Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    So 250-171-60 is a 605 winning percentage and by no definition a “middling” record just as a point of information.

8 or 9 of the 12 teams in this league would murder for that over 12 years.

Don’t really want to quibble. In Hockey East history there have been 39 coaches and granted some certainly should be ranked incomplete. I guess everyone would have their own criteria to rank coaches. Eliminate 3 newbies, 12 top, 12 middle and 12 bottom. If you just weigh records without backstory I’ll give you a rank of 10 11 or 12 all time forbWhirhead, a little backstory about school support, what he inherited, how he left program I’d say he was 14th best in league history.

Those numbers were his Maine numbers. His UML was 76-95-11, He had only 5 years there which says something to me and never got home ice. Eliminate his 1st 3 Maine teams he’s 167-141-49. I get it you have to consider those years but if tragedy hadn’t struck those wouldn’t have been his teams to coach. It wasn’t like he was a new face breathing life into the team—it’s a lucky guy given a Porsche to drive. Berry won national championship his first year and No Dak is one of the premier teams as it becomes more his team success is harder to come by. I would wonder if NoDak fans are believing him more middling now. Bennett too at Union certainly had his championship questioned especially in light of Leaman snagging it the following year. All things considered Bennett has been above average in his 8 years there but He has work to do to cement his legacy there is a bit of up and downs

As far most killing for that record maybe but would Whitehead be the guy to do it at their school. Obviously Maine says no they fired him he was trending down, Clearly BC and BU have done it with their guys. UNH got that record for 27 years from Umilie. UML clearly saw enough of Whitehead and would laugh at a trade for what Bazin has done. If 8-9 years from now Carvel has UMass winning consistently even if his record isn’t ..605 I’d prefer what he did as more impressive. Madigan’s record over 8 years is trending up and if it continues on that level he probably produces close to a 605 at a school with no such track record as compared to Maine where ithat record was a step down. Leaman has better then a .605 winning record at PC and that includes, like Carvel appears to be doing, inheriting a 3 year cellar dweller to drag down his record. So 3 teams might murder for what Whitehead has done and quite frankly Whitehead given same circumstances would be hard pressed to match what Dennehy did in his Merrimack term—see his UML record as proof

I don’t have a guy to make this work perfectly but say Walsh was unable to continue coaching just as the ‘01 season ends and steps down. Say he’s still able to give input for a replacement if you’d like. Whitehead is available obviously. It’s April. Maine does not go with an interim coach instead they do a national search. Based on info you have in April 2001 do you hire Tim Whitehead in that scenario?
    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
      You're asking the right questions. Maine can afford to go one of two ways with its coaches:

1. Young up and comers who are willing to take less salary in order to get a head coaching job. This can work really well in the short term: the Harasymiak model. The downside is, when it works, the coaches leave and move up. When it doesn't work, you get basketball coach Walsh who had some really bad years.

Was Walsh still the assistant at Providence the year you spent there or had he gone up the street by then. That was a big jump from D3 RIC to Maine. I know b-ball wise Maine isn’t on the top of the coaches food chain but there still a lot of food chain between Maine and RIC. Did James hire him? If he did sounds like an old boy hire. James was athletic department fundraiser when Walsh was assistant

Anyone blame you on your transfer back from bringing the bad juju at Providence at that time with you?

Anyway if I was your AD this is what I’d do

Basic assumptions: your AD is fairly new and not necessarily a hockey guy, at least to point he can comfortable make a quick choice. That if it’s not underway already he’s beefing up hockey fundraising since you need funds to get right guy. That based on another answer there is a realization the salary must be better. I’ll peg it I want to commit 300-350K.

