Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Part 2 - a bit controversial

The NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Tournament is a 12 team tournament. There are 8 Automatic Qualifiers (Pool A) and 4 At-Large berths (Pool C). There are no Pool B selections. All teams not in Pool A are eligible for selection in Pool C.

For the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, the NCAA Division III selections will be made via the Pair Wise Ranking System that has been used by our Division I brethren. The latest PWR ranking can be found here. The rankings used here are accurate as of this posting. After Tuesday, things may change.

Bracketology assumes the season ended yesterday. That is, no more games are to be played. In absence of the conference tournament, the first place teams in each Conference are assigned to Pool A. They are (with their PWR ranking in parenthesis):

CCC: Salve Regina (17)
    MASCAC: Plymouth State (31)
    MIAC: Augsburg (11)
    NCHA: St. Norbert (6)
    NEHC: Mass-Boston (5)
    NESCAC: Wesleyan (10)
    SUNYAC: Geneseo (2)
    UCHC: Utica (15)

The next 4 teams in the PWR, not otherwise in Pool A are:
    Wisconsin-Stevens Point (1)
    Oswego (3)
    Norwich (4)
    Adrian (7)

Ranking them now in PWR order we have:
    Stevens Point (1)
    Geneseo (2)
    Oswego (3)
    Norwich (4)
    Mass-Boston (5)
    St. Norbert (6)
    Adrian (7)
    Wesleyan (10)
    Augsburg (11)
    Utica (15)
    Salve Regina (17)
    Plymouth St. (31)

We have 4 West teams and 8 East teams. Or do we? Adrian, for as long as they have been in the tournament, are the wild card and the tournament committee has shifted them into the Eastern side if it makes sense.

The famous NCAA Mileage Calculator is used by the NCAA to decide on flight/bus, with 500 miles being the cutoff. The NCAA Pre Championship Manual has all the stuff you need, including a very interesting bracket template (which I consigned to the trash bin).

The mileage from Adrian to the other 3 Western schools are:
    Stevens-Point: 490
    St. Norbert: 435
    Augsburg: 636

How about Eastern schools?
    Oswego: 486
    Geneseo: 395
    Utica: 534

If we do a 4 team western bracket there is a possibility that Augsburg would travel to Adrian and that would mean a flight.

So we'll do this:
    Round 1 (March 9)
    Augsburg at St. Norbert
    Plymouth St. at Norwich
    Salve Regina at Mass-Boston
    Utica at Wesleyan

Byes: Stevens Point, Geneseo, Oswego, Adrian

Quarterfinals March (16)
    Augsburg/St. Norbert at Stevens Point
    Weselyan/Utica at Geneseo
    Salve Regina/Mass-Boston v Plymouth/Norwich
    Adrian at Oswego

Semifinals (March 22)
    Stevens Point/Augsburg/St. Norbert v Salve Regina/Mass-Boston/Plymouth St./Norwich
    Weslayan/Utica/Geneseo v Adrian/Oswego

Finals (March 24)
    Semifinal winners
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Part 2 - a bit controversial

The NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Tournament is a 12 team tournament. There are 8 Automatic Qualifiers (Pool A) and 4 At-Large berths (Pool C). There are no Pool B selections. All teams not in Pool A are eligible for selection in Pool C.

For the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, the NCAA Division III selections will be made via the Pair Wise Ranking System that has been used by our Division I brethren. The latest PWR ranking can be found here. The rankings used here are accurate as of this posting. After Tuesday, things may change.

Bracketology assumes the season ended yesterday. That is, no more games are to be played. In absence of the conference tournament, the first place teams in each Conference are assigned to Pool A. They are (with their PWR ranking in parenthesis):

CCC: Salve Regina (17)
    MASCAC: Plymouth State (31)
    MIAC: Augsburg (11)
    NCHA: St. Norbert (6)
    NEHC: Mass-Boston (5)
    NESCAC: Wesleyan (10)
    SUNYAC: Geneseo (2)
    UCHC: Utica (15)

The next 4 teams in the PWR, not otherwise in Pool A are:
    Wisconsin-Stevens Point (1)
    Oswego (3)
    Norwich (4)
    Adrian (7)

Ranking them now in PWR order we have:
    Stevens Point (1)
    Geneseo (2)
    Oswego (3)
    Norwich (4)
    Mass-Boston (5)
    St. Norbert (6)
    Adrian (7)
    Wesleyan (10)
    Augsburg (11)
    Utica (15)
    Salve Regina (17)
    Plymouth St. (31)

We have 4 West teams and 8 East teams. Or do we? Adrian, for as long as they have been in the tournament, are the wild card and the tournament committee has shifted them into the Eastern side if it makes sense.

