Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
    Friendly Maine fans, I'll be coming to visit your arena for the weekend of games against UMass (1/25, 1/26). I seek seating advice. My last (and only) time visiting Alfond (in 2008) I sat in the visitors' section, which was underneath the stands behind the goal. Since I couldn't see much of the game from those seats because the glass was scratched up and dirty, I am trying to find better seats this time. Since I'm coming all the way from Tucson AZ for this (via DC, where I'll be on business the week before the games) I figured I'd get seats in advance.

I'm considering either sections BB/CC or the opposite side NN/MM. Where would I get *less* flak for wearing a UMass sweater? I'm coming with two friends, both from UMass...
    I'd pick section O. You have a good view of the net UMA shoots at twice and the seats have backs. They are at the cheapest price point as well.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I'd pick section O. You have a good view of the net UMA shoots at twice and the seats have backs. They are at the cheapest price point as well.
      C'mon Drew, can't we set him in balcony for a real experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
        Friendly Maine fans, I'll be coming to visit your arena for the weekend of games against UMass (1/25, 1/26). I seek seating advice. My last (and only) time visiting Alfond (in 2008) I sat in the visitors' section, which was underneath the stands behind the goal. Since I couldn't see much of the game from those seats because the glass was scratched up and dirty, I am trying to find better seats this time. Since I'm coming all the way from Tucson AZ for this (via DC, where I'll be on business the week before the games) I figured I'd get seats in advance.

I'm considering either sections BB/CC or the opposite side NN/MM. Where would I get *less* flak for wearing a UMass sweater? I'm coming with two friends, both from UMass...
        I usually go oo, nn, or mm. Section o is good but site down ice is not great since you have to look through penalty boxes. Section aa, bb, cc is ok as well.

Lately, you can pretty much sit where you want once you get in.

I wouldnt worry about the flak, most folks are pretty good unless you start yelling insults or spilling stuff on us.

Comment

Go Pats!

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Are they? Because his best results were with the previous admin’s players.

I saw that first year and said OK Red can do this. Then the second year was a step back and I said thats weird. Its been nothing but garbage ever since.

So even if a new guy gets an artificial bounce in Year 1, I’m not falling for that trick again.
            Clearly.

Red inherited Ben Hutton, Devin Shore, Blaine Byron, Martin Ouellette and Cam Brown, among others. A much better nucleus than Red has ever recruited, and he couldn't even win much with that crew.

When I hear guys on here tout his own recruits, I shake my head... This team isn't awful but has zero high-end talent. And the fact that Red couldn't do much with the talent that fell in his lap way back when speaks for itself.

Obviously, Red can neither coach nor recruit. Case closed.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-13-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              Go Pats!
              That was a fun game, makes that crap loss in miami loom large. Should be in Gillette next Sunday. It reminds me of the year Pats had to go to Denver and Denver ended up winning it all with a rubber armed Peyton. KC has a good QB but not the D Denver had. Be interesting to see what happens with Belicheck and a rookie QB and of course KCs coach.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post

Thank-you for supporting Maine Hockey! Opposing fans are all we got left.

Comment

I can't recall the last time I posted on this site about Maine Hockey. I always knew once my frustration turned to apathy that like many others it would be a turning point in how I follow, or elect not to follow, my alma mater's hockey team. However after last year I went into this season with hope. Finally Maine Hockey would be relevant again! I would tune in to games on the internet, I would look forward to reading Larry's reports, and maybe just maybe we'd experience a Black Bear sighting at the Garden and in the NC$$ tournament!

It did not take long for me to realize that instead of a building block, what we saw last year was a mirage. I now find out about Maine hockey scores from comments made by people who knew of my passion in the past. Living in NH I was certain the fortunes of Maine Hockey and UNH would be trending very differently with Maine heading to the top and the "Mildcats" to the cellar where we had dwelled for too long. Today I went to the Hockey East webpage and we are trailing UNH! And UMASS is 1st with a second year coach and a rich history of Jonathan Quick and nothing else! I love hockey, I love college hockey, but I have zero desire to watch Maine hockey play when it is abundantly clear that the fans deserve a better product, and the players deserve better leadership. Coach Gendron has a tremendous history as a recruiter, but it has not transcended as a Head Coach at Maine.

I'd like to start caring about Maine hockey again. The time is once again upon us to find someone who can lead Maine back to relevance!

Comment

[QUOTE=BobF;6747031]I can't recall the last time I posted on this site about Maine Hockey."

