Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine v New Hampshire

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    If anyone needs reminded I am here to help...
    https://youtu.be/as0zfdCYu0E
    Gee, thanks …

Seriously though, it's been awhile since I watched the '99 Final. This is a condensed version with most of the highlights and key moments, and probably a great reference point for those young'uns and newbies to the old border rivalry. Some random impressions and observations:

* UNH really needs to go back to those classic traditional block UNH sweaters. Souza, make it happen;
    * This was UMaine's first non-asterisk tainted NC ( * '93 - retroactive financial aid, etc.);
    * Umile looks younger, but so tense and wired, while Walshy looks cool as a cucumber but fired up;
    * I'd forgotten how many quality chances UNH generated in the first half of that game;
    * Both goalies made some great saves, but Conklin's rebound control cost him Goal #1 and the winner;
    * UMaine probably coasts to a win if the Kerluke goal stands (as it would under current and past rules);
    * A young Peter Metcalf was in the thick of this, and would be again (as C) in the '02 HE Final and FF;
    * Whatever happened to Niko Dimitrakos? What a terrific all-around player, came up huge in the clutch;
    * Souza blasts one inch(es) past the post just before the buzzer, after tying it up earlier in the 3rd;
    * John Sadowski came thisclose in OT to never ever having to buy his own meals/drinks for life in NH;
    * Walshy was not quite 44 years old and (despite his white/gray hair) almost 7 yrs. younger than Umile;
    * Walshy had just over two years left to live, before succumbing to kidney cancer two weeks after 9-11

It's definitely a much different world than the one this classic took place in, almost 20 years ago now. It's hard to describe the impact a guy like Walshy had on UMaine, Hockey East and D-1 hockey overall. For all his faults (and there were many), the guy (and his teams) provided high entertainment value, and were must-see TV. If someone out there has a link to the old TV commercial with Walshy and Umile hawking cars (Tri-City Dodge, maybe?), I'd love to see that one more time. Classic stuff.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Maines only chance at any points this weekend is Swayman. Get behind early and it won't be pretty
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Gee, thanks …

Seriously though, it's been awhile since I watched the '99 Final. This is a condensed version with most of the highlights and key moments, and probably a great reference point for those young'uns and newbies to the old border rivalry. Some random impressions and observations:

* UNH really needs to go back to those classic traditional block UNH sweaters. Souza, make it happen;
        * This was UMaine's first non-asterisk tainted NC ( * '93 - retroactive financial aid, etc.);
        * Umile looks younger, but so tense and wired, while Walshy looks cool as a cucumber but fired up;
        * I'd forgotten how many quality chances UNH generated in the first half of that game;
        * Both goalies made some great saves, but Conklin's rebound control cost him Goal #1 and the winner;
        * UMaine probably coasts to a win if the Kerluke goal stands (as it would under current and past rules);
        * A young Peter Metcalf was in the thick of this, and would be again (as C) in the '02 HE Final and FF;
        * Whatever happened to Niko Dimitrakos? What a terrific all-around player, came up huge in the clutch;
        * Souza blasts one inch(es) past the post just before the buzzer, after tying it up earlier in the 3rd;
        * John Sadowski came thisclose in OT to never ever having to buy his own meals/drinks for life in NH;
        * Walshy was not quite 44 years old and (despite his white/gray hair) almost 7 yrs. younger than Umile;
        * Walshy had just over two years left to live, before succumbing to kidney cancer two weeks after 9-11

It's definitely a much different world than the one this classic took place in, almost 20 years ago now. It's hard to describe the impact a guy like Walshy had on UMaine, Hockey East and D-1 hockey overall. For all his faults (and there were many), the guy (and his teams) provided high entertainment value, and were must-see TV. If someone out there has a link to the old TV commercial with Walshy and Umile hawking cars (Tri-City Dodge, maybe?), I'd love to see that one more time. Classic stuff.
        You are most welcome.

Comment

Gee, thanks …

Agreed! Also, just an observation (which IIRC is near and dear to your heart) whenever I watch these games from the past. Look at how SMALL the goalie pads are. This means the goalies have to be more athletic, since they can't possibly cover most of the net by just standing there (unlike some of the giants now).

