Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    its complicated but with how close BGSU was to making the NCAAs on a couple occasions as an At-Large bid, playing UAH 4 times and winning might have hurt them just enough compared to playing someone better and going 4-0, 3-0-1, or 3-1 would have...
    I'm hoping the formula gets tweaked a bit. I think you need a bigger bonus for winning an away game, especially a non conf away game.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

its complicated but with how close BGSU was to making the NCAAs on a couple occasions as an At-Large bid, playing UAH 4 times and winning might have hurt them just enough compared to playing someone better and going 4-0, 3-0-1, or 3-1 would have...
      If you're wanting to apply something akin to sensitivity analysis to it, yeah, substituting one team in for another but not changing the output does help, but you'd have to do something probabilistic to determine how likely that is.

I will note that UAH's conference wins have gone up every year while their OOC has I think regressed. That's not terribly helpful for the league.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

But without the AK Schools, I would assume the WCHA will go to a balanced schedule of playing the other 7 teams 2H/2A for 28 league games. Would they then basically do away with the "designated rival"? BGSU may still have to play UAH on the last weekend, but what does that matter if they play everyone 4 times? And we don't need to pick on UAH, somebody has to be the bottom, it likely could have been FSU last season and could be anyone next season. Even the Nacho has Colorado College the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          But without the AK Schools, I would assume the WCHA will go to a balanced schedule of playing the other 7 teams 2H/2A for 28 league games. Would they then basically do away with the "designated rival"? BGSU may still have to play UAH on the last weekend, but what does that matter if they play everyone 4 times? And we don't need to pick on UAH, somebody has to be the bottom, it likely could have been FSU last season and could be anyone next season. Even the Nacho has Colorado College the last few years.
          It will be interesting to see if they go with 28 or 24 games...because of their inability to win NC, I would guess 28...not sure I'd pick that because it really limits variety but its the best way for them to get 14+ home games a year.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It will be interesting to see if they go with 28 or 24 games...because of their inability to win NC, I would guess 28...not sure I'd pick that because it really limits variety but its the best way for them to get 14+ home games a year.
            I would like to see them have a balanced schedule. That is the only reason I would like a 28 league games. I think it would do the NCAA well if there were more NC games. It would be nice to see eastern teams more often and there are still old WCHA teams I'd like to see in Houghton as well.

Too bad the NCAA doesn't increase the allowable number of games. If they gave exemptions for making the Alaska trip, why can't they just add two games to the season now that it won't be a benefit of going to Alaska?

Comment

I would like to see them have a balanced schedule. That is the only reason I would like a 28 league games. I think it would do the NCAA well if there were more NC games. It would be nice to see eastern teams more often and there are still old WCHA teams I'd like to see in Houghton as well.

Too bad the NCAA doesn't increase the allowable number of games. If they gave exemptions for making the Alaska trip, why can't they just add two games to the season now that it won't be a benefit of going to Alaska?
              you will likely never see the hockey season # of games increased because NCAA hockey is already one of the longest seasons if not the longest season for NCAA.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

you will likely never see the hockey season # of games increased because NCAA hockey is already one of the longest seasons if not the longest season for NCAA.
                But hockey is the best NCAA sport, so by my logic there should be more games. Actually, if they gave extra games for AK travel, which wears more on the athletes in the first place, why can't they add 2 games to the season for everyone? There goes the NCAA not making sense again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by MTUHuskies; 07-16-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                  But hockey is the best NCAA sport, so by my logic there should be more games. Actually, if they gave extra games for AK travel, which wears more on the athletes in the first place, why can't they add 2 games to the season for everyone? There goes the NCAA not making sense again.

Many teams had the option of playing 38 games with the Alaska/Hawai’i exemptions. It was not used very often. Coaches preferred the bye week instead.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The number of allowable games is agreed amongst teams from many different leagues and perspectives. I am sure that the some of the ECAC schools would be fine with fewer games along the lines of DIII. There is always a delicate balance between the athlete/student and the student/athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Many teams had the option of playing 38 games with the Alaska/Hawai’i exemptions. It was not used very often. Coaches preferred the bye week instead.
                      After 38 games in his first season — plus a game against USNTDP — Mike Corbett swore he'd never play 38 again.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Yeah, BG has crapped the bed multiple times in the last series of the season. Last season we split with UAH and finished 3rd instead of 2nd. The previous season we split and missed the tourney by some tiny amount. UAH's low RPI wasn't cause of the misses, though. BG needed to win more games.
                        Go Falcons!

Comment

• Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
                          The number of allowable games is agreed amongst teams from many different leagues and perspectives. I am sure that the some of the ECAC schools would be fine with fewer games along the lines of DIII. There is always a delicate balance between the athlete/student and the student/athlete.
                          The NCAA allows a max of 34 plus the Alaska & Hall of Fame Game exemptions. There may be an exemption for the Icebreaker as well.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

You are the one not making sense. The NCAA has exemptions for teams that play games against UAA and UA_ in Alaska because of the travel issue. If your team no longer wants to travel to Alaska to play UAA and UA_ then they lose the exemptions and are limited to the 34 games.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: The Quest to Get Hard

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              The NCAA allows a max of 34 plus the Alaska & Hall of Fame Game exemptions. There may be an exemption for the Icebreaker as well.
                              Correct ... AHA gets 28 Conf & 6 OOC, Big Ten gets 24 Conf & 10 OOC, ECAC non-ivy gets 22 conf & 12 OOC, ECAC ivy gets 22 conf & 7 OOC, HE gets 24 Conf & 10 OOC, NCHC gets 24 Conf & 10 OOC, WCHA gets 28 Conf & 6 OOC. If a team has more games than above, it's because they are playing an Alaska team / hall of fame game / icebreaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                You are the one not making sense. The NCAA has exemptions for teams that play games against UAA and UA_ in Alaska because of the travel issue. If your team no longer wants to travel to Alaska to play UAA and UA_ then they lose the exemptions and are limited to the 34 games.

Sean
                                I understand why they get the Alaska exemption. What doesn't make sense to me is that I assume they limit the schedule to 34 games because they feel the student athletes shouldn't be playing more games than that and taking more time away from school, etc. So a team makes a trip to Alaska, which takes them out of school for a lot longer and is a lot more physically taxing than your standard road trip. If they can have an extra weekend and make the Alaska trip, why can't everyone have an extra weekend anyway?

It might make more sense to me if I knew what the rationale is for setting the magic number at 34, and why deviating from that just because a team goes to Alaska is OK. Whomever explains that to me will be my favourite person for the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X