2018 Friendship Four Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

Yale, UConn, BU and Union will be playing for the Belpot trophy in Belfast Ireland on November 23rd and 24th. Each team except for Union are located mid pack in the pairwise. This should be a pretty wide open tourney IMO. My wife and I are taking in the tournament. We decided to self book our own trip rather than participate in official Yale trip. FYI, non-stop flights from Providence, Newburgh, NY and Boston on Norwegian Air Shuttle to Dublin are remarkably inexpensive at this time of year. We are flying out of Newburgh on the 20th and returning on the 27th for $276 round trip, which includes a carry on bag, staying the first night in Dublin to get settled then rented a small apartment via AirBNB for five nights in downtown Belfast. If anyone else is heading over, chime in, maybe we can share a pint in the old sod.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Re: 2018 Friendship Four Tournament

I also self-booked and made the trip for the 2015 event and it turned out to be one of the best times I ever had in many years of hockey related travel. The arena itself is clean and modern with excellent sight lines and surprisingly knowledgeable fans. Then there's "Mother of All Hockey Bars" (no exaggeration) on the ground floor of the arena building. If you do the right thing and make the trip, be sure to take an extra day or two to take a tour of Belfast and/or the Antrim coast. Another must is the Titanic Museum, located right on the slipway where the Titanic was built (and steps from the arena). And If you have time, take a bus or train down to Dublin and beyond. Really people, it's a great trip.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      I also self-booked and made the trip for the 2015 event and it turned out to be one of the best times I ever had in many years of hockey related travel. The arena itself is clean and modern with excellent sight lines and surprisingly knowledgeable fans. Then there's "Mother of All Hockey Bars" (no exaggeration) on the ground floor of the arena building. If you do the right thing and make the trip, be sure to take an extra day or two to take a tour of Belfast and/or the Antrim coast. Another must is the Titanic Museum, located right on the slipway where the Titanic was built (and steps from the arena). And If you have time, take a bus or train down to Dublin and beyond. Really people, it's a great trip.
      Thanks for the tips, we have already visited the south twice, plan on taking the Titanic Museum, the Causeway Coast and hopefully a trip to Derry. I bought a two day pass for the games yesterday and was surprised to see not many tickets available.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Do yourself a favor and take in a Black Cab Tour while in Belfast. You can customize the length of the tour to your own liking. You will visit the neighborhoods where all the “Troubles” occurred in the past. Very informative, interesting and downright moving.

Comment

It's a trip you'll never forget. My dad and I went in '16.

Another recommendation I'd make is Crumlin Rd Gaol, a former prison during the troubles. Very interesting tour there.

Will echo the Titanic Museum and Rockies Sports bar. Both were highlights of our trip. If you venture to Rockies, ask for Jim (the owner) and if it isn't busy, he might give you a bit of a tour of his memorabilia collection (extremely vast).

We really enjoyed Belfast, spent 3-4 days there and Dublin each. Great people, great event and a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosmo King View Post
            Do yourself a favor and take in a Black Cab Tour while in Belfast. You can customize the length of the tour to your own liking. You will visit the neighborhoods where all the “Troubles” occurred in the past. Very informative, interesting and downright moving.
            We are taking a walking tour concerning the troubles. There are two guides, one for the Catholic side and another for the Protestant side, both guides are ex political prisoners from that time. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Expecting high fortys each day.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              It's a trip you'll never forget. My dad and I went in '16.

Another recommendation I'd make is Crumlin Rd Gaol, a former prison during the troubles. Very interesting tour there.

Will echo the Titanic Museum and Rockies Sports bar. Both were highlights of our trip. If you venture to Rockies, ask for Jim (the owner) and if it isn't busy, he might give you a bit of a tour of his memorabilia collection (extremely vast).

We really enjoyed Belfast, spent 3-4 days there and Dublin each. Great people, great event and a great time.
              Everyone that's made the trip has raved about it. I'm still kicking myself for not making the trip when Lowell was involved in the first tourney. Hopefully the River Hawks will make a return trip.

Comment

I’m already here. Have a work thing in Dublin this week. Spending the weekend in London before heading back here to join the trip. Two locals have told me about the Black Cab tour so I will check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  I’m already here. Have a work thing in Dublin this week. Spending the weekend in London before heading back here to join the trip. Two locals have told me about the Black Cab tour so I will check it out!
                  Still managing to align your work trips around your BU hockey needs I see...
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Bump...game day.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

So no trip reports or random stories from those who made the trip?
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I attended both Yale games. On Friday the place was about 75% full with about 80% of the audience being school children from around the country. I would think that the organizers most likely gave away these tickets. It made for a very different crowd than we are used to. The Northern Irish school groups each had a team to cheer for, they were VERY enthusiastic and loud, I told my wife I had never heard so much screaming since I brought my daughters to a Hanson concert back in the day. Attendance was about 6K each day. Both Union and Yale played very hard and both goalies stole the show. I believe Yale took advantage of the larger international ice surface to avoid traps mid ice. The shootout was anticlimatic for Yale obviously. The second day was more families and only a few school groups. The Yale UConn game was closer than the final score showed. Yale wore UConn down with the forecheck and that was the difference. I did not take advantage of the "official" travel package, but we spent six wonderful days touring the north. The weather was cool, but the rain held off for the middle four days making the trip very enjoyable.
                        Last edited by LTsatch; 11-28-2018, 01:22 PM.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

A nice article from CHN on the Friendship Four Tournament.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...st-Friends.php

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

Great read, thx.. sounds like an excellent experience for those that have made the trip. I am glad Northeastern will be part of it again, Fall 2019.
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

I will add from my experience that the Irish of the north were very passionate still in their political beliefs. We took advantage of some political tours which really opened our eyes to what went on there. For any others headed to Belfast in the future, I recommend the "black cab" tours. Also, if flying out of the northeast, check fares for Norwegian Air Shuttle, we took that route for $300 round trip to Dublin from Newburgh NY and found a great AirBNB for $400. Rented a vehicle for $350 with FULL insurance. Do not skip that if you intend to drive there.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X