2019 NCAA Tournament Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 NCAA Tournament Bracketology

A local sportswriter from the Star Tribune takes a shot at projecting a bracket for the NCAA Tourney:

https://www.startribune.com/bracketo...-up/507029102/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Bracketology

In my opinion bracketology even a couple weeks early is just clickbait.

Only posting because I also want to say the regional locations suck this year with three east of Ohio...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      In my opinion bracketology even a couple weeks early is just clickbait.
      I thought it would be interesting to put Johnson's bracket up here if for no other reason to compare how the final bracket compares to his admittedly very early attempt. His rational in building it does appear to be solid.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Only posting because I also want to say the regional locations suck this year with three east of Ohio...
      Eastern bias, plain and simple!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I thought it would be interesting to put Johnson's bracket up here if for no other reason to compare how the final bracket compares to his admittedly very early attempt. His rational in building it does appear to be solid.

Eastern bias, plain and simple!
        More then half the field, probably 10 out of 16, will be from east of Ohio? Why would that not be appropriate here??? Lol

Although 3 of the top 4 are midwest schools, so i see your guys point after all.

Comment

What was the bracket?
          I'm not a subscriber and can't see it.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            What was the bracket?
            I'm not a subscriber and can't see it.
            Here you go:

Bracketology: NCAA field taking shape, Minnesota State moves up
            By Randy Johnson March 12, 2019 — 8:29am

We’re less than two weeks until Selection Sunday – March 24 – and the NCAA tournament picture is starting to take shape. There will be some changes, especially if there are upsets in conference tournaments and teams outside of the top 16 of the PairWise Ratings secure automatic NCAA bids, but the top four especially is taking shape.

College Hockey News' PairWise Probability Matrix lists St. Cloud State's chances of being the No. 1 overall seed at 100 percent. It also has Massachusetts at 97 percent, Minnesota State at 80 percent and Minnesota Duluth at 49 percent in being one of the top four overall seeds. Quinnipiac, No. 5 in the PairWise, has the best chance to jump into the top four, with a 60 percent chance, according to the matrix.

Over the weekend, there were some slight alterations in the PairWise, with the most significant being Minnesota State moving up to No. 3, one spot ahead of Minnesota Duluth, which dropped a spot to No. 4 after being swept at No. 1 St. Cloud State. The three Minnesota teams remain in line to be No. 1 NCAA seeds. Here is the latest top 16 in the PairWise Ratings, plus others of note:

1. St. Cloud State
            2. Massachusetts
            3. Minnesota State
            4. Minnesota Duluth
            5. Quinnipiac
            6. Ohio State
            7. Denver
            8. Northeastern
            9. Providence
            10. Arizona State
            11. Clarkson
            12. Cornell
            13. Western Michigan
            14. Harvard
            15. Notre Dame
            16. Bowling Green (deleted)
            16. American International
            18. North Dakota
            19. Penn State
            21. Gophers

Once again, the No. 16 team in the PairWise, Bowling Green, is bumped by projected Atlantic Hockey tournament champion American International, which is No. 33.

The NCAA tries to avoid intraconference pairings in the first round, and we have two if we go strictly by bracket integrity: No. 4 Minnesota Duluth vs. No. 13 Western Michigan, and No. 5 Quinnipiac vs. No. 12 Cornell. That calls for adjustment. Plus, the NCAA selection committee will consider attendance in assigning teams. One case of this is placing Providence in the East Regional in Providence, even though the Friars are not the host school; Brown is the host.

Here’s my projected bracket:

West Regional (Fargo)

1. St. Cloud State vs. 16. American International
            7. Denver vs. 10. Arizona State

Comment: Strictly by bracket integrity, it would be No. 8 Northeastern vs. No. 9 Providence in Fargo. But Denver and Northeastern are swapped to help attendance in the Northeast Regional, and Providence moves to the East. Arizona State is moved to Fargo so No. 11 Clarkson can go to Manchester.

Northeast Regional (Manchester, N.H.)

2. Massachusetts vs. 15. Notre Dame
            8. Northeastern vs. 11. Clarkson

Comment: With three Eastern teams in Manchester, attendance should get a boost.

Midwest Regional (Allentown, Pa.)

3. Minnesota State vs. 14. Western Michigan
            6. Ohio State vs. 11. Cornell

Comment: All four No. 3 regional seeds are moved, and Cornell landing in Allentown helps attendance. Western Michigan ends up here instead of Providence to avoid an intraconference matchup with Minnesota Duluth.

East Regional (Providence, R.I.)

4. Minnesota Duluth vs. 14. Harvard
            5. Quinnipiac vs. 9. Providence

Comment: A 5-9 matchup isn’t balanced well, but the NCAA has shown it’ll put Providence in Providence.

Keep an eye on North Dakota and Penn State. Both are regional hosts and would be placed in Fargo and Allentown, respectively, if they qualify. Those would be challenging first-round matchups for No. 1 St. Cloud State and No. 3 Minnesota State.

Comment

Go AIC. Yes, I'm serious. That would be awesome. They've sucked so long. Let them win a game or two.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Here you go:

Bracketology: NCAA field taking shape, Minnesota State moves up
                By Randy Johnson March 12, 2019 — 8:29am

We’re less than two weeks until Selection Sunday – March 24 – and the NCAA tournament picture is starting to take shape. There will be some changes, especially if there are upsets in conference tournaments and teams outside of the top 16 of the PairWise Ratings secure automatic NCAA bids, but the top four especially is taking shape.

