MA hockey embarrassing moments at state tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA hockey embarrassing moments at state tourney

Rough weekend for refs/coaches/players at u16 tier 1 state tourney. Wondering how MA hockey and USA hockey respond to this weekends embarrassing show.

Saturday: Really bad call in shootout. Shot went off post/off goalie's back and into net....was called no goal. A review of USA hockey rules clarifies situation. Should have been goal

Referee call of no goal, results in head coach throwing whiteboard and water bottle onto the ice nearly hitting people on ice. Coach given a game misconduct and not allowed at semi final game.

However he was in locker room and in rink (fan side) attempting to coach. No sign of MA hockey officials

Upon team losing the game, eliminating them from an automatic national bid, he went on the ice, and yelled at his players. One of his players started cross checking opponent players, screaming bloody murder. She exited the ice without shaking any hands. (D1 commit)

Worst display of sportsmanship I have ever seen in 30 years of coaching youth or girls hockey.

Very possible this team ( currently ranked #2 in country) still gets a bid to nationals....wonder how MA hockey/USA hockey respond
    Last edited by MAHOCKEY FAN; 11-25-2018, 06:34 PM.

Re: MA hockey embarrassing moments at state tourney

I was at that game.

I think the ref was saying the puck had stopped after hitting the goalie, then was kicked in.

With all of that said, how can Massachusetts possibly recommend that team to Nationals?

in the semifinals there were multiple players from the Breakers throwing punches and cross checking Eagles players during the last couple minutes of the game.

The refs lost complete control of that game.

On a better note, the other side of that bracket had a great game between the Wizards and Assabet. Two programs that have had some battles in the past.

Wizards won it 1-0 but it really could have gone either way.

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
      Rough weekend for refs/coaches/players at u16 tier 1 state tourney. Wondering how MA hockey and USA hockey respond to this weekends embarrassing show.

Saturday: Really bad call in shootout. Shot went off post/off goalie's back and into net....was called no goal. A review of USA hockey rules clarifies situation. Should have been goal

Referee call of no goal, results in head coach throwing whiteboard and water bottle onto the ice nearly hitting people on ice. Coach given a game misconduct and not allowed at semi final game.

However he was in locker room and in rink (fan side) attempting to coach. No sign of MA hockey officials

Upon team losing the game, eliminating them from an automatic national bid, he went on the ice, and yelled at his players. One of his players started cross checking opponent players, screaming bloody murder. She exited the ice without shaking any hands. (D1 commit)

Worst display of sportsmanship I have ever seen in 30 years of coaching youth or girls hockey.

Very possible this team ( currently ranked #2 in country) still gets a bid to nationals....wonder how MA hockey/USA hockey respond
      That's appalling..... I've seen some bad stuff over the years, but never saw an ejected coach step on the ice after a game ended (I've coached, I've been ejected - not proud but it was over a player safety issue, but it never occurred to me to enter the ice surface after the game). That sounds like a one year suspension for sure if someone registers a complaint with USA Hockey. Must have been Shaunessy? Guy racked up a couple of thousand penalty minutes in college, the NHL, and minors in the 80/90s so maybe not such a surprise.
      Last edited by HockeyEast33; 12-05-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        That's appalling..... I've seen some bad stuff over the years, but never saw an ejected coach step on the ice after a game ended (I've coached, I've been ejected - not proud but it was over a player safety issue, but it never occurred to me to enter the ice surface after the game). That sounds like a one year suspension for sure if someone registers a complaint with USA Hockey. Must have been Shaunessy? Guy racked up a couple of thousand penalty minutes in college, the NHL, and minors in the 80/90s so maybe not such a surprise.
        Breakers were always a little rough around the edges but have never seen what is described here. Ive met shaunessy... not as much of a @#$#% as Ole Assabet Carl. Now there's a real nut job.

Comment

A big tourney in MA over the weekend. anyone hear of any followup? any extended suspensions?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat View Post
            Breakers were always a little rough around the edges but have never seen what is described here. Ive met shaunessy... not as much of a @#$#% as Ole Assabet Carl. Now there's a real nut job.
            It's also quite sad that it's nut jobs like him that all too often are somehow the driving force behind youth hockey programs across the country. Something about being an "eccentric character" who is constantly in the rink leading these programs that these nut jobs have in common. Is it more frequent to see these type of bozos in our game compared to boys hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by mahockey fan View Post
              worst display of sportsmanship i have ever seen in 30 years of coaching youth or girls hockey.
              Remember folks - sports builds character!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                And AAA youth teams drain bank accounts.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  That's not true. Sports reveals character. More specifically adversity in sports and in life reveals character......and more importantly shows one's true colors!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    That's not true. Sports reveals character. More specifically adversity in sports and in life reveals character......and more importantly shows one's true colors!
                    Who knew that all that time and energy in parenting and self development that people invest in is crap when character was there all along and just needed to be revealed? Glad someone is finally setting the record straight.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

What the heck happened??
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        Who knew that all that time and energy in parenting and self development that people invest in is crap when character was there all along and just needed to be revealed? Glad someone is finally setting the record straight.
                        Quote Investigator: The earliest strong match located by QI (Quote Investigator) was published in January 1974 in the “Ames Daily Tribune” of Ames, Iowa. Heywood Hale Broun who was described as an “off-beat sports commentator for CBS television” had recently visited the city and delivered a speech. This is an excerpt from that newspaper article:

Some persons say that athletics, and coaches, build character. Broun has a different outlook.

“Anybody who teaches a skill, which coaches do, is admirable. But sport doesn’t build character. Character is built pretty much by the time you’re six or seven. Sports reveals character. Sports heightens your perceptions. Let that be enough.”

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          Quote Investigator: The earliest strong match located by QI (Quote Investigator) was published in January 1974 in the “Ames Daily Tribune” of Ames, Iowa. Heywood Hale Broun who was described as an “off-beat sports commentator for CBS television” had recently visited the city and delivered a speech. This is an excerpt from that newspaper article:

Some persons say that athletics, and coaches, build character. Broun has a different outlook.

“Anybody who teaches a skill, which coaches do, is admirable. But sport doesn’t build character. Character is built pretty much by the time you’re six or seven. Sports reveals character. Sports heightens your perceptions. Let that be enough.”
                          Of course, the most famous phrase attributed to Heywood Hale Broun is, "Timex Watches, they take a licking and keep on ticking." I didn't realize he also had an interest in character.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                            Of course, the most famous phrase attributed to Heywood Hale Broun is, "Timex Watches, they take a licking and keep on ticking." I didn't realize he also had an interest in character.
                            The things you can learn on this forum...

You could almost say this forum builds character...
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                              Apparently the newspaper article excerpt I posted revealed that he did.

Comment

Working...
                              X