Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
    Were the Ref's scared to give out another 5 minute major? This one in the 3rd period? Afraid they were going to decide the game? It's the only explanation. Brutal non-call. I agree with Colby Cohen, it was the worst of the four.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Were the Ref's scared to give out another 5 minute major? This one in the 3rd period? Afraid they were going to decide the game? It's the only explanation. Brutal non-call. I agree with Colby Cohen, it was the worst of the four.
      The refs absolutely should have called it. It was an illegal and dangerous hit. There is no room for it in college hockey. They made a huge mistake in not calling it. That’s been said a lot.

But there’s a system in place to challenge the refs if they mess up like this. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the punishment is a time out of you’re wrong. What was Denver saving the time out for there? I think the DU coach deserves just as much blame for not challenging. I mean, he clearly didn’t care about UMass getting rest from a review, he wanted one. Just didn’t want to lose his time out? I don’t get it.

The NCAA did the right thing afterwards by suspending him. Sucks for his teammates and the fans of the team, but jumping to elbow someone in the head isn’t acceptable.

Froma UMass fan’s perspective, Vegara or Bozzo is going to be able to dress tonight and they wouldn’t have otherwise. Mika is going to get more playing time. I hope they take advantage of this opportunity.

Whatever happens tonight, it’s been a hell of a season. I’m really proud to be a UMass alumni, fan, and season ticket holder.
      #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        They’re well on their way to becoming a blue blood, are they not?

Some of the arrogance the fan base has shown sucks, but when you’re consistently winning in March and April, three straight title games, guys playing in the World Juniors and NHL regularly, I’d say you’re well on your way to becoming a blue blood.
        I would agree. If Minnesota Duluth wins tonight, I think they join the ranks of the blue bloods. They would become only the sixth program to win three titles in a decade, and the first program to accomplish that feat since North Dakota in the 1980s (joining Michigan in the 50's (5 titles); Denver in the 60's (4 titles); BU in the 70's (3 titles); Minnesota in the 70's (3 titles); and North Dakota in the 80's (3 titles)). They have more Hobey Baker Award Winners (5) than any other program, and they would also have the best winning percentage in the history of the NCAA Tournament. They boast over 1100 wins in program history, with an all-time winning percentage over 0.500.

The biggest issue that I would have with calling Duluth a "blue blood" is they only have 13 NCAA Tournament appearances. However, all 13 have come since 1983, and they have capitalized on those opportunities, making the Regional Finals all 13 times, with 7 trips to the Frozen Four and 5 trips to the National Championship game. At the very least, the Bulldogs are on the cusp of "blue blood" status, and I think with a title tonight, they ascend to that status.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          They’re well on their way to becoming a blue blood, are they not?

Some of the arrogance the fan base has shown sucks, but when you’re consistently winning in March and April, three straight title games, guys playing in the World Juniors and NHL regularly, I’d say you’re well on your way to becoming a blue blood.
          This is what bothers me with tUMD fans. Gopher fans tout tArrogance with tongue fully in cheek. tUMD fans are just a*holes about it (also see: UND). Note: some tUMD fans are really cool, and mimic the tongue-in-cheek approach that Gopher fans employ. I don't know any Gopher fan that WASN'T cheering for tUMD in 2011. That changed drastically soon after, that's how quick tUMD fans changed.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            I would agree. If Minnesota Duluth wins tonight, I think they join the ranks of the blue bloods. They would become only the sixth program to win three titles in a decade, and the first program to accomplish that feat since North Dakota in the 1980s (joining Michigan in the 50's (5 titles); Denver in the 60's (4 titles); BU in the 70's (3 titles); Minnesota in the 70's (3 titles); and North Dakota in the 80's (3 titles)). They have more Hobey Baker Award Winners (5) than any other program, and they would also have the best winning percentage in the history of the NCAA Tournament. They boast over 1100 wins in program history, with an all-time winning percentage over 0.500.

The biggest issue that I would have with calling Duluth a "blue blood" is they only have 13 NCAA Tournament appearances. However, all 13 have come since 1983, and they have capitalized on those opportunities, making the Regional Finals all 13 times, with 7 trips to the Frozen Four and 5 trips to the National Championship game. At the very least, the Bulldogs are on the cusp of "blue blood" status, and I think with a title tonight, they ascend to that status.
            Nope. They’re basically Michigan Tech, Michigan State, Cornell, Maine status. A fine and proud history but still a pretty significant step behind. But good on them. It’s been a good run this past decade.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
              I don't know any Gopher fan that WASN'T cheering for tUMD in 2011. That changed drastically soon after, that's how quick tUMD fans changed.
              I have not been in the State of Hockey much since 2011, but have not really witnessed a new (or any) tUMD arrogance. RWD has been gone for a while. Most of the tUMD fans I interact with are supportive of all Minnesota teams. I can even tolerate the Mavs now too. That said, my allegiance is first with the Gophers and UMD a close second. Go DOGS!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Nope. They’re basically Michigan Tech, Michigan State, Cornell, Maine status. A fine and proud history but still a pretty significant step behind. But good on them. It’s been a good run this past decade.
                No. If the Bulldogs pull it off tonight they will have ascended to the elite status. Three titles in a decade is something only the elites have done. Throw in another title game appearance and you are looking at something that has only been accomplished four times, and not since the 1970s (i.e. 3 titles and 4 title game appearances in a decade).

Now, just because you reach "blue blood" status doesn't mean it is permanent. For example, only the insane would have argued Tech wasnt a blue blood in 1980. They slipped significantly in the following decades, and now are in that second tier.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  No. If the Bulldogs pull it off tonight they will have ascended to the elite status. Three titles in a decade is something only the elites have done. Throw in another title game appearance and you are looking at something that has only been accomplished four times, and not since the 1970s (i.e. 3 titles and 4 title game appearances in a decade).

Now, just because you reach "blue blood" status doesn't mean it is permanent. For example, only the insane would have argued Tech wasnt a blue blood in 1980. They slipped significantly in the following decades, and now are in that second tier.
                  "Blue blood" is time-bound. The "greatest" overall program, Michigan, had nearly three straight decades where they where utterly irrelevant. UMD will be (already is) a teens blue blood. Their 11-19 is like Lake State 88-02 is like Cornell 67-73 is like Maine 95-04 is like BC 98-12. There are runs; that's all.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    "Blue blood" is time-bound. The "greatest" overall program, Michigan, had nearly three straight decades where they where utterly irrelevant. UMD will be (already is) a teens blue blood. Their 11-19 is like Lake State 88-02 is like Cornell 67-73 is like Maine 95-04 is like BC 98-12. There are runs; that's all.
                    I guess I dont understand your definition. Is Tech a blue blood? Is BC not a blue blood?
                    North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Agreed; that term might be obsolete in the modern context, but I'd deem UMD "elite" in the recent past.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                        No wonder he got suspended, thats as cheap as it gets
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

And this game is on ESPN2. *sigh*. Bumped by UFC.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            And this game is on ESPN2. *sigh*. Bumped by UFC.
                            Which was known since at least the regionals.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Exactly. But not that it really matters, except to fans.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Why did they play the canadian national anthem? This is a US national championship.. not an international game!

Comment

Working...
                                X