Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough D1 schools to take all D1 rated prospects

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...ege-teams.html

Not enough D1 schools to take all D1 prospects? I am not sure I agree that ACHA schools can compete with top 1/3 of D3 schools. Article sort of explains why the quality of D3 hockey has improved so much over the last few years.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Originally posted by hawk View Post

Not enough D1 schools to take all D1 prospects? I am not sure I agree that ACHA schools can compete with top 1/3 of D3 schools. Article sort of explains why the quality of D3 hockey has improved so much over the last few years.
    Interesting read ... D-3 does not get much attention or respect but we should not be surprised .
    Advocates for college hockey ... College Hockey Inc. Being the best example ... have worked hard to promote D-1 but ignored D-3 for years.
    Last edited by PuckVoice; 04-20-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

It is absurd to think that ACHA programs can complete with the top 1/3 of D3 schools. To illustrate, Adrian has one of the top ACHA D1 teams in the country and has won a National championship. Their NCAA team has never won a championship. I have yet to see a player matriculate from that school’s top club team to the NCAA team.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
        It is absurd to think that ACHA programs can complete with the top 1/3 of D3 schools. To illustrate, Adrian has one of the top ACHA D1 teams in the country and has won a National championship. Their NCAA team has never won a championship. I have yet to see a player matriculate from that school’s top club team to the NCAA team.
        A top flight ACHA1 team would be competitive in most D3 conferences.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I don’t know. You think Adrian’s ACHA team would be competitive in the NCHA? It would seem then, that some of the most impactful players on the ACHA team would end up on the NCAA roster at some point during their college career. To my knowledge that has never happened (correct me if I’m wrong, maybe the #3 goalie on the NCAA team was also on the ACHA roster at some point?)

Arizona State played a two game series with Eau Claire during their first varsity season. Arizona State’s roster that season was comprised of basically the top half of their returning roster from their ACHA D1 National championship team and NCAA D1 scholarship freshman recruits. That series ended with two ties and, I believe, Eau Claire winning shootouts both nights. Eau Claire did not qualify for the D3 NCAA tournament that season.

ACHA teams recruit HS players and kids from the NA3HL. it is rare for a player with real, multi-season NAHL, USHL, AJHL, or BCHL experience to end up on an ACHA roster.
          Last edited by altazo; 04-21-2019, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Re: Not enough D1 schools to take all D1 rated prospects

I don’t know. You think Adrian’s ACHA team would be competitive in the NCHA? It would seem then, that some of the most impactful players on the ACHA team would end up on the NCAA roster at some point during their college career. To my knowledge that has never happened (correct me if I’m wrong, maybe the #3 goalie on the NCAA team was also on the ACHA roster at some point?)

Arizona State played a two game series with Eau Claire during their first varsity season. Arizona State’s roster that season was comprised of basically the top half of their returning roster from their ACHA D1 National championship team and NCAA D1 scholarship freshman recruits. That series ended with two ties and, I believe, Eau Claire winning shootouts both nights. Eau Claire did not qualify for the D3 NCAA tournament that season.

ACHA teams recruit HS players and kids from the NA3HL. it is rare for a player with real, multi-season NAHL, USHL, AJHL, or BCHL experience to end up on an ACHA roster.

I agree. I know kids that are on ACHA D1 rosters and they would have a hard time making many D3 rosters. Maybe the top 2-3 ACHA D1 teams are good but the quality of play drops off quickly after that.

Comment

Competitive = .500 in league play
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Adrian beat Alabama-Huntsville 4-2 in 2013. Oklahoma, one of the top ACHA teams at the time lost both their games to Alabama-Huntsville.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                  Adrian beat Alabama-Huntsville 4-2 in 2013. Oklahoma, one of the top ACHA teams at the time lost both their games to Alabama-Huntsville.
                  Oswego beat the USNDT in 2014 and then the USNDT beat North Dakota*. So Oswego is better than North Dakota

*probably happened. not going to look it up. doesn't matter for the point I'm making
                  #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                    Oswego beat the USNDT in 2014 and then the USNDT beat North Dakota*. So Oswego is better than North Dakota

*probably happened. not going to look it up. doesn't matter for the point I'm making
                    Unfortunately, your point gets a little lost when you learn that the USNDT will suit up "different" teams depending on the competition they are playing. They have a very large roster. The team that played Oswego was most likely significantly different than the team that played North Dakota.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Unfortunately, your point gets a little lost when you learn that the USNDT will suit up "different" teams depending on the competition they are playing. They have a very large roster. The team that played Oswego was most likely significantly different than the team that played North Dakota.
                      Give Oswego their due that night...USA does suit up different players for different games,but…..Matthew Tkachuk...Auston Mathews..Jerramy Bracco...Charles McAvoy...Jordan Greenway...Ryan Donato...Troy tracy… and I could go on,they suited up a top team that night for some reason,just to name a few,any sound familiar...Don't be a buzzkill...They did outshot us 33-16,final score 5-3 Oswego,wish we could have played North Dakota that night...ok maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        Give Oswego their due that night...USA does suit up different players for different games,but…..Matthew Tkachuk...Auston Mathews..Jerramy Bracco...Charles McAvoy...Jordan Greenway...Ryan Donato...Troy tracy… and I could go on,they suited up a top team that night for some reason,just to name a few,any sound familiar...Don't be a buzzkill...They did outshot us 33-16,final score 5-3 Oswego,wish we could have played North Dakota that night...ok maybe not
                        Never heard of any of those guys. LOL
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          They would be cellar dwellers in virtually every conference. They would beat their Morrisvilles, Kings, Chatham, Framingham St. They would get manhandled by the contenders

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                            They would be cellar dwellers in virtually every conference. They would beat their Morrisvilles, Kings, Chatham, Framingham St. They would get manhandled by the contenders
                            hence .500 or so. In the world of college hockey, that's competitive.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That was an interesting read. Thanks.

As someone who watches a lot of hockey on both levels, it's been evident to me for several years now that the talent-gulf has narrowed considerably between D-1 and D-3... As the article mentioned, there are just more good young players out there now than ever before.

I don't necessarily think that D-1 needs to expand, but I do think that the NHL ought to pay more attention to top-tier D-3 players. I've certainly seen a number of D-3 guys recently who were easily more talented than many D-1 draftees, but still seem to end-up in the ECHL or someplace similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X