This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Why would the NE10 DII schools be looking to play up to DI?? They aren't even competitive in a DIII league.
    How dare you let the facts get in the way of wild speculation in a conference realignment thread.

No Margarita! for that guy.

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Happy to be of assistance, all. Even if you're flying into BNA or BHM, you're still losing four hours getting your bags into a charter bus and onto I-65/565 to get here. I swear, sometimes I think that the only nice part of a team traveling to UAH is that there's a hotel attached to the arena. Unfortunately, it's an Embassy Suites, and I don't see many nWCHA/SS teams staying there.

Numbers, I do agree that travel is a big part of it for everyone. If you listen to BG, it's the truth. Why would they (allegedly, and I believe them) reject an NCHC invitation? If you're BG and in a position of strength, the SS is about the perfect league for you knowing that you're never going to crack the B1G, whether to join them or get your CCHA buddies back.

There are a lot of ways that this could go. Consider that, even though leaving the NCHC is hella expensive and all that, you could get WMU and MU (where Bergeron just landed) to join for a league that's smaller. Stop that swap garbage, though — that's just not happening between an established league and seven independents banded together by treachery and mutually assured destruction.

And maybe the SS give UAH a pity offer, but if your concern was "we want them to give more money to their program, build that rink that oh by the way wasn't fully green-lit by the UA Board of Trustees, and maybe figure out how to move 250 miles north (as if half of us wouldn't do that in a second)", you have done the Chargers a great disservice. That's why I don't think that UAH as a backup 8th member makes a lick of sense.

I did semi-joke about the SS keeping it at 7, but they definitely want an eighth team. If you want to stay at 28 league games — and I think that you do — you need that seventh opponent.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Define short. BSU <-> BGSU is a long bus ride.
        Can’t speak for Bemidji, but BG chartered a flight for that trip last year.
        Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
          Can’t speak for Bemidji, but BG chartered a flight for that trip last year.
          Last year, BSU played at Air Force and then flew to Detroit, I believe, and then bussed down to BG. They then bussed home after.

In 2016-17, BSU played at Anchorage and then flew into Chicago and bussed over to BG. They then bussed home after.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

All depends on the cost savings. Bowling Pins and their ~20-25,000 tuition-paying students make D1 money that the rest of us pee-ons don't. To be fair, their athletic department also spends a lot more money to remain fully D1 than the rest of us.

BG can probably afford to fly to MSP and bus to Mankato and Bemidji. I doubt Tech busses to MQT, flies to DTW, and busses to Bowling Green. They take the bus unless the bridge is closed due to weather.
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-02-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Also, as it stands, the tag along six need BGSU in their conference if the new new WCHA is to continue to have a voice at the big boy meetings. Without a full D1 school in the conference, we're all just tag-alongs for whatever the NCHC, B1G, AHA, and HE want with no input.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
                I believe if either school loses hockey, they’d need to replace that sport with another to meet minimum NCAA standards yes?

Whose ready for some GNAC Soccer in Anchorage? ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
                NCAA minimum is 10. UAF would need to add something back to meet the NCAA minimum. UAA could end hockey and still be above the minimum (I think they’re at 13 now).

If the seemingly unthinkable happens, I could see a scenario where one or both of us join the PAC-8 hockey league, which is not just limited to PAC-12 schools (Boise State, San Diego State, and both Washington directional compass schools are in it).
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  All depends on the cost savings. Bowling Pins and their ~20-25,000 tuition-paying students make D1 money that the rest of us pee-ons don't. To be fair, their athletic department also spends a lot more money to remain fully D1 than the rest of us.

BG can probably afford to fly to MSP and bus to Mankato and Bemidji. I doubt Tech busses to MQT, flies to DTW, and busses to Bowling Green. They take the bus unless the bridge is closed due to weather.
                  Correct. The boys usually fly first class. Well, except for the freshmen. And they get middle seats.

And the urinals in the Slater Family Ice Arena are gold plated. And we only use Evian to make our ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Happy to be of assistance, all. Even if you're flying into BNA or BHM, you're still losing four hours getting your bags into a charter bus and onto I-65/565 to get here. I swear, sometimes I think that the only nice part of a team traveling to UAH is that there's a hotel attached to the arena. Unfortunately, it's an Embassy Suites, and I don't see many nWCHA/SS teams staying there.

Numbers, I do agree that travel is a big part of it for everyone. If you listen to BG, it's the truth. Why would they (allegedly, and I believe them) reject an NCHC invitation? If you're BG and in a position of strength, the SS is about the perfect league for you knowing that you're never going to crack the B1G, whether to join them or get your CCHA buddies back.

There are a lot of ways that this could go. Consider that, even though leaving the NCHC is hella expensive and all that, you could get WMU and MU (where Bergeron just landed) to join for a league that's smaller. Stop that swap garbage, though — that's just not happening between an established league and seven independents banded together by treachery and mutually assured destruction.

And maybe the SS give UAH a pity offer, but if your concern was "we want them to give more money to their program, build that rink that oh by the way wasn't fully green-lit by the UA Board of Trustees, and maybe figure out how to move 250 miles north (as if half of us wouldn't do that in a second)", you have done the Chargers a great disservice. That's why I don't think that UAH as a backup 8th member makes a lick of sense.

I did semi-joke about the SS keeping it at 7, but they definitely want an eighth team. If you want to stay at 28 league games — and I think that you do — you need that seventh opponent.

GFM
                    I believe they want to go to 24 conference games. Only the AHA & WCHA currently play more than 24.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                      Correct. The boys usually fly first class. Well, except for the freshmen. And they get middle seats.

And the urinals in the Slater Family Ice Arena are gold plated. And we only use Evian to make our ice.
                      OK, I laughed.

Comment

I'm unclear on why these seven schools are more morally wrong than the NCHC schools that foisted both Alaskas on the remaining western schools in the first place, particularly when those schools were the ones that could best afford the ancillary costs of those trips that aren't subsidized by Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Subsidy or not, there are serious detriments to making the Alaska trip(s). Are the NCHC schools getting a pass because they weaseled out of them first, or are they getting a pass because they crapped all over the current WCHA teams as well?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          I'm unclear on why these seven schools are more morally wrong than the NCHC schools that foisted both Alaskas on the remaining western schools in the first place, particularly when those schools were the ones that could best afford the ancillary costs of those trips that aren't subsidized by Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Subsidy or not, there are serious detriments to making the Alaska trip(s). Are the NCHC schools getting a pass because they weaseled out of them first, or are they getting a pass because they crapped all over the current WCHA teams as well?
                          Morals do not exist in the board rooms of these schools. get that silly thought out of your head. Nor do they exist anywhere else in college hockey.
                          I find this whole things just disgusting to be honest. And i'd bet dollars to donuts that our buddies in Mankato are still going to try to get into the NCHC regardless of all this.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

You must not visit a lot because the NCHC has received plenty of flak over the years and still does by a few dedicated Tech fans. It’s the Shady Seven’s turn in the spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post

The music was still playing when the NCHC made their move. The SS killed the DJ and lit two chairs on fire.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                                You must not visit a lot because the NCHC has received plenty of flak over the years and still does by a few dedicated Tech fans. It’s the Shady Seven’s turn in the spotlight.
                                They aren't Tech fans, they are big school haters.

*pours on the gas*

*steps back and lights the match*

Comment

Working...
                                X