Big Ten hockey/basketball at MSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten hockey/basketball at MSG

The Big 14 errr Big Ten has been putting on its Madison Square Garden day of men's basketball and hockey for a handful of years now. One interesting thing I have noticed is that hockey is always the 7 pm game and basketball at noon, which is surprising as it would be easy for basketball to "big time" hockey and get the prime time game.

Which got me thinking...is there any reason for this? Is it perhaps it is easier to take apart the basketball setup for hockey that it is to put it together? Or is hockey just getting the PM game because duh college hockey is awesome?
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Re: Big Ten hockey/basketball at MSG

My guess is that there is a bigger bouncyball tv audience in the afternoon than hockey would get. They'd probably get more at 7PM too. But maybe not as big a disparity?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
      The Big 14 errr Big Ten has been putting on its Madison Square Garden day of men's basketball and hockey for a handful of years now. One interesting thing I have noticed is that hockey is always the 7 pm game and basketball at noon, which is surprising as it would be easy for basketball to "big time" hockey and get the prime time game.

Which got me thinking...is there any reason for this? Is it perhaps it is easier to take apart the basketball setup for hockey that it is to put it together? Or is hockey just getting the PM game because duh college hockey is awesome?
      Based on what I've been seeing, it's probably easier to take it apart. There are plenty of time-lapse videos on Youtube that show the process, and give an idea as to how long it takes. Here's an article from the Detroit Free Press about the process, and the crew lead admits it's easier to pick up the court than it is to put it down: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ena/731386001/

Let's also remember that a hockey game is longer than a basketball game, despite all the stoppages that would make you think otherwise, along with the OT procedure (they keep going with 5 minute OTs until the score isn't tied at the end of a period).

Comment

Just bumping this thread to say wow Michigan is horrific.
        CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Working...
        X