Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Pete Thamel is reporting Coach H is leaving for freaking Minnesota assistant spot. That sucks if true. Like thats the best he could do? Id be fine leaving for a DC role at a top 30 program. Minnesota?!? ***

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      Pete Thamel is reporting Coach H is leaving for freaking Minnesota assistant spot. That sucks if true. Like thats the best he could do? Id be fine leaving for a DC role at a top 30 program. Minnesota?!? ***
      It says a couple of things, to me:

1. The pay scale at Maine is really that horrible.
      2. Harasymiak was very skeptical about the resources being put into the football program, to the point that there was concern that this year's success was replicable.

Comment

https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...e-7ba2200cff5a

Well, ****-a-diddle.

Comment

I guess Minnesota’s DC is the guy who was Coz’s DC when Joe was hired, which makes it make a little more sense, loyalty and the coaching tree being what it is.

Still Id imagine an FCS head coach wouldnt usually take a job below coordinator when they leave.....

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

That's a crushing blow to a program that we all thought had a lot of promise about 2 days ago.

Comment

If you read Ken Ralphs comments it is apparent he fully expected JH to go, maybe he discussed it openly with JH. JH has a future and ambitions for his career. Staying here in fcs as a head coach for ten years just wasnt what he wanted, apparently. This level of fcs was simply a stepping stone. Cant blame in.

In a way it is positive in that it shows umaine sports can achieve with a good coach.

Well back to hockey!!😁
              Last edited by NorthMike; 12-20-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Couldnt get out of Orono quick enough. Not shocking that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Looks like Minnesota owes Maine $153K. I doubt Coach H. is paying for the buyout. Perhaps either he or his family didn't like all that went with being a head coach? Being an assistant at Minnesota isn't exactly a big step up in my mind. He is probably getting much more money and less responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Looks like Minnesota owes Maine $153K. I doubt Coach H. is paying for the buyout. Perhaps either he or his family didn't like all that went with being a head coach? Being an assistant at Minnesota isn't exactly a big step up in my mind. He is probably getting much more money and less responsibility.
                    I really doubt that. I think his goal is to be a Power 5 head coach. He seems to think that will happen more quickly going this route, and he is probably right. He can parlay this into a Defensive Coordinator job in a couple years, then maybe move to another big school, then he is a heartbeat away from a head coaching position.

Kansas State fans almost burned down their campus after hiring North Dakota State's head coach because they didn't think it was appropriate to hire a guy straight from FCS. And that is the head coach of the dominant program at the level! Other FCS head coaches left for jobs at East Carolina and Charlotte. Not exactly jobs that are springboards to Power 5 jobs. Those are jobs that you get fired from.

However, successful Power 5 assistants got jobs like App State, Temple, Ohio State, Maryland, and Colorado. Those are jobs you can win at (or be decent at).

My guess? The money was nice, and it was clear that good FBS programs were more willing to hire an FBS assistant and not a FCS head coach.

Comment

It was fun while it lasted.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        I really doubt that. I think his goal is to be a Power 5 head coach. He seems to think that will happen more quickly going this route, and he is probably right. He can parlay this into a Defensive Coordinator job in a couple years, then maybe move to another big school, then he is a heartbeat away from a head coaching position.

Kansas State fans almost burned down their campus after hiring North Dakota State's head coach because they didn't think it was appropriate to hire a guy straight from FCS. And that is the head coach of the dominant program at the level! Other FCS head coaches left for jobs at East Carolina and Charlotte. Not exactly jobs that are springboards to Power 5 jobs. Those are jobs that you get fired from.

However, successful Power 5 assistants got jobs like App State, Temple, Ohio State, Maryland, and Colorado. Those are jobs you can win at (or be decent at).

My guess? The money was nice, and it was clear that good FBS programs were more willing to hire an FBS assistant and not a FCS head coach.
                        I agree completely, and there's a wealth of empirical evidence to support what you say. Another FCS job (JMU) wouldn't be a meaningful career advancement, and a 3rd-rate FBS job (UMass) could turn into a detriment to his future.

Something else to consider: Minnesota is a big school with a shiny new stadium and excellent overall facilities. Gopher football isn't a juggernaut, but it's a decent B10 program that sends kids to The Show. The Twin Cities are clean, fun and safe (by big-city standards). I've been there dozens of times and could easily live there. I'm sure that he and his family will like it: just about everybody else does.

Sorry to see him go, but it's a solid career-move. I wish him well.

Now, the task at hand is to execute a thorough search for another ambitious and capable up-and-comer cut from the same cloth. The cupboard at Maine is far from empty and it looks to be an attractive situation for a younger man looking to make his mark, even if he views the job as a stepping-stone... (And that's what the job is, in essence.)
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

How soon do we start making a wish list for the new coach

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Ralph was interviewed on the news tonight. He already has comprised a small search committee and has received around 40 inquiries from prospective candidates. He didn't rule out in house candidates. The defensive coordinator (guy with the beard), apparently won't be one of them as he is leaving also.

Comment

Down payment on Reds early buy out!

Comment

Rumor has it he will make 200k.

Comment

Working...
                                X