This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Just starting a thread since the RIT 18-19 thread hit 1,000 posts and automatically closed. If someone wants to create a different one, I can close this.

Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    Just starting a thread since the RIT 18-19 thread hit 1,000 posts and automatically closed. If someone wants to create a different one, I can close this.
    What's going on with the moratorium on D1 Hockey and sports in general? When will this be lifted? And is RIT still one of the only teams unable to give scholarships...
    R I T HOCKEY
    Frozen Four
    Elite Eight
    NCAA Tournament
    2010-2015-2016
    RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Maybe you can add your last comment from the old thread to this one and we can all talk about that?
      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

If Atlantic Hockey were to go to home sites, my suggestion would be to follow the WCHA model. Top eight teams make the playoffs. Then you have a best-of-three quarterfinal and a best-of-three semifinal at the highest seeds in each round. Championship game, single elimination, at top remaining seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
          What's going on with the moratorium on D1 Hockey and sports in general? When will this be lifted? And is RIT still one of the only teams unable to give scholarships...
          Don’t expect either of those to change soon, if ever. RIT and Union are still the two D-III schools with D-I hockey which by NCAA rules cannot give athletic scholarships.

Comment

Is it still a little early to hear news on whether any of our seniors have or will be signing an ATO with a pro team? Anybody hear anything?
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I think the spread of the league may cause problems. Imagine Air Force being the top seed and losing in the first round of the finals. Crickets for the league final.
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Don’t expect either of those to change soon, if ever. RIT and Union are still the two D-III schools with D-I hockey which by NCAA rules cannot give athletic scholarships.

I can’t imagine the NCAA saying “no” if these two schools teamed up and put forth joint petitions to offer scholarships to their men’s and women’s hockey teams. They already have the template from RPI. I’m not sure they really want to do it. Both still enjoy success with the programs they currently follow.

Now if the landscape changes as teams continue to recruit European talent ala AIC and RIT and Union become doormats in their respective leagues maybe we will hear rumblings for scholarships but like Ed mentioned I don’t think it will happen anytime soon regardless of what many here think would be good for RIT hockey...
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

If it were just college hockey who decided, it would be a slam dunk. Even if it were all of NCAA D-I it probably would sail through. But it’s NCAA D-III that votes on this. If it were easy, it already would have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    I can’t imagine the NCAA saying “no” if these two schools teamed up and put forth joint petitions to offer scholarships to their men’s and women’s hockey teams. They already have the template from RPI. I’m not sure they really want to do it. Both still enjoy success with the programs they currently follow.
                    You obviously don't understand how this works.

The entire NCAA membership has to vote on this.

And the last time this went up for a vote, which resulted in grandfathering in current D3 schools who give out D1 hockey scholarships, it was very contentious. It even got the NYS governor involved to help lobby for the NYS schools.
                    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-29-2019, 07:47 AM.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      You obviously don't understand how this works.

The entire NCAA membership has to vote on this.

And the last time this went up for a vote, which resulted in grandfathering in current D3 schools who give out D1 hockey scholarships, it was very contentious. It even got the NYS governor involved to help lobby for the NYS schools.
                      https://www.uscho.com/2004/01/12/sch...ay-up-schools/

https://www.uscho.com/2012/03/20/rit...to-division-i/

Comment

I can’t imagine the NCAA saying “no” if these two schools teamed up and put forth joint petitions to offer scholarships to their men’s and women’s hockey teams.
                        That won't happen any time soon either. The reasons previously stated notwithstanding, Union voted against the grandfather rule and would be non-scholarship by choice, regardless of the rules. They fancy themselves as an Ivy League school (even though they are not) and until that philosophy changes, they're not going to "team up" with any of the others to help.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Is it still a little early to hear news on whether any of our seniors have or will be signing an ATO with a pro team? Anybody hear anything?
                          It shouldn't be all that early. Guys have pursued those ATO's within a day or two of the season ending at times. There have been FF semi-finalist losing team players playing in the AHL before the FF champion is even decided.
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                            As stated previously, D-III won't allow any D-III team to offer scholarships anymore, with the exception of the granfathered teams. The grandfathering was just voted on most recently about 10 to 15 years ago.

Also, D-I has just within the last few years banned any new play-ups and also made it much more onerous to move your whole athletic program to D-I from D-III. IIRC, it would take at least 10 years to even be able to participate fully and share in any NCAA revenue streams, e.g. March Madness. I believe RIT Women's hockey is the last team that was allowed to play-up in the entire NCAA. The only exception to the play-up rule is the one for the D-II sports that don't have enough programs to offer championships. If they ever grow to the point where D-II hockey offers a championship again, I'm not sure what would happen to the many D-II programs that have been quite successful at D-I hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              Also, D-I has just within the last few years banned any new play-ups and also made it much more onerous to move your whole athletic program to D-I from D-III. IIRC, it would take at least 10 years to even be able to participate fully and share in any NCAA revenue streams, e.g. March Madness. I believe RIT Women's hockey is the last team that was allowed to play-up in the entire NCAA. The only exception to the play-up rule is the one for the D-II sports that don't have enough programs to offer championships. If they ever grow to the point where D-II hockey offers a championship again, I'm not sure what would happen to the many D-II programs that have been quite successful at D-I hockey.
                              I would be curious if the DII teams that currently play DIII all decided to play up, would the NCAA allow it.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                              X