College Hockey News' PairWise Probability Matrix lists St. Cloud State's chances of being the No. 1 overall seed at 100 percent. It also has Massachusetts at 97 percent, Minnesota State at 80 percent and Minnesota Duluth at 49 percent in being one of the top four overall seeds. Quinnipiac, No. 5 in the PairWise, has the best chance to jump into the top four, with a 60 percent chance, according to the matrix.

Over the weekend, there were some slight alterations in the PairWise, with the most significant being Minnesota State moving up to No. 3, one spot ahead of Minnesota Duluth, which dropped a spot to No. 4 after being swept at No. 1 St. Cloud State. The three Minnesota teams remain in line to be No. 1 NCAA seeds. Here is the latest top 16 in the PairWise Ratings, plus others of note:

1. St. Cloud State
                2. Massachusetts
                3. Minnesota State
                4. Minnesota Duluth
                5. Quinnipiac
                6. Ohio State
                7. Denver
                8. Northeastern
                9. Providence
                10. Arizona State
                11. Clarkson
                12. Cornell
                13. Western Michigan
                14. Harvard
                15. Notre Dame
                16. Bowling Green (deleted)
                16. American International
                18. North Dakota
                19. Penn State
                21. Gophers

Once again, the No. 16 team in the PairWise, Bowling Green, is bumped by projected Atlantic Hockey tournament champion American International, which is No. 33.

The NCAA tries to avoid intraconference pairings in the first round, and we have two if we go strictly by bracket integrity: No. 4 Minnesota Duluth vs. No. 13 Western Michigan, and No. 5 Quinnipiac vs. No. 12 Cornell. That calls for adjustment. Plus, the NCAA selection committee will consider attendance in assigning teams. One case of this is placing Providence in the East Regional in Providence, even though the Friars are not the host school; Brown is the host.

Here’s my projected bracket:

West Regional (Fargo)

1. St. Cloud State vs. 16. American International
                7. Denver vs. 10. Arizona State

Comment: Strictly by bracket integrity, it would be No. 8 Northeastern vs. No. 9 Providence in Fargo. But Denver and Northeastern are swapped to help attendance in the Northeast Regional, and Providence moves to the East. Arizona State is moved to Fargo so No. 11 Clarkson can go to Manchester.

Northeast Regional (Manchester, N.H.)

2. Massachusetts vs. 15. Notre Dame
                8. Northeastern vs. 11. Clarkson

Comment: With three Eastern teams in Manchester, attendance should get a boost.

Midwest Regional (Allentown, Pa.)

3. Minnesota State vs. 14. Western Michigan
                6. Ohio State vs. 11. Cornell

Comment: All four No. 3 regional seeds are moved, and Cornell landing in Allentown helps attendance. Western Michigan ends up here instead of Providence to avoid an intraconference matchup with Minnesota Duluth.

East Regional (Providence, R.I.)

4. Minnesota Duluth vs. 14. Harvard
                5. Quinnipiac vs. 9. Providence

Comment: A 5-9 matchup isn’t balanced well, but the NCAA has shown it’ll put Providence in Providence.

Keep an eye on North Dakota and Penn State. Both are regional hosts and would be placed in Fargo and Allentown, respectively, if they qualify. Those would be challenging first-round matchups for No. 1 St. Cloud State and No. 3 Minnesota State.
                If this scenario holds up, nobody will show-up in Allentown. (But, that was an awful site in the first place, lacking the flyer on Penn State.)

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Go AIC. Yes, I'm serious. That would be awesome. They've sucked so long. Let them win a game or two.
                  No.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

If North Dakota qualifies and hosts then St Cloud and Mankato will swap.

For future reference copying and pasting entire stories is frowned upon, particularly if the article is behind a paywall.

Comment

The thing that blows me away now is that 10/15 years ago asa1 seed you got a highly favorable match up. Would it surprise anyone if West mich harvard or Notre Dame won? The is so little separating 1 -20 now
                      All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

I think the WCHA has a good chance to get 2 teams in. I hope it's Lake State as the second team, but it will be admittedly tough for them this weekend. Realistically I'm not going to count out Bowling Green. If both BGSU and Minnesota State advance to the WCHA final, I like BG's chances. They swept Minnesota State this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          If North Dakota qualifies and hosts then St Cloud and Mankato will swap.

For future reference copying and pasting entire stories is frowned upon, particularly if the article is behind a paywall.
                          What are the chances that North Dakota would be a three seed? I would think getting to 12 would be realistic (probable?) if they win the conference tournament, which is the most likely way they get in. Then SCSU could still get to Fargo.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            What are the chances that North Dakota would be a three seed? I would think getting to 12 would be realistic (probable?) if they win the conference tournament, which is the most likely way they get in. Then SCSU could still get to Fargo.
                            Magic 8-ball says "Future hazy; ask again later."

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              If this scenario holds up, nobody will show-up in Allentown. (But, that was an awful site in the first place, lacking the flyer on Penn State.)
                              Western or Notre Dame, OSU and Cornell is the best you can do for Allentown. Cornell is surprisingly close to Allentown and would still bring a good crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X