Comment

Gee, thanks …

Good question about Niko Dimitrakos, so I researched. Played 158 games in NHL over four seasons (24g+39a=62pts) with Sharks (drafted him) and Flyers, then parts of eight seasons some in AHL, but mostly in Europe. During part of 2006-07 season, he played for the Chicago Wolves, where his old UNH adversaries Darren Haydar (1999 and 2002 FF) and Jason Krog (1999 FF) were stars. Sigh; dem were da days.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Agreed! Also, just an observation (which IIRC is near and dear to your heart) whenever I watch these games from the past. Look at how SMALL the goalie pads are. This means the goalies have to be more athletic, since they can't possibly cover most of the net by just standing there (unlike some of the giants now).
              Jeez Louise, both Ty and Alfie were stellar in that game. I'd almost forgotten how many times the latter saved the bacon for Maine against a deadly UHN squad, but now I recall eating Rolaids by the handful.

Comment

Found this but it's pretty much old news to most of you UNH/Maine fans...

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Maineâ€...hockey-rivalry

Let's go SouzaCats!!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Found this but it's pretty much old news to most of you UNH/Maine fans...

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Maineâ€...hockey-rivalry

Let's go SouzaCats!!!
                  Thanks. You are a great fan. But old times are what they are. Maine has sucked for so long. They need run hard this weekend. Both teams need run hard.

Comment

Gee, thanks …

Same thing happened in the NC game v. Denver shortly thereafter. Maine goal disallowed for an inconsequential heel in the crease, which was not at all a factor. Maine lost that one 1-0, and that still sticks in my craw.

Dimitrakos played for San Jose for a couple of years, IIRC, then went to Europe. I sat next to his extended family at a Maine/Merrimack game years ago, and chatted with his father or uncle. He stated at some point that "Nicky only plays when he has the puck.", and I couldn't disagree... But he sure was good when he had it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Same thing happened in the NC game v. Denver shortly thereafter. Maine goal disallowed for an inconsequential heel in the crease, which was not at all a factor. Maine lost that one 1-0, and that still sticks in my craw.

Dimitrakos played for San Jose for a couple of years, IIRC, then went to Europe. I sat next to his extended family at a Maine/Merrimack game years ago, and chatted with his father or uncle. He stated at some point that "Nicky only plays when he has the puck.", and I couldn't disagree... But he sure was good when he had it.
                      The final 90 seconds of 6 on 4 in that 2004 final at the Garden remains the most amazing hockey that I have ever seen. No question that Adam Berkhoel stood on his head in that one.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 01-27-2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Re: Maine v New Hampshire

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        I can't wait. I realize our programs aren't where they once were. If anyone needs reminded I am here to help...
                        https://youtu.be/as0zfdCYu0E
                        I still think this is the best/most exciting hockey game I've ever watched. Goal tending was spectacular on both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Yup. I was there. It SHOULD stick in your craw, because it's another example of taking the spirit of the rule out of context in favor of abiding by the "letter of the law." We were sitting behind the net. He probably had one inch of his skate inside the "crease" and it had ZERO effect on anything. It had no relevance regarding hindering the goalie from making the save. And not scoring on the 6 on 4 at the end just rubbed salt in the wound.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                            I still think this is the best/most exciting hockey game I've ever watched. Goal tending was spectacular on both ends.

...and I think that will be the difference this weekend; goal tending will be a huge factor...
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                              A classic for sure but Noeth was atrocious reffing that game!
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Yup. I was there. Not scoring on the 6 on 4 at the end just rubbed salt in the wound.
                                I was there too, sitting 8 rows up behind the goal Maine was shooting at those frenetic last 2 minutes. Don't forget that it was a 6 on 4 Maine advantage initially when a Denver player was called for tripping (?) at ~ the 18 minute mark (and Maine pulled J. Howard), but it soon morphed into a 6 on 3! for the last 90 seconds or so when Denver's Gabe Gauthier was whistled for delay of game (for gloving/grabbing the puck out of midair near the blue line and literally throwing it down the ice). It was a wild finish, Maine rang a few posts, but the Pioneers held on. A great Frozen Four Fantastic Finish memory for me (along with Bowling Green's 1984 4ot Championship win in Lake Placid, and BU's amazing comeback win vs. Miami in 2009), made all the better as a UNH fan that it was Maine on the losing end. Even 5 years later, 1999 still burned, so having Maine go down in such heart-breaking fashion for *its* fans (just two years after losing in ot to Minnesota at the "X") seemed nothing but a double-shot of cosmic retribution to me ...

Comment

Working...
                                X