Usa hockey national tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Usa hockey national tournament

First of all there are 3 maybe 4 MN teams that easily could compete for the u-19 national title. Elite Black, Elite Grey, and Elite White, Elite Grey has the most serious players. They very seldom are not at a game in force. They have developed unbelievable Chemistry for never practicing together. This is the first year that they have been allowed to go to compete as Minnesota is starting to take the national championships more seriously. Watch out U-16 tournament because they will come in and be relentless. They could add a couple of players off both the white team and the black team to make them unbeatable. That being said at the U-19 level SSM practices 2 hours a day 6 days a week from Sept-March. The Elite league teams do not. Attendance at games is not mandatory and both White and Black this spring have not fielded a complete roster yet. The reason being most of these kids are doing something else in the spring or have homework or jobs etc...
    You put them on the same schedule as SSM and you don't see the banners hanging from the rafters there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey01 View Post
      If you consider a space above a re-habbed garage a dorm, so be it. Every student at BK should be allowed to live in the school's "dorms" if they were a legit Prep/Boarding school. My guess is that BK does not pay for that space they live in... selects does. I know girls who have left. There was never enough food, proper school transportation wasn't provided, the "dorm" rep aka babysitter would go missing. Girls were not in a good emotional state. Dorms at a true boarding school are part of the campus and campus life. They have a commons for students to dine, they have proctors in the dorms to monitor the students, I could go on and on. You can't just rent a garage space on school property and throw some students in there and call it a boarding school??? Its a hockey academy .... simply that. Its unfortunate parents and kids fall for this term "boarding school". If it was marketed as a Hockey Academy, I don't think as many parents would enroll their daughters. They would be too embarrassed to say to their friends ... "I sent my daughter away to go play hockey in hopes of her getting a scholarship" But because the marketing has been termed a "boarding school", parents love to tell their buddies at the water cooler their daughter is in boarding school and it just so happens they have a good hockey team.
      Again, its a hockey Academy on a high school campus. I know the NY district tried to not have them eligible for nationals a few years back, but they play under multiple names i.e. Rochester Youth hockey, Selects Academy, BK Selects, Selects Academy at Bishop Kearney..... They use whatever moniker that makes them legit for events. Its all about working the system.
      You clearly have not been there and are here to spread garbage and false statements. 40 + girls and families that are there would tell you the same. They don't live above a garage, they take an elevator or stairs to get to school, they have their own chef, and are extremely happy with all of it. They have a long waiting list of girls that want to go there. PLEASE STOP!

Comment

v Lol v

Comment

v Lol v
          I’ve toured the school. I don’t understand the garage reference. The dorms were nice and new. They took the top floor of the school which were the living quarters for priests and nuns back in the day and made them dorms for team. So the physical facility is pretty nice. As far as whether players are happy there I have no idea.

Comment

v Lol v
            What a positive/fair well balanced comment. I don’t think anyone at Selects cares whether we are considered a boarding school or hockey academy. Also since you put prep/boarding schools on a pedestal they have had their challenges from St Pauls, Choate to Deerfield. The prep/boarding schools have had to address their challenges over the years BK will have to do the same. Over a garage which isn’t accurate it is not and the dorms are beautiful. The moniker commit is interesting because they have a tryout and register through RYH. This qualifies them for nationals. If you don’t like the rules get on the agenda at NYS Hockey annual meeting and tighten the rules. I have also read the education is mediocre. The education is a traditional catholic school education. Does it compare to Choate or Deerfield probably not but it doesn’t seem like the college s care. They have over 25 hockey commitments four to ivy league schools like Yale, Princeton and Cornell as well as other schools like Penn State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I think the parents are probably talking around the “water cooler” about how much tale they have kicked in NYS. I guess that is why your comment sounds like someone ****ed in your cheerios

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk66 View Post
              What a positive/fair well balanced comment. I don’t think anyone at Selects cares whether we are considered a boarding school or hockey academy. Also since you put prep/boarding schools on a pedestal they have had their challenges from St Pauls, Choate to Deerfield. The prep/boarding schools have had to address their challenges over the years BK will have to do the same. Over a garage which isn’t accurate it is not and the dorms are beautiful. The moniker commit is interesting because they have a tryout and register through RYH. This qualifies them for nationals. If you don’t like the rules get on the agenda at NYS Hockey annual meeting and tighten the rules. I have also read the education is mediocre. The education is a traditional catholic school education. Does it compare to Choate or Deerfield probably not but it doesn’t seem like the college s care. They have over 25 hockey commitments four to ivy league schools like Yale, Princeton and Cornell as well as other schools like Penn State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I think the parents are probably talking around the “water cooler” about how much tale they have kicked in NYS. I guess that is why your comment sounds like someone ****ed in your cheerios
              I LOL'd because someone said to stop commenting on a forum. Isn't that what forums are? A place to make comments?
              Anyway... you made my point in your reply... they play under a different name to be eligible for nationals. It's a way to work around the system to assemble a multi-district all star team. Any other program in NY couldn't do that because there would be too many out of district players on the team. But because a "building" was put up on a high school campus, they call themselves a boarding school which allows them to pull players from all over. Why isn't a program like NAHA eligible for nationals? (this is not a rhetorical question... I really don't know if they're ineligible or if its their choice not to participate) I know another boarding school out east wanted to do what SSM does and make themselves both a prep team and a U19 T1 national bound team and USA Hockey wouldn't allow it. They would have had to make the request in writing and then there was a 2 year wait period. ?! I guess I don't understand how this program you call a boarding school can just pop up and make an all star team?. btw, none of this directly affects me or my kid. I just think something is wrong with the system. I feel bad for the long established NY programs who suffer because of this.
              and I had Lucky Charms for breakfast... not Cheerios

