This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The CCHA was left with BGSU, LSSU, Ferris, and Fairbanks. With Notre Dame and WMU “exploring” their options. The “new” WCHA was to have UAA, Bemidji, Minnesota St, St Cloud, Tech and NMU. Notre Dame joined Hockey East after they couldn’t reach an agreement with the NCHC. Then Western and St Cloud jumped to the NCHC. That left 5 teams in the WCHA, four in the CCHA and Huntsville as an independent. The “leftovers” had little choice but to merge.
    You're forgetting Robert Morris, Niagra, Canisius, and RIT. That deal just ran out of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      They are going to pay the buyout of one year league expenses?
      At last check that was 1.5 million.
      Deals can be made.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
        ...Those Alaska schools have been struggling for quite sometime now. I don’t see them being part of college hockey in a couple years which would coincide with the new league.
        I feel so bad for the two Alaska fan bases, both of which are passionate about hockey in general and their teams in particular. But geographical, logistical, and fiscal realities are conspiring to make D1 college hockey in Alaska untenable. There might be some hope if some sort of west coast conference could be formed around Washington and Washington State, with some of the British Columbia colleges also allowed to join as adjunct members. But realistically, pigs will fly before any of that happens.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Never going to happen. Air Force and Army are a bonded pair.
        It not that these two Service academies are somehow welded together. They'd both be fine playing in separate leagues (as they do in other sports) so long as they had the flexibility to schedule each other in out-of-conference games. The primary reason they're both in Atlantic Hockey is comfort level with the conference's overall values and approach. Neither has designs on a national championship so they're both content to play at the Atlantic Hockey competitive level with occasional marquee matchups against national "brands".
        Last edited by Split-N; 06-30-2019, 10:25 AM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Deals can be made.
          Doubt the NCHC changes its own bylaws.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            I feel so bad for the two Alaska fan bases, both of which are passionate about hockey in general and their teams in particular. But geographical, logistical, and fiscal realities are conspiring to make D1 college hockey in Alaska untenable. There might be some hope if some sort of west coast conference could be formed around Washington and Washington State, with some of the British Columbia colleges also allowed to join as adjunct members. But realistically, pigs will fly before any of that happens.

It not that these two Service academies are somehow welded together. They'd both be fine playing in separate leagues (as they do in other sports) so long as they had the flexibility to schedule each other in out-of-conference games. The primary reason they're both in Atlantic Hockey is comfort level with the conference's overall values and approach. Neither has designs on a national championship so they're both content to play at the Atlantic Hockey competitive level with occasional marquee matchups against national "brands".
            Air Force left their former conference in hockey years ago to specifically be in the same conference as Army. Then Wayne State folded, and this whole mess of realignment began.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              My prediction is this. WMU and Miami will hook up with the departing WCHA 7, and BSU and Mankato joins the NCHC. Then the new CCHA can pick up ASU or maybe get RMU to move.
              Why would Western and Miami leave the NCHC for travel reasons and go to a league that adds Arizona State?
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by BSUBeavs View Post
                I understand that but it’s fairly apparent that they will go D2.
                Is that the vibe in Minnesota? As a D3 hockey fan on the outside it seems that the WIAC would be a good fit for them. WIAC hockey needs one more member to gain AQ status and their football league is arguably the best in NCAA D3. Football and hockey are likely the two signature programs at St Thomas, and the WIAC has publicly stated that it is open to non-Wisconsin state schools as full-time members.

The WIAC has also added Northland as a hockey member for ‘19-‘20.

