Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    I'm not even sure it is recoverable. Get the perfect coach in, make some deep tourney runs, and I don't know that 5,000 people start walking through that door again. People are a whole lot more busy than they were 30 years ago.
    I'm pretty sure it is recoverable. Leamen kicks butt each season and they can't get a good home crowd. Give us Leamen and the stands would be packed before he even coaches 10 games.

Comment

I'm not even sure it is recoverable. Get the perfect coach in, make some deep tourney runs, and I don't know that 5,000 people start walking through that door again. People are a whole lot more busy than they were 30 years ago.
      its cold and dark in Orono during hockey season, they would go to see an exciting team.
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Sounds like that ridiculous thing Larry Lucchino sent out in 2012 about the friendly Mike Avilas and the cheerful Cody Ross. No thanks.
        No, sorry pal, it’s not about friendly this or cheerful that. It’s about accomplishments, failures and expectations for a legit D1 program that struggled 1st half of the season.
        What kind of a post was that...you’re capable of better BoSox.

Happy New Year to all here!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          That is a bit beyond reasonable. Give Timmay a team not set up and he will bury it.

I'd be in favor of a legit search and paying a premium for a young and promising coach. The AD said his work is cut out for him and he has to come up with outside the box ideas for financing things.
          I wasn't saying that a TW is the answer, but he sure recruited better than Red does, at least at the high end of the talent spectrum.

I agree that Maine needs to dig deep on the coaching search, and I agree that it needs to look for a young coach who can better relate to the kids both on the recruiting trail and in the locker room. Maine could get a guy like that on the cheap, too, if only for a few years, a la football. Might prove to be the only feasible game-plan for hockey, and for Maine sports in general.

Comment

There are certainly many more competing entertainment options than existed back in the Walsh Era, granted.

Still, I believe that Maine hockey would be a hot ticket again if there was something to see there. Greater Bangor ain't Paris by any means, and people love to see a winner... That's a perfect storm for the right coach to get those behinds back in the seats.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-31-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              its cold and dark in Orono during hockey season, they would go to see an exciting team.
              I think so too. The ticket prices are fairly ridiculous now as well, and that's another issue.

Win first, and worry about the rest after the fact. Winning cures everything.

Comment

It won't happen over night....and to get better you need to have someone behind the bench that will take this program as his program and know that it will take 2-3 years to retool/rebuild and almost 5 years to see what's in place after a full 4 year recruiting cycle. Never will be the same but there needs to big time changes...start winning/playing for something and being the only game in town will "start" the process of bringing in new season ticket holders/ single game viewers....won't see crowds of 5k anymore but if you can get at or over 4k then your on the road to changing the attitude about the program....but first its another tear down and someone that's motivated on goals for the program/team on the ice and not talking and making excuses and endless spinning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  I wasn't saying that a TW is the answer, but he sure recruited better than Red does, at least at the high end of the talent spectrum.

I agree that Maine needs to dig deep on the coaching search, and I agree that it needs to look for a young coach who can better relate to the kids both on the recruiting trail and in the locker room. Maine could get a guy like that on the cheap, too, if only for a few years, a la football. Might prove to be the only feasible game-plan for hockey, and for Maine sports in general.
                  Football might not be an exactly fair comparison, and what I mean by that is football at Maine will never be a top of the line job, it will inevitably always be just a stepping stone to greater heights. Hockey at Maine has the potential to be a top of the line coaching gig like I'm sure it used to be just because it's a smaller sport, and it's a program in an (allegedly) top conference with history behind it. But I agree in general, a young gun behind the bench is probably the best solution to try and resurrect the program to where it would be respectable enough to return to being a top of the line destination. Although, what we saw out of Maine from roughly 1990-2007 is probably out of reach these days, at least for that extended of a period.
                  Last edited by amkirby10; 12-31-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    Football might not be an exactly fair comparison, and what I mean by that is football at Maine will never be a top of the line job, it will inevitably always be just a stepping stone to greater heights. Hockey at Maine has the potential to be a top of the line coaching gig like I'm sure it used to be just because it's a smaller sport, and it's a program in an (allegedly) top conference with history behind it. But I agree in general, a young gun behind the bench is probably the best solution to try and resurrect the program to where it would be respectable enough to return to being a top of the line destination. Although, what we saw out of Maine from roughly 1990-2007 is probably out of reach these days, at least for that extended of a period.
                    Agree with most of what you said, and our shared point is that the Maine hockey job has been reduced to an attractive stepping-stone position for the right candidate, but I'm hopeful it won't turn into another put-out-to-pasture deal as Red has. It'll be a challenge to do that successfully, but it might work here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Agree with most of what you said, and our shared point is that the Maine hockey job has been reduced to an attractive stepping-stone position for the right candidate, but I'm hopeful it won't turn into another put-out-to-pasture deal as Red has. It'll be a challenge to do that successfully, but it might work here and there.
                      Then stop with the I love Timmy thing. Didn't work, never will. Nor your knowledge of recruits. I am as mad as you are, but please...

Comment

All this talk about a coaching change, getting a big gun etc is dreaming right now. Im resigned to two more years after this one of RG. The school is just going to let him retire it out. If you hear what RG says this year he has already started to scale back. Probably a good chance the next coach is a young coach, or one of the current coaches. Might work or not, in which case maybe we have to have more turnover than what the fans are used to. The program is absolutely ripe for the right leadership, and yes it could bounce back to fill the alfond regularly, folks around here still like hockey.

Its all too bad how we got here, really, but looking forward to seeing what happens and better hockey to come.

Happy new year all. Keep it between the ditches.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                          All this talk about a coaching change, getting a big gun etc is dreaming right now. Im resigned to two more years after this one of RG. The school is just going to let him retire it out. If you hear what RG says this year he has already started to scale back. Probably a good chance the next coach is a young coach, or one of the current coaches. Might work or not, in which case maybe we have to have more turnover than what the fans are used to. The program is absolutely ripe for the right leadership, and yes it could bounce back to fill the alfond regularly, folks around here still like hockey.

Its all too bad how we got here, really, but looking forward to seeing what happens and better hockey to come.

"IF" the season continues like it started and now going into the 2nd half he should RESIGN at the end of this season come March...period.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                            No, sorry pal, it’s not about friendly this or cheerful that. It’s about accomplishments, failures and expectations for a legit D1 program that struggled 1st half of the season.
                            What kind of a post was that...you’re capable of better BoSox.

Happy New Year to all here!
                            The post was about how BU has some foolish season ticket holder letter that reminds me of this thing https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-red-sox/lucchinos-maddening-letter-season-ticket-holders

“Pal”

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Keep in between the ditches. Ha, that is lovable on certain levels. Lets give red a heave ho to his britches in the ditches.

Comment

Only thing we have going for us boys... and as sucky we got it... Pats have a bye week! 🤣

Comment

Working...
                                X