Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    If NU starts racking up the Beanpot titles I can guarantee you their student turnout would start to decrease over time. BC students used to bang it out too.
    Yeah, I think Harvard is the only school that never really filled their stands (well, I can't say never, but from my first one in 1987, they drew significantly less than the other 3 schools). Back in the days when it was hard to get a ticket, I used to call the Harvard ticket office. I'm sure I wasn't the only one...
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
      $9.75 for a hot dog. $11.95 for a beer. $50 to park. $45 for a lower ticket.

Compare the prices to regular season college games, that are also having problems filling the smaller buildings.

And you want to ask why attendance is down the last 4-5 years after decades of automatic sellouts?
      I suppose this will never happen but what if they used a different venue ? Tsongas would be a neutral site but a Boston venue is better like HAA or Mathews or even Conte but fans would still complain of home ice advantage for certain teams

Problem with Tsongas Center is that it is too far from Boston
      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
        I suppose this will never happen but what if they used a different venue ? Tsongas would be a neutral site but a Boston venue is better like HAA or Mathews or even Conte but fans would still complain of home ice advantage for certain teams

Problem with Tsongas Center is that it is too far from Boston
        It'd never move out of the city. Matthews is too small, Conte is a bad facility, Bright is WAY too small, and Agganis is probably not big enough. If there was a 10K arena in or very near the city that'd become an option.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          I think this one is the biggest culprit of all, the extraneous cost of going. $7 for a soda, $4 for a water bottle - with no water fountains anywhere in the facility - $8 for a hot dog, etc.
          I saw $10 for a hot dog and $16 for a cheesesteak and almost passed out. 16 bucks! I wouldn't pay that for a cheesesteak from one of the famous places in Philly. Thought I outsmarted the system and bought a medium Dunkin iced coffee for 4 bucks, cheaper than a water. It was literally the worst coffee I've ever had.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

It'd never move out of the city. Matthews is too small, Conte is a bad facility, Bright is WAY too small, and Agganis is probably not big enough. If there was a 10K arena in or very near the city that'd become an option.
            Spitballing here, but what if the first round was played at the home team's arena (there would obviously have to be a fair rotation every year) and the championship was played at the Garden? Would create better atmospheres for the semis and there might be more demand for tickets to the final from casual fans if only one date is at the Garden. Oh and get rid of the consolation game, wherever these games are played.
            Last edited by Thiessen'sBetter; 02-05-2019, 10:45 PM.
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Conte a bad facility? In what way?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Conte a bad facility? In what way?
                Cramped and very uncomfortable bench seating in the upper levels, for starters. Obstructed views in the four upper corners.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Cramped and very uncomfortable bench seating in the upper levels, for starters. Obstructed views in the four upper corners.
                  It didn't look like sell outs lately. You could move. Evidently I am missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    Evidently I am missing something?
                    Yep, reread.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Re: Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

heck, the lower level is built for bball. so flat you can't see in the other end due to benches/boxes/people.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                        I saw $10 for a hot dog and $16 for a cheesesteak and almost passed out. 16 bucks! I wouldn't pay that for a cheesesteak from one of the famous places in Philly. Thought I outsmarted the system and bought a medium Dunkin iced coffee for 4 bucks, cheaper than a water. It was literally the worst coffee I've ever had.
                        The extraneous costs are exactly why I chose not to go this year. Could I afford a beer for $13 and a hot dog for $10 on occasion? Sure, but just decided i'm not doing it on principle.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          It would be hard for it to be much worse than the 12K attendance last night.
                          Was Marty Walsh was ahead of the curve? Maybe they should move it to Belfast, after all.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Despite the dwindling attendance, any of the local teams arenas are too small. As someone mentioned below, if there were a 10-12K arena it might work and put the tickets in high demand again.

Here is the recent attendance history for opening night:

2006-2011: 17,565 (sellout)
                            2012: 16,005
                            2013: 17,565
                            2014: 14,776
                            2015: 14,520
                            2016: 14,832
                            2017: 15,299
                            2018: 13,576
                            2019: 12,413

As you might expect the championship game has fared better:

- 2014: Sellout
                            2015: 14,253
                            2016: 15,702
                            2017: 15,941
                            2018: 17,565 (sellout)

As always, I'm curious about where the attendance figures come from. As we have discussed before, if capacity is 17,565 it is unlikely that every single one of those tickets got used for every one of those games so there has to be some sort of fuzzy math when they are listing the 17,565 figure over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                              Oh and get rid of the consolation game
                              This can't and won't happen because the consolation teams use it to fill out their 34 games.

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
                                This can't and won't happen because the consolation teams use it to fill out their 34 games.
                                I'm pretty sure if they were given a few years notice that the consolation game was being eliminated they could easily find another game for future schedules. The consolation game positively blows.

Comment

Working...
                                X