I have not posted here about hockey in four or five years-- my most recent post was about football, of course. I was one of the holdouts on Whitehead until his last year. Not sure why. I have been down on Red since game two or three of his second season when the team played very lackadaisy -- the team had no fire 200 minutes into a new season. He has recruited a lot of 2d and 3rd liners (some of whom aren't bad and would create incredible depth on a better squad) but he has steadily recruited stiffs on defense who have size but no mobility-- he got lucky with Swayman, so you got to give him credit for that) but there is no skater with as much ability as Swayman has in the net.

Bad penalties, inconsistent work ethic, players sick of being yelled at (I had a coach in juniors that would never teach, just yell at people who screwed up-- his favorite line "toughen up" so I say that to my kids when they spill water or something, "toughen up") Red was at one time an amazing recruiter and great teacher- he is mentioned in Paul Kariya's Hall of Fame induction speech for a reason, right? But as a head man, I think we have seen what he is going to do.

We need to roll the dice on a young person, and if it doesn't work, fire him after three years and get another. The program is what needs re-booting and it won't happen til the right guy is in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                      I can't recall the last time I posted on this site about Maine Hockey. I always knew once my frustration turned to apathy that like many others it would be a turning point in how I follow, or elect not to follow, my alma mater's hockey team. However after last year I went into this season with hope. Finally Maine Hockey would be relevant again! I would tune in to games on the internet, I would look forward to reading Larry's reports, and maybe just maybe we'd experience a Black Bear sighting at the Garden and in the NC$$ tournament!

It did not take long for me to realize that instead of a building block, what we saw last year was a mirage. I now find out about Maine hockey scores from comments made by people who knew of my passion in the past. Living in NH I was certain the fortunes of Maine Hockey and UNH would be trending very differently with Maine heading to the top and the "Mildcats" to the cellar where we had dwelled for too long. Today I went to the Hockey East webpage and we are trailing UNH! And UMASS is 1st with a second year coach and a rich history of Jonathan Quick and nothing else! I love hockey, I love college hockey, but I have zero desire to watch Maine hockey play when it is abundantly clear that the fans deserve a better product, and the players deserve better leadership. Coach Gendron has a tremendous history as a recruiter, but it has not transcended as a Head Coach at Maine.

I'd like to start caring about Maine hockey again. The time is once again upon us to find someone who can lead Maine back to relevance!
                      Glad that you posted and many/many feel the same way....

Comment

[QUOTE=maineblackbear;6747102]
                        Originally posted by BobF View Post
                        I can't recall the last time I posted on this site about Maine Hockey."

I have not posted here about hockey in four or five years-- my most recent post was about football, of course. I was one of the holdouts on Whitehead until his last year. Not sure why. I have been down on Red since game two or three of his second season when the team played very lackadaisy -- the team had no fire 200 minutes into a new season. He has recruited a lot of 2d and 3rd liners (some of whom aren't bad and would create incredible depth on a better squad) but he has steadily recruited stiffs on defense who have size but no mobility-- he got lucky with Swayman, so you got to give him credit for that) but there is no skater with as much ability as Swayman has in the net.

Bad penalties, inconsistent work ethic, players sick of being yelled at (I had a coach in juniors that would never teach, just yell at people who screwed up-- his favorite line "toughen up" so I say that to my kids when they spill water or something, "toughen up") Red was at one time an amazing recruiter and great teacher- he is mentioned in Paul Kariya's Hall of Fame induction speech for a reason, right? But as a head man, I think we have seen what he is going to do.

We need to roll the dice on a young person, and if it doesn't work, fire him after three years and get another. The program is what needs re-booting and it won't happen til the right guy is in charge.
                        Frustrating is the word....

Comment

Devin Shore traded by Dallas to Anaheim.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Devin Shore traded by Dallas to Anaheim.
                            I saw that, pretty even trade. Shore for Cogliano, veteran third liner to a probable playoff team for a younger third liner to a team on their way to collapse. I'm glad to see Shore carving out an NHL career for himself but I don't see him ever getting more than 50 points in a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mac910 View Post
                              I saw that, pretty even trade. Shore for Cogliano, veteran third liner to a probable playoff team for a younger third liner to a team on their way to collapse. I'm glad to see Shore carving out an NHL career for himself but I don't see him ever getting more than 50 points in a season.
                              JR doing the Bruins wrap up on NBCSN. Just said Anaheim has lost 11 in a row. Good luck Devin. Could be a long couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post

You shouldn't get any flak. Shawn Walsh was adamant that the Alfond crowd should make opposing players uncomfortable but treat their fans with respect. "Anyone willing to travel all the way to Orono to support college hockey is to be appreciated."

If I buy a UMaine hockey player so much as a hamburger it's an NCAA violation so I can only imagine what the NCAA will do to Clemson after yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X