Comment

They are going to pay the buyout of one year league expenses?
                  At last check that was 1.5 million.
                  If Mankato or ASU had the chance to join the NCHC if they bought out Miami and WMU’s obligations, do you think they wouldn’t? Just not sure if the travel benefits would outweigh the level of competition. WMU I have felt like for years has been one tournament appearance away from hurting some feelings in the NCAAs

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  And then Minnesota and wisconsin ditch the POS conference that ruined college hockey and join this new NCHC. And they call it the WCHA2. And it's the best conference that ever existed.
                  I know you know **** well that’s not going to happen. As much as I rag on them, I do believe Minnesota’s hands were mostly tied. I don’t think Wisconsin is having a bad time in the new league, and I’m sure likely having to switch to a conference like Big 12 would have negatives outweighing any gains from rejoining NCHC
                  Last edited by UMD21; 06-30-2019, 11:15 AM.
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

New statement from Bowling Green today:

"We have decided playing other teams is too difficult. It is too far to travel and the time difference fatigues our players. From now on we'll play 34 intramural scrimmages."

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                      If Mankato or ASU had the chance to join the NCHC if they bought out Miami and WMU’s obligations, do you think they wouldn’t? Just not sure if the travel benefits would outweigh the level of competition. WMU I have felt like for years has been one tournament appearance away from hurting some feelings in the NCAAs

I know you know **** well that’s not going to happen. As much as I rag on them, I do believe Minnesota’s hands were mostly tied. I don’t think Wisconsin is having a bad time in the new league, and I’m sure likely having to switch to a conference like Big 12 would have negatives outweighing any gains from rejoining NCHC
                      ASU may have the money for that. I highly doubt Kato does.
                      I also don't think the league would change the bylaws. The team leaving has to pay and give 2 years notice or the buyout goes up.
                      The NCHC may expand...but Miami and Western are stuck.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

I also don't think the league would change the bylaws. The team leaving has to pay and give 2 years notice or the buyout goes up.
                        UMD (or should I say University of Minnesota system) is paying an ex-womens hockey coach over 3 million dollars and can still pay Sandy $400k/year, I’m sure Kato could swing it if’s what they had to do. The additional revenue having UND, UMD and SCSU coming to their arena would definitely pay off. I bet liquor sales in and around the arena when the whioux come to town would pay for itself in a weekend
                        Last edited by UMD21; 06-30-2019, 12:11 PM.
                        I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                          UMD (or should I say University of Minnesota system) is paying an ex-womens hockey coach over 3 million dollars and can still pay Sandy $400k/year, I’m sure Kato could swing it if’s what they had to do. The additional revenue having UND, UMD and SCSU coming to their arena would definitely pay off. I bet liquor sales in and around the arena when the whioux come to town would pay for itself in a weekend
                          And your reason why UMD can is right there...U of M system.
                          MnSCU schools are not flush with cash.
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

And your reason why UMD can is right there...U of M system.
                            MnSCU schools are not flush with cash.
                            Understood. Still think it would be a good investment if they could. But I digress, don’t mean to clog this thread with hypotheticals.

But the way ASU gooned it up against Minnesota could earn them favor in the league. Imagine the goonery potential in a UND-ASU rivalry... lots of UND fans would definitely travel to AZ in the winter too
                            Last edited by UMD21; 06-30-2019, 12:42 PM.
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
                              Is that the vibe in Minnesota? As a D3 hockey fan on the outside it seems that the WIAC would be a good fit for them. WIAC hockey needs one more member to gain AQ status and their football league is arguably the best in NCAA D3. Football and hockey are likely the two signature programs at St Thomas, and the WIAC has publicly stated that it is open to non-Wisconsin state schools as full-time members.

The WIAC has also added Northland as a hockey member for ‘19-‘20.
                              Yeah. Highly doubt they go WIAC. I know a couple of people within St. Thomas and the feeling is they go D2. I highly doubt they would want to deal with the travel of going to Wisconsin consistently especially since there is a spot opening in the NSIC with a bunch of the other Minnesota schools since Augustana is going D1

Comment

Am I missing something? Why do we have several posters here acting like WMU is itching to get out of the NCHC?

Can't speak for Miami but I don't get that feeling from them either..

Comment

Working...
                                X