Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Just checked the depth chart for giggles..... Maines only losing 2 starters on offense and 3 on D with the entire line plus Patterson back?

I ammend my previous statement its playoffs or bust
    Plus they will bring in recruits, this season plus being in the playoffs should be a boost in some ways to recruiting.

Comment

Just checked the depth chart for giggles..... Maines only losing 2 starters on offense and 3 on D with the entire line plus Patterson back?

I ammend my previous statement its playoffs or bust
      Yeah, agree.

The schedule is somewhat more favorable, too.

https://goblackbears.com/news/2018/1...-schedule.aspx

They'll face Josh Mack at Liberty -which will be an opportunity to show him the error of his ways- and there's two games right in my backyard. The Warden and I are pretty stoked.

Edit: Joe heaps more fame and glory on Blue.

https://goblackbears.com/news/2018/1...-the-year.aspx
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-18-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Man, I've been the "UMaine athletics is broke, so lower your expectations" guy for like a decade now, but jeesh:

All quotes from this BDN article: https://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/...rative-offers/

Harasymiak is the lowest-paid head coach in the Colonial Athletic Association at $153,000 per year. He signed a four-year contract in December 2015 that extends through June 30, 2020.
        The position at JMU, which with UMaine competes in the CAA, has a base salary of $425,000.
        According to a source at one CAA institution, the average guaranteed income for a head coach in the 11-team league is $360,000 per year. After Harasymiak, the next lowest-paid coach is Rhode Island’s Jim Fleming who, in his fifth season, earns $191,000 per year but can earn an extra $55,000 in bonuses. UMaine is one of only two schools in the conference that does not offer bonuses to its coaches, the source said.
        Ralph said money to fund a significant pay increase for Harasymiak would have to come from private donors because the UMaine athletics budget is tight. “[Donor money] is really the only option we have, but the problem is how do we sustain it year after year?” Ralph said. “We’re pretty resource-strapped. There’s not much we can do within our budgetary framework.”
        Ralph said UMaine athletics is hamstrung in part by the fact the university does not have an annual athletics fee assessed to all students, as is the case at most other CAA schools.

For example, William & Mary students pay an annual athletic fee of $1,439.50, while James Madison students pay $1,400. New Hampshire has an athletics fee of $1,075 and Towson’s is $956, while Albany ($600) and Stony Brook ($557) charge smaller amounts.
        On the one hand, good for UMaine for not charging the rank and file student body an athletics fee. Those are garbage. On the other hand, man we are one broke-*** school.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Man, I've been the "UMaine athletics is broke, so lower your expectations" guy for like a decade now, but jeesh:

All quotes from this BDN article: https://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/...rative-offers/

On the one hand, good for UMaine for not charging the rank and file student body an athletics fee. Those are garbage. On the other hand, man we are one broke-*** school.
          You get what you pay for.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

In fairness they hired Joe at age 29 or whatever it was, he’s basically on his “rookie deal” like when say Pastrnak was making less than freakin Jimmy Hayes. Coz’s last deal was around 185-200k, i think, so the idea they cant fund a raise for Joe is pretty dubious.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

For example, William & Mary students pay an annual athletic fee of $1,439.50, while James Madison students pay $1,400. New Hampshire has an athletics fee of $1,075 and Towson’s is $956, while Albany ($600) and Stony Brook ($557) charge smaller amounts.

I wouldn’t be pleased funding athletics to this extent through my kids tuition bill by a mandatory fee. Even though Div 1 athletics does bring a positive element to the school environment for sure.

I dont think saying UMaine is $ broke is a fair statement. Its not a rich school but a good middle class one, nothing wrong with that. They try and do a good job bringing a good education and college experience to the students for a reasonable price. (Maybe the school has too much student drinking going on but thats another matter). In doing so the funding of athletics and projects has to come from a bigger pool of resources. Raising tuition to hire coaches is a dicey proposition. When coaches are making more that the school President or the Professors where does it end? After all the Univ sports are also recreational for the area non Univ people who will need to help pay for the sports.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 12-19-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                I wouldn’t be pleased funding athletics to this extent through my kids tuition bill by a mandatory fee. Even though Div 1 athletics does bring a positive element to the school environment for sure.

I dont think saying UMaine is $ broke is a fair statement. Its not a rich school but a good middle class one, nothing wrong with that. They try and do a good job bringing a good education and college experience to the students for a reasonable price. (Maybe the school has too much student drinking going on but thats another matter). In doing so the funding of athletics and projects has to come from a bigger pool of resources. Raising tuition to hire coaches is a dicey proposition. When coaches are making more that the school President or the Professors where does it end? After all the Univ sports are also recreational for the area non Univ people who will need to help pay for the sports.
                Oh I agree completely. I guess I should have been more specific that the athletics department is broke.

