material. CHN shows they played 2 games in 1929-1930...do you really believe they put a team together, had a coach, and went through all that is required to only play 2 games? Sounds like an accurate source to me.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 11-29-2019, 08:38 AM.
            North Dakota

Comment

What's your definition of a rivalry?
              Not what was on the ice last night.
              North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Yikes. Not sure what's the bigger trainwreck - that game by the Gophers or omahawhioux's latest posts.

Hope the Gophers give a better effort tomorrow.
                I expect a 3-2 type of game tonight. I’d be shocked if it was another blowout
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Sure, go to special collections in the third floor and ask to see the records from North Dakota's club hockey team from pre-WWII. Its pretty interesting material. CHN shows they played 2 games in 1929-1930...do you really believe they put a team together, had a coach, and went through all that is required to only play 2 games? Sounds like an accurate source to me.
                  So you can't produce any resource yourself that substantiates your claims? Is that correct?

CHN tends to be fairly reliable on statistics. Nevertheless, Jess spoke of a rivalry, that is the point of contention here so let's stay on point shall we?

It's reasonable to assume that since North Dakota is in close proximity to Minnesota and both teams began competing for superiority on the ice, there is the potential for the inception of a rivalry mentality among the players. Regardless of the variance in criteria that is his point whether you agree or not.

According the CHN, the 1932-33 team apparently did not have a coach. Were you aware of that? Perhaps you had a brain cramp and confused the dates.

Comment

Not what was on the ice last night.
                    That's a cop out answer. And you claim to be a researcher.

EDIT: I've got exams and papers to grade, so we'll have to continue our discussion later. Enjoyed the exchange my friend.
                    Last edited by SteveO; 11-29-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

So you can't produce any resource yourself that substantiates your claims? Is that correct?

CHN tends to be fairly reliable on statistics. Nevertheless, Jess spoke of a rivalry, that is the point of contention here so let's stay on point shall we?

It's reasonable to assume that since North Dakota is in close proximity to Minnesota and both teams began competing for superiority on the ice, there is the potential for the inception of a rivalry mentality among the players. Regardless of the variance in criteria that is his point whether you agree or not.

According the CHN, the 1932-33 team apparently did not have a coach. Were you aware of that? Perhaps you had a brain cramp and confused the dates.
                      I told you where you could find the records. If you really believe that the club team only played two games in 1929-1930) and only one game in 1930-1931...then I have some beautiful oceanview property in Minnesota to sell you.

Again, if you are talking about a rivalry between UND and Minnesota...well, that started long before 1930. If you are talking about a rivalry between the schools' hockey programs, UND did not start its hockey program until 1946. And despite what the Gophers tried to show last night, you can't have a rivalry between the hockey programs until they both actually exist. So, I repeat, under either scenario, Myers was wrong.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Sure, go to special collections in the third floor of the Chester Fritz Library and ask to see the records from North Dakota's club hockey team from pre-WWII. Its pretty interesting material. CHN shows they played 2 games in 1929-1930...do you really believe they put a team together, had a coach, and went through all that is required to only play 2 games? Sounds like an accurate source to me.
                        This kind of thing happened frequently back then. Not sure why you'd dispute it.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                          This kind of thing happened frequently back then. Not sure why you'd dispute it.
                          Because the club team played more than two games. Indeed, they typically played 8-12 games/year up from the early 1920s until the 1960s. Of course, none of this really matters, as basically every program (other than Minnesota selectively counting only certain games) does not count their club team's records as part of their program's history.
                          North Dakota

Comment

No matter how derogatory Cowgirl chooses to be against our UND fan base over on GPL, there is no excuse for the dog comment. Very tasteless. I know there are some that still want this to be the biggest rivalry in college hockey but it just is different now... I’ll never support the gophers but I just can’t muster the hate like I used to be able to do. I feel bad that the move to big10 has changed the gopher program so much... It really is a water-downed version of what it once was, both on the ice and certainly in the stands. I truly believe that had the big10 not formed both minny and wisco’s program would be in substantially better shape. As much as an occasional blow-out is fun, I’d love to see a close game tonight.

Comment

Yeah I don’t think Lucia sticking around far too long and getting really lazy about recruiting is the fault of the conference. Same goes for WI with Eaves.

Comment

Big Ten killed Pride on Ice. If they were still in the WCHA playing like they did Lucia would have been canned sooner because Big Ten titles in a weak conference would have been middle of the pack and the later years would be been bottom third of the conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X