No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Dr. D, just so you know, in the second game last night, the anchor man on my team threw the first ball right in the pocket eleven straight times.

He wound up with three strikes and left the ten pin eight times.

I didn't tell him about the days when a pin boy could set the ten pin slightly off spot. He probably figures the automatic pinsetter sets it in a bad enough place already.

Comment

Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

short video

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Guessing the dime tip wasn't enough?
        In those days, a dime was worth something and especially to me since I really had very little. Some days i earned $10 which i felt was a fortune! Today $10 can buy you .....$1.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          Dr. D, just so you know, in the second game last night, the anchor man on my team threw the first ball right in the pocket eleven straight times.

He wound up with three strikes and left the ten pin eight times.

I didn't tell him about the days when a pin boy could set the ten pin slightly off spot. He probably figures the automatic pinsetter sets it in a bad enough place already.
          The automatic machines can be inconsistent and off with almost any pin. More important though is the oil pattern on the lane. I never thought I would know these things or even care but after attending several of these tournaments I have found it to be far more complicated than I ever realized.

Comment

I guess I was wrong about the thread title.
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
              I guess I was wrong about the thread title.

a
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Does anyone know who "Gord" is?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Gord Downie lead singer from the Tragically Hip. Today is his birthday. Passed away last year after battle with cancer.

Comment

There is another singer whose birthday is today... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Does anyone know who "Gord" is?
                      That's a great looking Helmet. Tragically Hip are hockey fans (suppose that's not saying much since they are Canadian).

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019 Part II: We're Just Gonna Complain, Don't Bother Reading

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        The automatic machines can be inconsistent and off with almost any pin. More important though is the oil pattern on the lane. I never thought I would know these things or even care but after attending several of these tournaments I have found it to be far more complicated than I ever realized.
                        I was a bowler. It's all about the oil actually... you're correct. Things change though. Did you realize that there is now a 2 handed bowling technique that is apparently the latest thing? I watched a guy doing it and all I could think was... they should make a rule that you have to use one hand. Gets you a lot of hook though.

I hardly ever bowl 10 pins anymore but do throw a few candlepin strings here in NE. It's the most frustrating game on earth. Worse than golf. The only fun thing about it getting someone who is a 10 pin hotshot to try and then watch them lose to your 10 year old daughter. It can be that hard... especially since a hook is good in 10 pin and pretty much bad in candlepins.

Final word on bowling... anyone here ever go to PEI and bowl there? They have a game called 5 pin there that is actually kind of fun. It's a sort of a mix of candlepins and duck pins. You get 3 balls per frame and the balls are similar to candlepin balls. The center pin is worth 5 points, the two next to it 3 each and the outermost two are worth two each. A perfect score is 450. Aside from the weirdness of the scoring and size of the pins (kind of a hybrid between other types), the pin setters on the lanes in Charlottetown PEI are unique too. There are only 5 pins on each alley and they are attached at the top via strings. If you get the pins moving around enough, they can become knotted together. It's a pretty interesting game that my daughters really liked.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The RPI Athletics Dept. has changed formatting in their webpages As is always the case with changes -- I don't like it.

It is much easier to reformat than improve the content and fix all the small errors. (E.g. for the latter -- Mississauga misspelled for Hayhurst, Bear's last team which should be the Brooks Bandits).
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-07-2019, 03:54 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                              I was a bowler. It's all about the oil actually... you're correct. Things change though. Did you realize that there is now a 2 handed bowling technique that is apparently the latest thing? I watched a guy doing it and all I could think was... they should make a rule that you have to use one hand. Gets you a lot of hook though.

I hardly ever bowl 10 pins anymore but do throw a few candlepin strings here in NE. It's the most frustrating game on earth. Worse than golf. The only fun thing about it getting someone who is a 10 pin hotshot to try and then watch them lose to your 10 year old daughter. It can be that hard... especially since a hook is good in 10 pin and pretty much bad in candlepins.

Final word on bowling... anyone here ever go to PEI and bowl there? They have a game called 5 pin there that is actually kind of fun. It's a sort of a mix of candlepins and duck pins. You get 3 balls per frame and the balls are similar to candlepin balls. The center pin is worth 5 points, the two next to it 3 each and the outermost two are worth two each. A perfect score is 450. Aside from the weirdness of the scoring and size of the pins (kind of a hybrid between other types), the pin setters on the lanes in Charlottetown PEI are unique too. There are only 5 pins on each alley and they are attached at the top via strings. If you get the pins moving around enough, they can become knotted together. It's a pretty interesting game that my daughters really liked.
                              JM: i have seen those two handed bowlers and i absolutely agree they need a rule preventing it. At first i thought it was only in very young kids who could not lift and hold a ball in one hand but no, even big kids and adults use the technique and get a monstrous curve (often in the backwards direction). When younger tried Candlepins (hated it but only because i just could not do it well) and Duckpins (despised that also). never heard of 5 pin but it certainly sounds interesting to try.
                              And you are also 100% right about the oil patterns. never knew this when younger but it indeed all ab out the oil. They have specific patterns they put down and announce them before any major tournament. Some are very favorable to left handers, some are better for those with straighter balls, and some are just miserable for everyone. In these major competitions the winners are usually the teams or the individuals who can figure out how to adapt what they throw to the patterns on their lanes.
                              Now back to hockey-Having been on an unprecedented hot streak for me, i will try to start the score thread tomorrow but if I do not get to it by 8AM, please, someone else start it and let's keep our non losing streak going!!

Comment

The topic of the original Tacoma Narrow Bridge came up on the RPI game thread at eLynah. I am sure that in freshman Physics we saw the video of the bridge falling down and it was mentioned that an RPI alum was responsible for the bridge. I haven't been able to find a name of someone connected to RPI associated with the bridge. Does anyone remember.

It's at least as on topic as bowling.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X