Comment

Well, I don't have kids so I haven't had to pay tuition in a while. And as far as I can remember, the only "fee" we paid was a "student activities fee" (admittedly I didn't really know what that went to). So I would say, yeah, why should the students pay a "fee" so that other students (don't know about Maine or FCS in general), most of whom are already on scholarship, can get a free education and play sports also?

On the other hand, it's sort of a chicken and egg scenario. The "big" schools have no trouble funding it because they win. I'm sure there is plenty of money, for example, in the Ohio State "slush fund" so that Meyer can go out and do anything he wants. The problem is, that doesn't happen until you win. Was it like this ("tight" budget) when Walshy was there and Maine was winning?

Comment

I dont know, I mean give students a choice between an athletic fee buried on page 17 of their ridiculous tuition breakdown or paying for tickets to games and most will say tuck it in with my loans. Is it stil free up there? All students can use the gym that gets built partly by athletic fees. There are benefits its not all just making Screech pay Slaters scholarship

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I dont know, I mean give students a choice between an athletic fee buried on page 17 of their ridiculous tuition breakdown or paying for tickets to games and most will say tuck it in with my loans. Is it stil free up there? All students can use the gym that gets built partly by athletic fees. There are benefits its not all just making Screech pay Slaters scholarship
                      I mean, right now we just have to present our student ID and we get a ticket into the game. I'm sure the "cost" for this is in a fee somewhere, but theres no money at the door for any sporting event (except the Portland game, we have to pay to go to that)

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                        I mean, right now we just have to present our student ID and we get a ticket into the game. I'm sure the "cost" for this is in a fee somewhere, but theres no money at the door for any sporting event (except the Portland game, we have to pay to go to that)
                        Well, like for hockey only the balcony is for students, free. If the rest of the seats are sold students dont get in. So free is limited for students. But no worries things dont get sold out!

Comment

A fee is included in the bill for the rec center. Get em in the gym to work off some of that youthfulness!!!

Comment

I'm a bit surprised by the disparity. Joe is gone for sure if he can double or triple his salary elsewhere, and who can blame him? I hope that he sticks around for at least one more season, though. 153K isn't chump-change for a 32 YO, and, you never know, he and his family might like Maine enough to take a home-town discount for a bit longer.

Back in the Stone Age when I was at Maine, there was a student sports-pass for like $50 that was an optional expenditure. It got you into every RS game of any sport. That was as close as we got back then to financing athletics in any expressed manner.

Still, the important thing to consider re: annual athletics fees levied elsewhere is the bottom-line: total tuition expense. The respective schools can parse that however they please, but if the bills are equivalent at the end of the day, it's a wash for the kids who don't want to assume any more debt than they need to, carved-out allocations or not.

Which brings us back to the chicken/egg thing, tangentially... Would Maine be better off spending more on a Harasymiak in the hope that his (possibly-ongoing) success would turn a profit in the net? I don't even know how much revenue -or debt- this PS run by football has entailed.

(Maybe someone can help me out on that one, AMC. )
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-19-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              I'm a bit surprised by the disparity. Joe is gone for sure if he can double or triple his salary elsewhere, and who can blame him? I hope that he sticks around for at least one more season, though. 153K isn't chump-change for a 32 YO, and, you never know, he and his family might like Maine enough to take a home-town discount for a bit longer.

Back in the Stone Age when I was at Maine, there was a student sports-pass for like $50 that was an optional expenditure. It got you into every RS game of any sport. That was as close as we got back then to financing athletics in any expressed manner.

Still, the important thing to consider re: annual athletics fees levied elsewhere is the bottom-line: total tuition expense. The respective schools can parse that however they please, but if the bills are equivalent at the end of the day, it's a wash for the kids who don't want to assume any more debt than they need to, carved-out allocations or not.

Which brings us back to the chicken/egg thing, tangentially... Would Maine be better off spending more on a Harasymiak in the hope that his (possibly-ongoing) success would turn a profit in the net? I don't even know how much revenue -or debt- this PS run by football has entailed.

(Maybe someone can help me out on that one, AMC. )
                              The ‘athletic fee’ is just a billing/accounting gimmick. Part of being the flagship university for the state should be having a respectable athletic department. It’s high time the school/state recognizes this and acts accordingly.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Ralph said UMaine athletics is hamstrung in part by the fact the university does not have an annual athletics fee assessed to all students, as is the case at most other CAA schools.
                                This statement implies that the short fall in money is due to the fact that students are not paying an athletic department fee. Sounds to me like he is lobbying for a fee. While that may be an easy way to generate money, I'm not convinced that is the proper way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X