26th Alaska Governor's Cup - Decade Sweep Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26th Alaska Governor's Cup - Decade Sweep Edition

Two week's out - time for some hype. Nanooks can't score, and Seawolves can't stop their opponents from scoring. The boys in blue looked good in Bemidji last Saturday and had a great home series against BG. Huntsville's back-to-back home series against both of us might be the best measuring stick coming into one of the greatest rivalries in college hockey.

The Nanooks have won every Governor's cup since this year's UAA seniors were in the 7th grade. Some will cry "sanctions?!" - they matter just as much as the letters ASM in college basketball. This year, the Nanooks can claim the 2010-2019 decade for UAF and would be the 18th title out of the 26 total since the trophy began in 1994.

But both teams have new coaches, its a new year, the rivalry is renewed with some fresh life, and its the series both fanbases look forward to.
    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Re: 26th Alaska Governor's Cup - Decade Sweep Edition

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    Two week's out - time for some hype. Nanooks can't score, and Seawolves can't stop their opponents from scoring. The boys in blue looked good in Bemidji last Saturday and had a great home series against BG. Huntsville's back-to-back home series against both of us might be the best measuring stick coming into one of the greatest rivalries in college hockey.
    Seawolves can't score.

The Nanooks have won every Governor's cup since this year's UAA seniors were in the 7th grade. Some will cry "sanctions?!" - they matter just as much as the letters ASM in college basketball. This year, the Nanooks can claim the 2010-2019 decade for UAF and would be the 18th title out of the 26 total since the trophy began in 1994.
    Ahh yes, cheating is okay. Wouldn't expect anything less from a Fairbanks fan, you are a dumpster fire.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
      Ahh yes, cheating is okay. Wouldn't expect anything less from a Fairbanks fan, you are a dumpster fire.
      I realize it's boring material, but read the sanction docs for yourself and you'll see how obnoxious the NCAA is. I realized it happened against your rival, you're happy about it, whatever. But this isn't UNC creating bogus classes, Louisville hiring strippers, or Adidas funneling truckloads money to athletes to play at Miami. It's literally that the student-athlete changed their major, the school not filing the correct paperwork, and the student-athlete was taking and passing classes for the new degree program that wasn't recorded properly. That was all fixed after UAF hired an academic advisor for athletes, and self-reported the issue. Why the NCAA did what they did still dumbfounds me.

But UAF's School of Education is still accredited, so we have that going for us. Which is nice.

Comment

I realize it's boring material, but read the sanction docs for yourself and you'll see how obnoxious the NCAA is. I realized it happened against your rival, you're happy about it, whatever. But this isn't UNC creating bogus classes, Louisville hiring strippers, or Adidas funneling truckloads money to athletes to play at Miami. It's literally that the student-athlete changed their major, the school not filing the correct paperwork, and the student-athlete was taking and passing classes for the new degree program that wasn't recorded properly. That was all fixed after UAF hired an academic advisor for athletes, and self-reported the issue. Why the NCAA did what they did still dumbfounds me.

But UAF's School of Education is still accredited, so we have that going for us. Which is nice.
        Didn't I read that UAF was warned about this, numerous times in fact, before the hammer came down? Pretty sure I did. Nevertheless, I really could care less. UAA sucks. UA_ sucks, they just don't suck quite as much.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Didn't I read that UAF was warned about this, numerous times in fact, before the hammer came down?...
          Not at all. This was all self discovered and self reported after we had already found and mostly fixed the reporting issues. The only warnings communicated were within our own university departments/system thinking we had a problem. It wasn’t even certain we had a problem until UAF sought an interpretation of the rules.

UAF increased admission standards above NCAA requirements which threw most student athletes into a pending pre-major status until the institution could document that athletes meet their institution’s own increased admission requirements. Pre-major status does not qualify as “a regular degree seeking student” as required by the NCAA. That’s the paperwork we failed to file timely.

As to why they came down so hard?...the general rule is that when a big DI school with lots of legal resources gets caught cheating a small DII school somewhere gets slapped around. It helps them regain their sense of power. The NCAA is a joke.

As an aside, increasing our admission standards is the reason why UAA can recruit hockey players that wouldn't immediately be eligible to skate for UAF. So the bottom line is we might suck, but we suck less than UAA sucks, and both UAF and UAA suck less than the NCAA sucks.

Comment

Like all village schools everything is on the big curve so nobody has hurt feelings....
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

As to why they came down so hard?...the general rule is that when a big DI school with lots of legal resources gets caught cheating a small DII school somewhere gets slapped around. It helps them regain their sense of power. The NCAA is a joke.
              Oh..Now play up the little dumb *** village school who gets picked on because they can't read.
              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I can’t believe you guys fell for the obvious troll bait. No wait, I’m not surprised at all.

Here’s the breakdown: UAA is the worst team in college hockey. It UAF loses to the worst team in college hockey we’ll make fun of them. If UAF wins then whatever.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  I can’t believe you guys fell for the obvious troll bait. No wait, I’m not surprised at all.
                  Hook, line, and sinker
                  Originally posted by Jimjamesak
                  Here’s the breakdown: UAA is the worst team in college hockey. It UAF loses to the worst team in college hockey we’ll make fun of them. If UAF wins then whatever.
                  UAF is not much better, but seemingly coming together at the right time and making some strides in consistency. UAA was also bad last season, but we know how the last two games of the year went...

Comment

Not at all. This was all self discovered and self reported after we had already found and mostly fixed the reporting issues. The only warnings communicated were within our own university departments/system thinking we had a problem. It wasn’t even certain we had a problem until UAF sought an interpretation of the rules.

UAF increased admission standards above NCAA requirements which threw most student athletes into a pending pre-major status until the institution could document that athletes meet their institution’s own increased admission requirements. Pre-major status does not qualify as “a regular degree seeking student” as required by the NCAA. That’s the paperwork we failed to file timely.

As an aside, increasing our admission standards is the reason why UAA can recruit hockey players that wouldn't immediately be eligible to skate for UAF. So the bottom line is we might suck, but we suck less than UAA sucks, and both UAF and UAA suck less than the NCAA sucks.
                    https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...20151221_0.pdf

After reviewing the record, we do not find the penalties imposed in this case to be excessive as viewed in the context of the totality of the violations. In particular, the institution failed to act on information and internal notices provided, as early as 2008, regarding the lack of an adequate certification process.
                    This is what I was referring to.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      "Internal notices" in question were the notices sent between UAF's registrar's office and academic advising. Problem being, academic advising's primary procedure when a student changes their major is to change their program advisor, and worry about the major when you apply for graduation, which doesn't work for athletes. Problem was, Athletics didn't fill their own academic advising position due to budget, and UAF's central academic advising doesn't know the NCAA rules. Hence the problem.

If we had UAA's budget, none of it would have been an issue

Comment

Hook, line, and sinker
                        Tip of the cap good sir. Well executed.

UAF is not much better, but seemingly coming together at the right time and making some strides in consistency. UAA was also bad last season, but we know how the last two games of the year went...
                        I mean it is a rivalry (I think) so **** happens but last year UAA at least had Mantha, this year not so much.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

All of UAA and UAF's troubles are behind us now...I'm sure tonight's State-of-the-State address by Governor Dunleavy will reassure us one and all.

Comment

So UA_ is still to blame for ignorance.

So it's UA_'s own fault, lol smart decision. And, they forgot to cross their i's and dots their t's.
                            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Oh yeah, because there is soo much else to talk about.

Comment

Working...
                              X