X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2018-2019: Souza the Opportunity or Louza the Opportunity

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    From your lips to God's ear, my friend. ...as far as off the ice is concerned … you give us AOC?!?
    Yes...embarrassing...

Comment

With five games left, three with NU and two with Lowell it will be tough to salvage wins. Three of the five are at home so that does provide me with some hope. I'm thinking we go 2-2-1 during this stretch and pick up five points in the standings for a total of 24 points. With a game in hand versus Maine it's a good bet we overtake them in the standings avoiding a quarterfinal against NEWMASS. We'll see what happens though.
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        With five games left, three with NU and two with Lowell it will be tough to salvage wins. Three of the five are at home so that does provide me with some hope. I'm thinking we go 2-2-1 during this stretch and pick up five points in the standings for a total of 24 points. With a game in hand versus Maine it's a good bet we overtake them in the standings avoiding a quarterfinal against NEWMASS. We'll see what happens though.
        Naturally with no UNH hockey this weekend I watched a few games online (including an exciting high school game) and echo your sentiments. NU is going to be tough; Tyler Madden is one heck of a forward along with Filipe and of course, their goaltender Primeau. And of course, UML won't be thrilled about being swept by PC so there's that. Yeah, it's a challenge, and like you it would be great to avoid the UMass first round (for me, it's the trek there; anyone we draw will be tough). I'm still going to be thrilled that we even make the tournament, and will see what we do. This team has exceeded the expectations of most but aren't done yet...not by a long shot.

I think your projection is 2-2-1 is more than fair. Heard there are injury concerns out there that will also have an effect on the team so I hope this bye week those who needed the rest got it. We've got to see scoring from a few of the players who have been 'silent' in the last few games and continued stellar performances by Mike Robinson (not that I would expect anything less) every night from here on in. Hey we've come this far-Let's Goooo 'Cats!!

Ps...In case you have nothing to do today at 1:00 NESN is showing a '35th HE Anniversary show' featuring former UNH coach Dick Umile, former BU coach Jack Parker, as well as former Norwich University coach/UNH phenom Mike McShane! More on his illustrious career:

https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...20180614y5n3yb
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-17-2019, 10:20 AM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Question: Why are we concerned about avoiding a QF playoff match-up with a program that's got virtually the same recent postseason pedigree as UNH (i.e. nil)?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Question: Why are we concerned about avoiding a QF playoff match-up with a program that's got virtually the same recent postseason pedigree as UNH (i.e. nil)?

Chuck you have said yourself on more than one occasion that none of our current skaters have played “meaningful game” in the post season so I assume you are using this logic with UMass? While that is true I’m not so sure that’s going to pan out for these Minutemen.

Unless they completely come unglued (and it can happen!!) I don’t think they will find those uncharted waters a problem...at least in the early going. They have more than able talent on hand and more than that (or as important as that) able coaching. I think Greg Carvel has enough post season experiences to prepare his team...

That said...our ‘Cats will have nothing to lose and that can make a team dangerous....and that’s what I’m counting on!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

This:

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              UML is on a tear, playing some great hockey. Their Juniors and Seniors were on the team that lost to Notre Dame in the Manchester regionals in 2017 so they know what deep post season play is about. They are not giving up many goals while we have improved, but are still offensively challenged.

UMA is 12 - 1 at home (loss to UML), will be tough to beat twice in Amherst. The Garden will be a different story.

UNH is likely finishing 7th or 8th, playing one of the MA state schools in round one. Selfishly, I hope we travel to Lowell. Tsongas is close to Manch and a fun place to watch a game.
              UML has since lost twice. UMA continues to prevail at home. If recent post seasons matter, we will travel to Providence.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Chuck you have said yourself on more than one occasion that none of our current skaters have played “meaningful game” in the post season so I assume you are using this logic with UMass? While that is true I’m not so sure that’s going to pan out for these Minutemen.

Unless they completely come unglued (and it can happen!!) I don’t think they will find those uncharted waters a problem...at least in the early going. They have more than able talent on hand and more than that (or as important as that) able coaching. I think Greg Carvel has enough post season experiences to prepare his team...

That said...our ‘Cats will have nothing to lose and that can make a team dangerous....and that’s what I’m counting on!!
                Maybe we can slip some Goo Gone into their water bottles?

Comment

Not to intentionally interrupt your regularly-scheduled broadcast of UNH Mens hockey playoff aspirations, but does anyone else find it amusing that a college hockey player with the last name of "Vulgar" would find herself suspended for on-ice infractions?

https://www.uscho.com/2019/02/16/cha...e-infractions/
                  UNH

Comment

I guess if I had my druthers I'd rather play Lowell just because more UNH fans could make the trek there. Don't get me wrong, Lowell will be just as formidable despite the fact they just dropped two to Providence.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Not to intentionally interrupt your regularly-scheduled broadcast of UNH Mens hockey playoff aspirations, but does anyone else find it amusing that a college hockey player with the last name of "Vulgar" would find herself suspended for on-ice infractions?

https://www.uscho.com/2019/02/16/cha...e-infractions/
                      "In Vuglar’s case, the call on the ice was tripping, but the action warranted a slew-footing major and a game misconduct."

