Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

Originally posted by Tater View Post
    I’ve been saying for a few years now to hold the first round at two rotating campus sites. Each school hosts at home every other year. The second round is played at the Garden as it is now.
    A fun variation of this could be to have the four teams play on campus for the first round, but nobody is the home team. For example, this year the Harvard-BC game could've been at Matthews or Agganis; the BU-NU game could've been at Conte or Bright. It would keep the true neutral site intact, and it would be kind of cool to see the fanbases take over their rivals' barns for a night. You could probably guarantee a sell-out at each venue.

Then, there's some significant buildup to the Main Event at the Garden the following week, and any students from the winning teams who may have missed out on tickets for one of the smaller venue games may be more likely to make sure they get to the championship. On the flip side, we'd probably see more people wait to find out if their team will make the championship round, since a lot of folks currently buy the all-session pass without thinking too hard about it.

It's not a perfect system, but it's an idea to toss around, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Plus the husky faithful smuggle in their own concessions after punching out from burger king
      ..you would know. you're the hooker across the street trying to pry open everyone's wallet $$$
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Anyway, let's have some fun. Let's hold it at Bentley's new arena.. then all schools can riot for tickets outside.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          ..you would know. you're the hooker across the street trying to pry open everyone's wallet $$$
          High priced at that!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

How about a Friday night semifinals on campus and then the championship and consolation on Monday night at the Garden. The consolation would be bigger than now because it would be the chance to play in the Garden since the first night was on campus. Also people would be more willing to buy tickets up front for the finals since it is only one night to purchase.

Comment

Would I be going out on a limb if I predicted a low scoring championship game? Maybe 1-0 in OT?
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

You would only be going out on a limb if you were to predict that BC will actually score a goal

Comment

Follow-up to the last two posts: BC has been shutout seven times so far this season and has scored only one goal twice: NU, OTOH, has been shutout only twice so far but has scored only one goal six times.

Comment

The impending snoozefest will surely lead to greater fan interest!

Comment

For anyone out there who might be interested, Northeastern is conducting Beanpot watch parties in...

Austin TX, Clifton NJ, Naples FL. NYC, San Diego, San Francisco, WashDC, and West Palm Beach. www.alumni.northeastern.edu/events

AFAIK, you don't have to be an NU alum or have any connection to NU in order to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        Follow-up to the last two posts: BC has been shutout seven times so far this season and has scored only one goal twice: NU, OTOH, has been shutout only twice so far but has scored only one goal six times.
                        It's not just BC and NU that have scoring issues. Of nine games played this weekend:

--Five were shutouts
                        --Two of the winning teams scored only one goal
                        --Losing teams scored only six goals total

So I'm left to wonder if the real issue is lack of offensive skills or is HEA stacked top-to-bottom with shutdown goaltenders?

Comment

Guys, you've diagnosed the problem without realizing it. The product sucks. Sports is entertainment, and nobody is entertained by boring games where a 1-0 score in insurmountable because no player can score with any consistency. The value isn't equal to the cost.

Back 4 years ago, Jack Eichel was all the rage. Media outlets that didn't even know college hockey existed were covering the guy when he stepped on campus. Even me, Rover, was wrong when I thought I'd never see a better BU player than Drury. I held out for a couple of months, but it was evident the guy was out of sight. That creates a buzz. Had he been playing for BC, NU, or HU I wouldn't have liked it but come Beanpot time I'd be real tempted to pay the vig to Ticketbahstid in order to see him play. Gaudreau was another guy where you always had your eyes on the little jerk to see what spectacular play he was going to make.

Now? Who exactly is a can't miss seeing live player in HE? Don't tell me a goalie because that's not the same thing. If the game is boring, and in BU's case we're firing pucks in from the blue line in the hopes one bounces in off somebody's rear end, be it a BU player or the opponent, I'm supposed to shell out a hundred bucks a game (I have kids) for this???

Hockey went through this 20 years ago with the trap. Bouncy ball the same thing about 25 years ago with those godawful Knicks teams. People won't pay big bucks to be bored to tears. Either improve the product via better players in HE or lower the price.
                          Last edited by Rover; 02-10-2019, 10:58 AM.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            Who exactly is a can't miss seeing live player in HE?
                            Ryan Cloonan. College Hockey's Halley's Comet.

Comment

Apropos of nothing, sitting here with my dad watching Cash Cab on Game Show Network and one of the questions was about the Beanpot. Ha! Random.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Yeah, but that's only one factor. They have to consider the "cascading" effect that as attendance declines each year, it also diminishes the incentive to go. I don't want to pay that kind of money to go to a place that's 1/3 full with no atmosphere. So I don't really care about the sports marketing people. If nobody goes, the marketing won't matter (and more importantly, won't MAKE people go). Soon we'll be at the Rollerball (original movie with James Caan) level, where only corporate types attend, the playing area is surrounded by a moat or some other physical barrier, and the "common" person will only be able to watch on TV.

Point being, I think reducing the size of the venue is a LEGITIMATE discussion to have. And if you want to use the word "tradition," well, to me it has never been the same since it left the "old" Garden. (which I know is beating a dead horse, but to me, if I'm going to sit there bored I'm not going - at Hockey East last year three girls sat in front of me - they never ONCE even looked at the ice for five hours - they just talked, took selfies and kept their heads stuck in their phones - that's not an "atmosphere" that I want to attend a game in - where there is no excitement or enthusiasm). Put it in a smaller rink where the excitement is palpable. And for those who said it's "too small," tough. The Garden was "too small" also when the demand was greater than the supply. So create some demand.
                                I would think that if the semis would be held at neutral schools like BC / HU played at Mathews or HAA there would no problem with getting tickets as attendance has plummeted in general anyway and parking is a lot cheaper than at the TD Garden or adjoining lots around. $50 to park and high concession prices deter fans.

Harvard in general never has a big crowd at the Garden and even BC fans are less and less at home games at Conte. Lots of empty seats no matter what school attends and often people don't stay for both games.
                                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Working...
                                X