The famous NCAA Mileage Calculator is used by the NCAA to decide on flight/bus, with 500 miles being the cutoff. The NCAA Pre Championship Manual has all the stuff you need, including a very interesting bracket template (which I consigned to the trash bin).

The mileage from Adrian to the other 3 Western schools are:
    Stevens-Point: 490
    St. Norbert: 435
    Augsburg: 636

How about Eastern schools?
    Oswego: 486
    Geneseo: 395
    Utica: 534

If we do a 4 team western bracket there is a possibility that Augsburg would travel to Adrian and that would mean a flight.

So we'll do this:
    Round 1 (March 9)
    Augsburg at St. Norbert
    Plymouth St. at Norwich
    Salve Regina at Mass-Boston
    Utica at Wesleyan

Byes: Stevens Point, Geneseo, Oswego, Adrian

Quarterfinals March (16)
    Augsburg/St. Norbert at Stevens Point
    Weselyan/Utica at Geneseo
    Salve Regina/Mass-Boston v Plymouth/Norwich
    Adrian at Oswego

Semifinals (March 22)
    Stevens Point/Augsburg/St. Norbert v Salve Regina/Mass-Boston/Plymouth St./Norwich
    Weslayan/Utica/Geneseo v Adrian/Oswego

Finals (March 24)
    Semifinal winners
    For the 100th time, if there are four western teams and they have two quarterfinals in the west, no flights are necessary. You have again ignored this scenario.

Comment

Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
      For the 100th time, if there are four western teams and they have two quarterfinals in the west, no flights are necessary. You have again ignored this scenario.
      I think the real question is going to be are they going to try everything they can to put the championship weekend out west? If so, then they will make sure two western teams make it to the semifinals and won't play around with the Adrian can go east situation if they don't have to.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Adrian -> Augsburg is a flight.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          I think the real question is going to be are they going to try everything they can to put the championship weekend out west? If so, then they will make sure two western teams make it to the semifinals and won't play around with the Adrian can go east situation if they don't have to.
          I know Dan said it is (and if Dan said it, it has to be true!), but if it's Augsburg and Adrian vs. Oswego, do they really want to do that?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Augsburg 4
            Adrian 3
            SNC 2
            Point 1

Comment

One more time from the cheap seats...It doesn't matter if the four western teams go straight to the quarterfinals and those two teams aren't paired with each other. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Comment

I tend to agree that the eastern teams would all play the first round. QF would include Adrian @ Stevens Point, Augsburg @ St. Norbert, and the 4 survivors from the first round. Now you have guaranteed two western teams for your western final four with no flights until the final four.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

One more time from the cheap seats...It doesn't matter if the four western teams go straight to the quarterfinals and those two teams aren't paired with each other. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.
                  If you're talking 2 QFs out west, you re correct. If the NCAA has one Western team going to the FFF then no.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Having 4 teams fight for 2 FF spots and the other 8 teams fight for the final 2 FF spots just seems odd to me...dang travel

Comment

I think you can have balance without compromising integrity.
                      The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                      "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                      "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                      9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                        I think you can have balance without compromising integrity.
                        Come up with a method that absolutely avoids having to fly a team in the first round or QF, and we're all ears. History tells us that trumps bracket integrity.

It's even worse on the women's side where Adrian seems to play Elmira every year because that's the only team in the tourney Adrian can bus to. They're both usually pretty high seeds and bracket integrity is busted before they even make the first hotel reservations.
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                          Having 4 teams fight for 2 FF spots and the other 8 teams fight for the final 2 FF spots just seems odd to me...dang travel
                          SNC has been a big beneficiary of this lately and it still doesn't feel right to me.
                          5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                          2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            Come up with a method that absolutely avoids having to fly a team in the first round or QF, and we're all ears. History tells us that trumps bracket integrity.

It's even worse on the women's side where Adrian seems to play Elmira every year because that's the only team in the tourney Adrian can bus to. They're both usually pretty high seeds and bracket integrity is busted before they even make the first hotel reservations.
                            St. Norbert is within 435 that would not kill the integrity that bad. 6 vs 7 and 1 vs 11 out West.

Adrian vs St. Norbert
                            Augsburg vs Steven Point
                            Mass Boston vs Salve Regina
                            Wesleyan vs Utica

So yes that will only leave 1 West school and a East FF.
                            Last edited by sacole13; 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM.
                            The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                            "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                            "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                            9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                              So yes that will only leave 1 West school and a East FF.
                              I don't disagree with you, but the rumors abound that a western final four is already a done deal. If that's the case, they will probably structure the tourney to ensure two western teams in the final four and that means the eastern teams (including the current #2, #3, #4, and #5 national seed) will have to play the first round.
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Working...
                              X