Bad trips warrant vulgarity?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        This:

UML has since lost twice. UMA continues to prevail at home. If recent post seasons matter, we will travel to Providence.
                        Yep I’d agree with that...

Comment

On one hand. No idea. On the other hand...

* 23-6-0 / 15-4-0 HE / T-1st PWR
                          * 2-0-0 (5-1 & 4-2) vs UNH
                          * 110 GF (+30 v. UNH), 61 GA (-13 v. UNH)
                          * 31% PP (UNH, 20%),
                          * Team +/- of + 34 (UNH +4)
                          * 10-4-0 vs top-8 HE (UNH, 2-6-4)
                          * 8-5-0 vs top-25 PWR (UNH, 0-3-3)
                          * 13-1-1 w/ 1.67 GA at Home (UNH, 3-6-6 w/ 2.46 GF Away)
                          * Six points clear of 2nd-Place UML/PC already (w/ UC, PC, MC, ME, UC remaining)
                          * Likely Hobey Baker Award winner
                          * Top-4 scorers in HE Play

---

UMass is clearly the best team in HE this season, a virtual lock (with three weekends remaining) to not just win the HE regular season, but to win by a large margin, and very likely to win 30 or more games this season.

They may lose in the one-off HE final four because that's the nature of one-off hockey or they may lose in the NCAAs against other elite teams - it won't be a reflection of their shortcomings, discredit their accomplishments or diminish how far they've come as a program...

They're the best team, lethal at home and drawing 8000+ sell-outs currently. Someone will be going in to Mullins to lose in the QFs. That would be a horrendous draw for UNH. UNH would stack up FAR better against BC, BU or PC. We'll learn in the next couple of weeks if UML and NU are also bad draws - but UMass is a given...
                          Last edited by Dan; 02-17-2019, 01:44 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Coach Souza has had more postseason "experiences" as a player than Coach Carvel has had as a coach.

Just sayin' …

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              On one hand. No idea. On the other hand...

* 23-6-0 / 15-4-0 HE / T-1st PWR
                              * 2-0-0 (5-1 & 4-2) vs UNH
                              * 110 GF (+30 v. UNH), 61 GA (-13 v. UNH)
                              * 31% PP (UNH, 20%),
                              * Team +/- of + 34 (UNH +4)
                              * 10-4-0 vs top-8 HE (UNH, 2-6-4)
                              * 8-5-0 vs top-25 PWR (UNH, 0-3-3)
                              * 13-1-1 w/ 1.67 GA at Home (UNH, 3-6-6 w/ 2.46 GF Away)
                              * Six points clear of 2nd-Place UML/PC already (w/ UC, PC, MC, ME, UC remaining)
                              * Likely Hobey Baker Award winner
                              * Top-4 scorers in HE Play

---

UMass is clearly the best team in HE this season, a virtual lock (with three weekends remaining) to not just win the HE regular season, but to win by a large margin, and very likely to win 30 or more games this season.

They may lose in the one-off HE final four because that's the nature of one-off hockey or they may lose in the NCAAs against other elite teams - it won't be a reflection of their shortcomings, discredit their accomplishments or diminish how far they've come as a program...

They're the best team, lethal at home and drawing 8000+ sell-outs currently. Someone will be going in to Mullins to lose in the QFs. That would be a horrendous draw for UNH. UNH would stack up FAR better against BC, BU or PC. We'll learn in the next couple of weeks if UML and NU are also bad draws - but UMass is a given...
                              I don't necessarily disagree, Dan … but we don't have to think too hard to remember back when UNH was swimming high in uncharted waters, and it didn't always work out too well. There is no institutional experience in their program at this point, so unless their talent is overwhelming - and I saw them eke out a last second win over a mediocre BC at home the other night, so that's a possibility - I think we're overrating their postseason prospects just a little bit. I like the looks of both Providence and Lowell on that basis alone.

Comment

Ps...In case you have nothing to do today at 1:00 NESN is showing a '35th HE Anniversary show' featuring former UNH coach Dick Umile, former BU coach Jack Parker, as well as former Norwich University coach/UNH phenom Mike McShane! More on his illustrious career:

https://www.norwichathletics.com/spo...20180614y5n3yb
                                Thanks for the heads up! I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Some tremendous memories! Best line of the show from Umile: "Shawn always had great teams up there. I won't go into any details..."

Comment

Working...
                                X