Immediate steps. Have a two tier plan to determine Red’s end date. It begins with getting him on board with ending this. First I consider after this season if fundraising allows me 400K over 2 years and the raise for the new coach, Red is willing to earn part of his salary as a coach as an administrator (with a chance to keep job at true position pay beyond 2 years till ready to retire). I feel I need to act immediately if UVM sacks Sneedon and potentially they scoop the guy I want. To get up to speed myself and make an informed choice I might give Redvanother year especially if finances dictate but he can’t be a lame duck. That being the case I begin my list. I put a couple of true stretch guys I gets feelers out to see if possible. Time is soon running out before Rick Bennet gets to the age i as an AD he might prefer if moving to a more turn key program even if that is limited as neither he nor the BU fan base seemed enamored by that possibility (another words he might only have the opening to replace Leaman again and that might be time dated. However his salary seems to open the discussion for each opening. My second stretch guy is Keefe. I suspect he too would stretch my budget beyond breaking point but his track record of recruiting and work on helping NU reach new heights. His new contract might be an obstacle as well as a desire to wait it out for Madigan to finish his new contract, see if he can get the BC job as an NU fan suggested or even be there to swoop in if his alma mater’s job opens up as Providence is turn key too. Simultaeously I reach out to Maine hockey alumnus for input, names, possibly entry to names that might be thought to be beyond means. The poster who suggested Swallow is absolutely right. His name is on short list immediately. Young successful and 6 years experience puts him in my pay range. I had seen that when I went to look up the Salve Regina coach in that leaguebwhoblooks to be an up and comer, maybe just too inexperienced at this point. However as with any D3 guy I want to carefully review how solid that record is. Many D3 leagues have too many cupcakes to inflate record. I want some guys on my short list with D1 assistant experience who’ll interview whose answer minimally tell me if a younger D3 coach has answers that suggest he’s ready for a large jumped. You mention Bob Walsh I believe he hit 20 wins at RIC like 8 straight years but failed at Maine, might suggest he wasn’t ready at the time he was hired. I want to ferret that out. My hockey East short list preferably includes UMass a Ben Barr, Norwich HC, recent top UML guy Cam Ellsworth and PC Kris Mayotte. I’d hope the lure of top job, proving something and go get em attitude outweights salary deficiency. I’d look for 3-4 more guys from D3, USHL (Anthony Noreen at Tri City and Luke Strand at Sioux City intrigue me—however USHL guys tend to be western oriented but a Maine AD should know how successful a certain USHL coach was in NCAA and want to cover his bases, finally I’d look carefully to Eastern Canada for Candidates. Maine might be uniquely located to attract them with the added advantage of building a ready made niche forbrecruiting. There might be added issues of language and new immigration laws (believe a Clarkson assistant had to leave due to that)

As AMC noted my preference too would be the young up and comer just need to do due diligence if I was hiring. The above trends that way
      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

“Middling” is false. Thats all there is to it.

You postulate what I wouldve done in 2001, which was not the original premise. A D1 AD would absolutely look at a guy with 326 career wins, 80 cames over 500 at Maine, and find him qualified for his opening if TW so chose. Your original point that an AD would not and that Tw is “middling” is perposterous.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Sue Tyler blew it by not having a national search. Said it back then and I'll say it now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Dont clear the zone, lazy play CC up 1 in front of 12 fans or so

Comment

Pearson ties it on nice play

Comment

2 1 CC now

Comment

Binner just awful for most of the period. Maine had chances but this team can't finish.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    “Middling” is false. Thats all there is to it.

You postulate what I wouldve done in 2001, which was not the original premise. A D1 AD would absolutely look at a guy with 326 career wins, 80 cames over 500 at Maine, and find him qualified for his opening if TW so chose. Your original point that an AD would not and that Tw is “middling” is perposterous.
                    I still think what sunk TW was the ghastly recruiting class of Sill, Czuba and Dekastrossa (sp?). It was shockingly bad by that era's Maine standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      I still think what sunk TW was the ghastly recruiting class of Sill, Czuba and Dekastrossa (sp?). It was shockingly bad by that era's Maine standards.
                      What sunk him was Scott Darling and missing the NCAAs with 3 years of Gus Nyquist. Thats just absurd to get that kid to stay that long and not make the tournament.

They couldve done better in 2001. By 2013 it was time for TW to go. He also was a much better than average coach who enjoyed success and should be in the Maine Hall of Fame someday. All of these things can be true at the same time.

And the fact that we’re STILL talking about him 6 years later just shows how phuckin bad the team is now

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Pearson has turned himself into a pretty good player. If Maine had 4-5 more of him, they might be 9-5 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          What sunk him was Scott Darling and missing the NCAAs with 3 years of Gus Nyquist. Thats just absurd to get that kid to stay that long and not make the tournament.
                          That too. And I think I forgot to mention Marrone.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-02-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

The more I see Reds team the more you guys are convincing me to miss the TW era. Crazy!!

Great goal by Doherty by the way.

Whats the atttendance, less than 1000?

Comment

Blind hogs find the occasional acorn... But Maine is playing hard in the O end, and this is a fun game to watch.

Comment

4 2 Maine after 2

Comment

Working...
                                X