Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye Enrico!

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    That could put a ding in how much they'll have left to pay the next coach!
    The buyout is very, very favorable to Miami. If Rico gets a job that pays $100K, he's owed nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by thechuck_2112 View Post
      The buyout is very, very favorable to Miami. If Rico gets a job that pays $100K, he's owed nothing.
      Sounds like Rico's gonna be spending a couple of years binge watching The Flintstones.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
        Sounds like Rico's gonna be spending a couple of years binge watching The Flintstones.
        And what's his compensation if he takes a salary of 99,999 for a couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by bonin21 View Post
          and what's his compensation if he takes a salary of 99,999 for a couple of years?
          A year's salary, less 99,999, I believe - but I am not a lawyer...
          Last edited by Dan; 03-19-2019, 02:45 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
            I don't see Bergeron leaving Bowling Green. There has been continued bitterness with how Miami abandoned BG so easily during the league changes.
            Agree. Given the turnaround he's performed at BGSU, he has to be at the top of the list. It'll be interesting to see if the pull of his alma mater is strong enough to overcome his bitterness of that alma mater shafting him during realignment. Plus, does he now view staying at Bowling Green as the easier path to the tournament rather than trying to rebuild Miami in the grind of the NCHC.
            Last edited by Eddie Schorr; 03-19-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie schorr View Post
              sounds like rico's gonna be spending a couple of years binge watching the flintstones.
              Ha!

Comment

I personally know Casey Jones from his years at Ohio State and he is a great guy!
                All the players loved him and if they had a problem they felt more comfortable bringing it to Casey rather than Markel.
                You can scratch Potulny from your list. He’s got a $280,000 salary and a $250,000 buyout clause in his contract. Bergeron has a pretty steep buyout too and I believe he’s under contract thru the 2022-23 season. But, could BG assistant Ty Eigner be a candidate?
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                  I don't see Bergeron leaving Bowling Green. There has been continued bitterness with how Miami abandoned BG so easily during the league changes.
                  I am not going to tell BG fans (or administrators) how to feel - and I'm sure such bitterness exists for some - but I don't really think its fair to blame Miami for BG not getting into the NCHC. First of all, the NCHC is essentially the WCHA cast-off league - the top remaining WCHA teams made six and then the search began for two remaining teams to round out the league. Miami was a no-brainer as a national power at the time. The NCHC was founded with the specific goal of becoming the 'top conference in college hockey'. UND, DU, UMD, SCSU and CC all had something to say about the eighth team in the league. It wasn't Miami's decision alone and Miami certainly didn't have the most influential voice in the room...

Bowling Green was a miserable team and a year or two removed from seriously considering dropping hockey all together. Western Michigan (another MAC/CCHA conference ally hoping for Miami's support), meanwhile, had made two-consecutive NCAA Tournaments - and had the added benefit of bringing Michigan into the conference footprint. WMU was likely a no-brainer for six of the seven teams in the conference, with the seventh pulled in two directions between two friendly ADs. Did BGSU seriously expect Miami to risk its lot in the new league to dig them out of a mess they'd made for themselves two years earlier? I doubt BGSU would have done so for Miami if the roles had been reversed - or would do so now if conference realignment was on the horizon with the Falcons up and Miami down. It was terrible timing for BG (including a couple of fluke seasons by their top competition, WMU) and nothing more...

Chris Bergeron is a Miami alum, who spent ten years as an assistant at Miami and played a MAJOR role in its recent run of national success. Barry Schutte is a Miami alum, who has spent a number of his professional years in and around the RedHawk program. If Miami offers and Bergeron turns them down, its probably because he thinks BGSU is a better fit for what he wants to accomplish. If there would be any personal reason not to take the job, it would probably be because he is close to Rico - not because he holds any ill-will towards his alma mater and a Miami administration that is long gone...
                  Last edited by Dan; 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    You can scratch Potulny from your list. He’s got a $280,000 salary and a $250,000 buyout clause in his contract. Bergeron has a pretty steep buyout too and I believe he’s under contract thru the 2022-23 season. But, could BG assistant Ty Eigner be a candidate?
                    I don't know enough about Eigner to say one way or the other. I'm sure he's done a nice job at BGSU...

However, I will say, that I don't think Miami fired a coach like Enrico Blasi, and are willing to eat that buyout, to go cheap on a new hire. They'll spend if thats what they need to do to get their guy. They're committed to winning (and doing what it takes to do so) in the NCHC. We'll find out if this is the right move soon enough. Sayler has raised a lot of money since getting to Miami for capital purposes AND to aggressively clean up coaching situations. I would imagine Miami came into this year with a decision to make - football coach or hockey coach - and had already budgeted or raised the money to replace one of the two the right way. Unfortunately, Blasi seems to have drawn the short straw...

