Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    It might make more sense to me if I knew what the rationale is for setting the magic number at 34, and why deviating from that just because a team goes to Alaska is OK. Whomever explains that to me will be my favourite person for the day.
    The NCAA game limit is irreverent in regards to the Alaska (and Hawaii) exemptions. It could be 38 games (like it used to be) and teams that travel to play UAA and UA_ in Alaska would still have those games exempted. The reason is to encourage teams in all sports to make the trip to Alaska (and Hawaii) so UAA, UA_ (and UH) will have home games. BTW, there is no "extra weekend" as all games must still be played within the sport's scheduled season length.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      The NCAA game limit is irreverent in regards to the Alaska (and Hawaii) exemptions. It could be 38 games (like it used to be) and teams that travel to play UAA and UA_ in Alaska would still have those games exempted. The reason is to encourage teams in all sports to make the trip to Alaska (and Hawaii) so UAA, UA_ (and UH) will have home games. BTW, there is no "extra weekend" as all games must still be played within the sport's scheduled season length.

Sean
      Like I said before, I understand why there is an exemption for Alaska travel.

My question is why is 34 the magic number?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't speak for the NCAA but... I used to be the director of a 20 team baseball league. We had from May 15 to Aug 1 to play our games. In order to build the schedule we started with the playoffs and worked our way back to the beginning adding in off days as required. Turned out we got to 20 league games plus playoffs.
        so I'm sure there is some sort of rationale. it's not just pulled out of a hat I can assure you.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Like I said before, I understand why there is an exemption for Alaska travel.

My question is why is 34 the magic number?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          I don't know the official reason, but here is a numbers/SWAG argument.

Season starts first weekend in October and regular season ends last weekend in February. For 22 possible weeks of regular season hockey. Most teams, I would assume want a bye during the first or second week of October, Finals week, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Years, one week in the second half of the season, and a floating week off for scheduling/school preferences. For argument's sake, 5 weeks off. That would give you 17 possible weekends of hockey. Multiply that by two and you get 34 games.

To make a 38 game season with current season length, a team would have to give two bye weeks. Finals/Christmas/New Year are shot because of school/family/travel home and most Universities are closed down. Bye weeks are nice for recovery/health/personal development/coaching/school work. Most teams are very green to start the season and need an early bye for coaching purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I can't speak for the NCAA but... I used to be the director of a 20 team baseball league. We had from May 15 to Aug 1 to play our games. In order to build the schedule we started with the playoffs and worked our way back to the beginning adding in off days as required. Turned out we got to 20 league games plus playoffs.
            so I'm sure there is some sort of rationale. it's not just pulled out of a hat I can assure you.
            I figured it was something like that, but that doesn't explain how the teams that get the exemptions are able to fit two more games into their schedule and the other can't?

Comment

I figured it was something like that, but that doesn't explain how the teams that get the exemptions are able to fit two more games into their schedule and the other can't?
              Simply put, not everyone uses the exemptions. It's left as an exercise for the interested reader to go back over the last decade and look at all of UAA/UAF's home OOC opponents and see if they played more than their normal allotment of games.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                So I have been slacking in my recruiting responsibilities, there are 7 recruits I still need to write about. Who do you want to hear about first? I’m thinking I’ll brake it up into 3-4 articles. Maybe the incoming class with extra focus on the 3 I haven’t written about: Ganie, Datema, Lipe

Richartz, Nordstrom

Bangle, VanCompernolle
                ...still waiting...
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Was there a Joe Shawhan Hour Monday?

Comment

http://themix93.com/sports/podcasts/
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Thanks! The MTU website must be undergoing repairs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        "I didn't know what was going on..."

Baloney.

Comment

Reinke gets a half day with the Cup? Sheeeeet...

Comment

Thanks. I kept looking at the MTU web site (sigh)

Comment

Thanks. I kept looking for it at the MTU web site (sigh)

Comment

Thanks, I kept looking at the MTU web page (sigh)

Comment

Working...
                                X