Comment

But is a national tournament truly necessary other than bragging rights?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I LOL'd because someone said to stop commenting on a forum. Isn't that what forums are? A place to make comments?
                  Anyway... you made my point in your reply... they play under a different name to be eligible for nationals. It's a way to work around the system to assemble a multi-district all star team. Any other program in NY couldn't do that because there would be too many out of district players on the team. But because a "building" was put up on a high school campus, they call themselves a boarding school which allows them to pull players from all over. Why isn't a program like NAHA eligible for nationals? (this is not a rhetorical question... I really don't know if they're ineligible or if its their choice not to participate) I know another boarding school out east wanted to do what SSM does and make themselves both a prep team and a U19 T1 national bound team and USA Hockey wouldn't allow it. They would have had to make the request in writing and then there was a 2 year wait period. ?! I guess I don't understand how this program you call a boarding school can just pop up and make an all star team?. btw, none of this directly affects me or my kid. I just think something is wrong with the system. I feel bad for the long established NY programs who suffer because of this.
                  Perhaps this is why USA hockey..."selected " buffalo over 3 other ranked teams....they feel guilty about allowing the Selects in.

It is my understanding that NAHA plays is JWHL which in not USA hockey and therefore they don't qualify for nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    But is a national tournament truly necessary other than bragging rights?
                    Yes on the bragging rights....be it is also a big recruiting opportunity ( this year probably more for 14s) but in a couple years it will be big again for the 16s.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                      Yes on the bragging rights....be it is also a big recruiting opportunity ( this year probably more for 14s) but in a couple years it will be big again for the 16s.
                      But haven't they been scouted all season and at the various summer select camps?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

absolutely....but this tournament is always packed with coaches. It is supposed to be the best teams from around the country. (not that i agree when the #19 team (Buffalo) gets in over three other teams-can you tell i think their is some BS going on? )Not all of the teams travel to NAHA or Stoneycreek or Wizards Christmas tournament. This occurs after the college season is done so generally well attended.

Comment

The rule states a team have the"greatest percentage" NYS Guide/rule book Section 7 B . You totally don't know what your talking about. The Colonials get all their players from Lawrenceville Prep they have girls from four different states. Mid Fairfield, St Louis, Junior Eagles and Wizards all have out state players. The rule I stated applies to all programs so the Bison's, Regals, Jr Islanders all can have players from out state. NAHA choses not to participate in the National Tournament and supports their JWHL. I can guarantee this the program doesn't care what you call them. So if the Bisons decided they wanted to take 15 players from different states that would be fine as long as the greatest percentage is from NY.

The real problem here which you don't address is that the player pools in states other than Minn. Mass. and CT are not large enough to support a true tier 1 team. This give programs like Selects, Gentry, SSM, Culver Academy and Gilmour academy a market to attract players in search of a hockey experience that will put their daughter/son on a team that has like players on it. This will change when the player pools improve increases and travel programs will be a good option.

Comment

The rule states a team have the"greatest percentage" NYS Guide/rule book Section 7 B . You totally don't know what your talking about. The Colonials get all their players from Lawrenceville Prep they have girls from four different states. Mid Fairfield, St Louis, Junior Eagles and Wizards all have out state players. The rule I stated applies to all programs so the Bison's, Regals, Jr Islanders all can have players from out state. NAHA choses not to participate in the National Tournament and supports their JWHL. I can guarantee this the program doesn't care what you call them. So if the Bisons decided they wanted to take 15 players from different states that would be fine as long as the greatest percentage is from NY.

The real problem here which you don't address is that the player pools in states other than Minn. Mass. and CT are not large enough to support a true tier 1 team. This give programs like Selects, Gentry, SSM, Culver Academy and Gilmour academy a market to attract players in search of a hockey experience that will put their daughter/son on a team that has like players on it. This will change when the player pools improve increases and travel programs will be a good option.
                            Sorry typo the rule states greatest percentage of the team must be from new york state

Comment

Sorry typo the rule states greatest percentage of the team must be from new york state
                              Only five players are from NYS. I guess that’s new math...
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                Only five players are from NYS. I guess that’s new math...
                                The school is considered the girls residence since they board there (per USA Hockey).

Comment

Working...
                                X