Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Theyre 0-4-1 vs no 1 or no 2 since the win in 2012 which was a home sweep of no 2 BU. Red has never played a Hockey East team ranked No 1 or No 2 and is 0-2-1 (Union and Quinnipiac).

Theyve played the No 3 team a crap ton and top 5 a lot but where UMass is No 2 I looked at top 2 only out of curiosity.
    Make that 0-6-1 after this weekend.
    . Swayman hasn't played well enough lately to stand on his head and eek out a win. Maybe a tie?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      . Swayman hasn't played well enough lately to stand on his head and eek out a win. Maybe a tie?
      Fore! Looking at schedule and other team's schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I do realize that the D in front of him is sub-par, but he hasn't looked special this year. Save % is 0.911, tied for 36th in D-1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          I do realize that the D in front of him is sub-par, but he hasn't looked special this year. Save % is 0.911, tied for 36th in D-1.
          Graph of his save % after World Jrs last year looks like Enron stock. Hard not be to at least a little concerned at this point

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Graph of his save % after World Jrs last year looks like Enron stock. Hard not be to at least a little concerned at this point
            The more concerning part for me is some of the individual goals. He’s gotten beat from way out a few times this year and you have to wonder if maybe the focus isn’t always there.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              The more concerning part for me is some of the individual goals. He’s gotten beat from way out a few times this year and you have to wonder if maybe the focus isn’t always there.
              The same performance malaise the whole team is experiencing? I wonder if he and other players will leave after the season to more fertile ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                The same performance malaise the whole team is experiencing? I wonder if he and other players will leave after the season to more fertile ground.
                I havent watched enough to really know if its him or the garbage defense but you have to think if the Bruins are concerned he’s gone. At some point Zane McIntire will be moving on so I’m guessing that Providence might have an opening

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  I havent watched enough to really know if its him or the garbage defense but you have to think if the Bruins are concerned he’s gone. At some point Zane McIntire will be moving on so I’m guessing that Providence might have an opening
                  He can only do so much with the way the defense has performed in front of him...well there not in front as they [d-man] allow the opposing team a free reign in front of the net and on both sides...plus he see's plenty of rubber each and every game...he's a good goaltender that after a while will tend to wilt under a poorly played defense in front of him, plus the forwards find it hard to block shots and make the passing lanes harder to get through...its on him/ > yes to a degree but look at the total team defense and you can see why they have a losing record and OH YA that guy behind the BENCH is in charge and he should be held accountable big time.....and lets hope the AD has his eye's wide open...oh I know he'll do nothing because of the high cost of a 2 year buy-out...but then maybe Gendron looks into the mirror after the season and comes to the conclusion that it's time to end the misery and RESIGN. He won't...he's on his RETIREMENT TOUR. Enough of my rant [again] … and the worst part is I don't feel any better as Maine is playing awful hockey to this point....later.

Comment

I believe it was Drew who said it before, but after watching every game this year I don't think the primary problem on this team is the defense, its the forwards. I think the defense generally does a decent job at keeping chances to the outside and limiting good break-ins by the other team; they arent so good at stopping the cross-ice one-timers and shots from the point that then create rebounds, and get beat sometimes, and allow a high raw total of shots, but I don't think they have been playing that badly, especially lately. The problem has been the forwards and their passing, which has been absolutely awful. They either have the puck clang off their sticks and roll away, or they constantly keep trying no-look passes like they did on Monday. Regardless, it creates tons of turnovers in the neutral zone and in the high slot of their own zone, and this is what kills them. And also, forwards never seem to be crashing the net to hunt for rebounds, and they constantly bunch up. It's frustrating to watch, because its fundamentals they are failing to execute, and if they fixed these simple things, I bet results would improve dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                      I believe it was Drew who said it before, but after watching every game this year I don't think the primary problem on this team is the defense, its the forwards. I think the defense generally does a decent job at keeping chances to the outside and limiting good break-ins by the other team; they arent so good at stopping the cross-ice one-timers and shots from the point that then create rebounds, and get beat sometimes, and allow a high raw total of shots, but I don't think they have been playing that badly, especially lately. The problem has been the forwards and their passing, which has been absolutely awful. They either have the puck clang off their sticks and roll away, or they constantly keep trying no-look passes like they did on Monday. Regardless, it creates tons of turnovers in the neutral zone and in the high slot of their own zone, and this is what kills them. And also, forwards never seem to be crashing the net to hunt for rebounds, and they constantly bunch up. It's frustrating to watch, because its fundamentals they are failing to execute, and if they fixed these simple things, I bet results would improve dramatically.
                      You can say that each year...they just don't get it. They are what they are...mostly 3rd/4th liners with an exception of maybe two players that should be on the 2nd line...depth players most of them, that can't finish plays....shooting wide/high and having the puck roll off there stick on breakaways.

Comment

Maine is 45th in GPG (3.05 ) and 38th in GPGA (amazingly, exactly 3.05 on that side of the ledger, too.) And to salt the wound, with a 28th SOS... Nearly a perfect storm of utter mediocrity.

This team isn't talented. It's is stocked with 3rd-4th liners, as Ma#1ne said. It's gonna take a Timmy-style purge to even be in the Natrional conversation for the next few years, and that's assuming a new regime, which is highly unlikely pursuant to Maine's insane extention of RG.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-24-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Maine is 45th in GPG (3.05 ) and 38th in GPGA (amazingly, exactly 3.05 on that side of the ledger, too.) And to salt the wound, with a 28th SOS... Nearly a perfect storm of utter mediocrity.

This team isn't talented. It's is stocked with 3rd-4th liners, as Ma#1ne said. It's gonna take a Timmy-style purge to even be in the Natrional conversation for the next few years, and that's assuming a new regime, which is highly unlikely pursuant to Maine's insane extention of RG.
                          You can be bad. You can be boring. You can't be both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

My question is why’d they score more last year? They had 4 dbl digit goal scoers coming back (Tralmarks Fossier Doherty Robbins) and only Doherty may hit that this year. And we’re talking 10 goals not 20, which quite honestly isnt a high bar to set.

Were they lucky with shooting last year? Is there something different in their cycling ir forecheck thats bad?

I mean Fossier was the leading goal man last year and has 1 freakin goal this close to February

. So is it the players talent? Or the crap system? Or (probably) both.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I think it's only natural that focus would be a factor. Think about it...if you played at the level of the World Jrs and then had to come back to "this," how would you react? It's very difficult for these players (even the ones that don't play in a tournament such as that) to keep their minds from straying toward thoughts of the pros. To a large extent, I feel as though all of these early departures have damaged the college game. Now, I know that sounds selfish, because many will say we have no right to "deprive" them of achieving whatever their maximum potential will allow. Nevertheless, it's frustrating because it's a no-win situation. If they're great, they won't stay long, and if they do stay, they seem to have one foot out the door so you don't get the maximum out of them.

Being a BU fan, I have noticed this exact thing in several players that returned from national or world tournaments and often appeared to be "elsewhere" in their minds. The saving grace in that case, however, was that we almost always make the post-season and these players seem to step up and become more engaged once the games get bigger. When the HE playoffs roll around, I would expect a heightened level of intensity and focus from Swayman.

Comment

While Maine is lacking talent, everyone keep an eye on #16 Cale Makar for UMass. Kid's legit and he was drafted 4th overall in 2017. Probably the best college player I've seen since Gaudreau. Hell of a skater.

Comment

Working...
                                X