Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      Or it could be 2" closer to the camera than his right glove is. This photo is no more conclusive than the video from the other angle. Although it does show that the official's view could have been blocked by Letourneau's body, again inconclusive from this angle. In any case, by watching the video posted earlier, can you honestly say that Letourneau was "denied a more reasonable scoring opportunity" by Gotz's actions?
      I will absolutely say 100% it did. Even a slight tap on the stick/hand is enough to throw off the shot. Reaching for a player with the stick is one of the interpretations that was changed a few years ago in an effort to eliminate the WCHA style of play (remember the season that started with all the confusing penalties for minor "touches" that we had all grown used to?). Those are still in effect, just ignored by the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        It was not about losing the series, just the continued inconsistency the entire season of WCHA refs on the following:

Boarding
        Real checking from Behind
        Hits to head emphasis
        Interference

Polglaze hit as mentioned, no way a 5:00. Polglaze ejected for nothing.
        Penalty shot, penalty shot called for Letorneau hockey stopping too hard to the right - ridiculous
        Steman hit in head with blind side hit, officials warrant review, do not even call a 2:00 interference which was a given call.
        Steman struck in the head on Friday night, officials huddling after the game to review the no call.

The WCHA has to review the performance level, it has been so bad this year, I am questioning buying the stream again next year as the refs have way too much say in the outcomes.
        Inconsistency is the main point, this is not rec hockey, we as fans of the league deserve better and even more important the Div 1 athletes deserve way better.
        They can’t call a 2:00 minor on review on that hit if they didn’t initially call it on the ice. It’s got to be 5 or nothing. If they do make the call during play, they start with 2, which cannot be negated. They can then review to see if it warrants 5.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Very valid points. But officials know what they are signing up for and as stated before these boys deserve better at the D1 level.
          So where do you find all these people who are so much better and willing and able to do the job? Especially when the fans will sit and complain about the job the supposedly better refs at the next level do?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Fire Greg Shepherd, WCHA officiating the laughing stock of NCAA Divison 1 Hockey

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            So where do you find all these people who are so much better and willing and able to do the job? Especially when the fans will sit and complain about the job the supposedly better refs at the next level do?
            Marquette, of course. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

They can’t call a 2:00 minor on review on that hit if they didn’t initially call it on the ice. It’s got to be 5 or nothing. If they do make the call during play, they start with 2, which cannot be negated. They can then review to see if it warrants 5.
              Having talked at length with some of the WCHA refs post-game back in the day...it's really interesting to hear their perspectives on calls. I often still disagreed with their call(s), but I could see their point of view on them. On the flipside, they admitted they could see why the fans were angry.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Well you do not by accepting mediocrity with the same bunch Shepherd and Piotrowski. It is time for their tenure to be revoked.

It is an endless debate, but I hold NCAA hockey very highly as my favorite sport and the leagues have to commit to being better.

They missed the interference, point 1 for our view, but it is still ok because it was not a 5:00. At least they did not boot the BG guy from the game, right?
                Last edited by Huskiefan906; 03-10-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  In other words, "My guy is a tough, physical, hard-nosed hockey player. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie."

How close am I?
                  That's been my signature for years.
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                    That's been my signature for years.
                    Actually, that's where I stole it from, hence the quotes. I just couldn't remember which person or else I would have attributed to you.
                    Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 03-11-2019, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      It was not about losing the series, just the continued inconsistency the entire season of WCHA refs on the following:

Boarding
                      Real checking from Behind
                      Hits to head emphasis
                      Interference

Polglaze hit as mentioned, no way a 5:00. Polglaze ejected for nothing.
                      Penalty shot, penalty shot called for Letorneau hockey stopping too hard to the right - ridiculous
                      Steman hit in head with blind side hit, officials warrant review, do not even call a 2:00 interference which was a given call.
                      Steman struck in the head on Friday night, officials huddling after the game to review the no call.

The WCHA has to review the performance level, it has been so bad this year, I am questioning buying the stream again next year as the refs have way too much say in the outcomes.
                      Inconsistency is the main point, this is not rec hockey, we as fans of the league deserve better and even more important the Div 1 athletes deserve way better.
                      If no penalty was called before they went to review it then they can only call a 5 minute penalty

Comment

Without a dog in the fight after seeing that video and picture (or even one and not the other) I think it was the right call to award a penalty shot. Was it the “roughest “ or “hardest” penalty to result in a penalty shot? No obviously it was on the softer side as far as penalty shot infractions go but he seems to interfere and impede the shot.
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Marginally he did yes, but that would be inconsistent with how things had been called all game up to that time.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Marginally he did yes, but that would be inconsistent with how things had been called all game up to that time.
                            That's fair and I don't know the rest of the game and series; I'm just saying regardless of what other calls were made or missed, I think they got that one right. No idea if they were consistent.
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Meanwhile in the Federal Hockey League....

http://www.weny.com/story/40104427/o...r-refs-updates
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Big Ten reffing is pathetic, too.
                                Like I said a ****ING JOKE all year

Comment

Working...
                                X