---

That said, those are just the names that would be on MY list if I was an AD - hiring at any school. Bergeron is the only one with a direct Miami connection and Bennett is the only one without any notable connection at all to the school or the NCHC footprint. They may have an entirely different list - that likely includes candidates in all financial ranges. It would not surprise me, either, to see Mannino considered - based on how well received his recruiting has been. That would certainly be a cheaper and more risky route than I would prefer, but I think they'd be doing so because they believed in him (and they may or may not) not solely for the financial benefit...
                    Last edited by Dan; 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I am not going to tell BG fans (or administrators) how to feel - and I'm sure such bitterness exists for some - but I don't really think its fair to blame Miami for BG not getting into the NCHC. First of all, the NCHC is essentially the WCHA cast-off league - the top remaining WCHA teams made six and then the search began for two remaining teams to round out the league. Miami was a no-brainer as a national power at the time. The NCHC was founded with the specific goal of becoming the 'top conference in college hockey'. UND, DU, UMD, SCSU and CC all had something to say about the eighth team in the league. It wasn't Miami's decision alone and Miami certainly didn't have the most influential voice in the room...

Bowling Green was a miserable team and a year or two removed from seriously considering dropping hockey all together. Western Michigan (another MAC/CCHA conference ally hoping for Miami's support), meanwhile, had made two-consecutive NCAA Tournaments - and had the added benefit of bringing Michigan into the conference footprint. WMU was likely a no-brainer for six of the seven teams in the conference, with the seventh pulled in two directions between two friendly ADs. Did BGSU seriously expect Miami to risk its lot in the new league to dig them out of a mess they'd made for themselves two years earlier? I doubt BGSU would have done so for Miami if the roles had been reversed - or would do so now if conference realignment was on the horizon with the Falcons up and Miami down. It was terrible timing for BG (including a couple of fluke seasons by their top competition, WMU) and nothing more...

Chris Bergeron is a Miami alum, who spent ten years as an assistant at Miami and played a MAJOR role in its recent run of national success. Barry Schutte is a Miami alum, who has spent a number of his professional years in and around the RedHawk program. If Miami offers and Bergeron turns them down, its probably because he thinks BGSU is a better fit for what he wants to accomplish. If there would be any personal reason not to take the job, it would probably be because he is close to Rico - not because he holds any ill-will towards his alma mater and a Miami administration that is long gone...
                      The original NCHC teams were Omaha, Denver, CC, North Dakota, Duluth and Miami. The league was hoping to include Notre Dame. When the Irish jumped to Hockey East, St. Cloud and Western Michigan were added to make an 8 team league.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Seth Appert probably wants another crack at an NCAA head coaching gig. I’m sure he could do much better at a place like Miami than at RPI.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          The original NCHC teams were Omaha, Denver, CC, North Dakota, Duluth and Miami. The league was hoping to include Notre Dame. When the Irish jumped to Hockey East, St. Cloud and Western Michigan were added to make an 8 team league.
                          Your correct. Thanks for clearing that up. I always forget about Omaha. Still, the point remains, there were five other programs with a lot to say (led by DU and UND) about who joined the league - and who were heavily focused on who was currently successful and would bring immediate prestige to the table...

BGSU was desperate to resurrect their program and I'm sure they understood Miami was their only avenue into the league (hence the frustration). But that knowledge should have indicated how realistic that was and what the remaining NCHC founder's really thought of the program at the time. They were two years away from threatening to shut things down and had won 15 games in the previous two seasons. That is what did them in, not Miami. Again, it was unfortunate timing - but likely fortuitous as it allowed them to quickly rebuild in a more manageable league...
                          Last edited by Dan; 03-19-2019, 03:29 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                            boy, you are giddy! Lol...

You are right about meyer. That was a bad look and poor handling of the situation - i would not be surprised if that played a roll in this decision, and not just because having meyer on this year's team would have really helped...

Hope they can make a hire soon, and the new hire can keep some of the younger recruits with upside. Mannino has done a nice job in his short time here re-stocking the pipeline. With that talent at least a couple years away, now is the time to make the change if this is the ad's decision...

I wouldn't worry about the salary for the next coach. Despite his faults, one thing sayler can certainly do is raise money - im sure he's thought a while about how to make this work. The job should attract some strong names...

---

the names that jump to my mind are (in no particular order and without yet any insight into miami's thought process)..

Chris bergeron (bgsu)
                            dave hakstol (unemployed)
                            casey jones (clarkson)
                            rick bennett (union)
                            fred harbinson (penticton, bchl)
                            grant potulny (nmu)
                            Tim Whitehead

Comment

Ha!
                              You sure seem to have something against Miami. Wonder what it could be with that username??

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                                Tim Whitehead
                                Also a UNH fan, having grown up in NH. No, thank you. Good for him accomplishing what he has at the prep-level, however. Who's your next suggestion, Red Gendron...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X