Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Lol *** it wasn’t long ago SCSU fans (or at least one) were saying the NCHC title was locked up, now they’re not?
    Looks very likely it will be a DU-UND first round. DU could make NCAA regardless but would be a great series I might have to try to make a game if it’s in Denver. Still need to make a game at RE
    No, it's locked up. Just an unbelievably lucky team to win the conference handily while having worse offensive players, defensive players and goalies than UMD. So thankful!
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      No, it's locked up. Just an unbelievably lucky team to win the conference handily while having worse offensive players, defensive players and goalies than UMD. So thankful!
      If you're like this in person, I'm assuming everybody avoids you.
      "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Since the NCHC schedule is unbalanced, there is a certain amount of luck involved with regards to who each team plays only one series against this season. Here are who each team played only 2 games against:

CC: @Omaha, Western
        Denver: @SCSU, Miami
        Duluth: @Western, Omaha
        Miami: @Denver, NoDak
        Omaha: CC, @Duluth
        NoDak: SCSU, @Miami
        SCSU: Denver, @NoDak
        Western: @CC, Duluth

SCSU/Miami seem to have the most difficult "missing games", eh?

r

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
          If you're like this in person, I'm assuming everybody avoids you.
          After your dead-on assessment of our respective favorite college hockey teams, I was just DYING to find out what you thought of my social life. Thanks for providing it!
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
            Since the NCHC schedule is unbalanced, there is a certain amount of luck involved with regards to who each team plays only one series against this season. Here are who each team played only 2 games against:

CC: @Omaha, Western
            Denver: @SCSU, Miami
            Duluth: @Western, Omaha
            Miami: @Denver, NoDak
            Omaha: CC, @Duluth
            NoDak: SCSU, @Miami
            SCSU: Denver, @NoDak
            Western: @CC, Duluth

SCSU/Miami seem to have the most difficult "missing games", eh?

r
            I made that comment to some of my buddies before the season started. Thought it did look favorable for SCSU. Could also argue both DU and UND were fortunate not to have to play SCSU 2x this year as well. It's the way it goes. Overall, the NCHC is a tough league almost top to bottom. This year, outside of UNO and Miami, you're in for a tough game every night of conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              I am not convinced DU finishes fourth. They may only have three games left at home but their final 7 games are all against the bottom three teams in the conference. If they can split in Duluth I think they could definitely crack the top three.
              Looked at it a little closer. Could see any combination of 2-4 between UMD, WMU and DU. 3 of the 7 are against CC. Was pretty impressed with CC last weekend and really over most of the season since the holiday break. Even though they are in the bottom three, it's more because of the strength of the league vs. them being a bottom tier team.

I still think it will go UMD, WMU and then DU though.

Comment

After your dead-on assessment of our respective favorite college hockey teams, I was just DYING to find out what you thought of my social life. Thanks for providing it!
                Thank you for proving my point.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
                  This year, outside of UNO and Miami, you're in for a tough game every night of conference play.
                  I wouldn’t even say that. St. Cloud went to Oxford and didn’t win; tied twice and took 3 of 6 points. UNO has had some impressive results including splitting the season series with Western 2-2 and I will be in Omaha and am by no means am “expecting” a sweep; Huskies will need to play six strong periods to come up with six points.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I'd challenge you to go and look at the team and individual statistics and re-evaluate your statement. I stated UMD had stronger goaltending and defense. Hunter Shepard has a better GAA and Save % than St. Cloud's netminders. UMD's team defense is giving up 1.85 goals a game, second in the nation. As for offensive players, St. Cloud is scoring 3.82 GF and UMD is scoring 3.23 GF. I conceded UMD didn't have the top end scoring talent St. Cloud does. I argued we had more depth, meaning I would take our line of Roth-Miller-Exell over St. Cloud's 4th line.

You can personally disagree with my assessment and that's fine, but I didn't pull it out of my a** with nothing to back it up. The stats back up exactly what I said, and your rebuttal was "well okay whatever you say". If you want to disagree with somebody's point, that's fine, but at least do it with some factual backing and not just because you have a hard on for what St. Cloud can do in the regular season.

Comment

• Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                      I'd challenge you to go and look at the team and individual statistics and re-evaluate your statement. I stated UMD had stronger goaltending and defense. Hunter Shepard has a better GAA and Save % than St. Cloud's netminders. UMD's team defense is giving up 1.85 goals a game, second in the nation. As for offensive players, St. Cloud is scoring 3.82 GF and UMD is scoring 3.23 GF. I conceded UMD didn't have the top end scoring talent St. Cloud does. I argued we had more depth, meaning I would take our line of Roth-Miller-Exell over St. Cloud's 4th line.

You can personally disagree with my assessment and that's fine, but I didn't pull it out of my a** with nothing to back it up. The stats back up exactly what I said, and your rebuttal was "well okay whatever you say". If you want to disagree with somebody's point, that's fine, but at least do it with some factual backing and not just because you have a hard on for what St. Cloud can do in the regular season.
                      Which stats? I have been trying to slice the data to support your view, but I do not see it.

SCSU has more twenty+ point scorers (7 to 3) and more 10+ goal scorers (5 to 2). Sure UMD 'leads' in the ten to nineteen point scorer range (9-6) and five to nine goals scored range (6 to 5), but they still fall short when the two are combined. So are you saying that you feel like your 4th line are better grinders, and therefore you have more depth?
                      Originally posted by Mankato student
                      Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                      "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                      -- Peter Klein

Comment

• Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                        Which stats? I have been trying to slice the data to support your view, but I do not see it.

SCSU has more twenty+ point scorers (7 to 3) and more 10+ goal scorers (5 to 2). Sure UMD 'leads' in the ten to nineteen point scorer range (9-6) and five to nine goals scored range (6 to 5), but they still fall short when the two are combined. So are you saying that you feel like your 4th line are better grinders, and therefore you have more depth?
                        Just to add to that... In terms of just double digit point forwards the Huskies have more as well. (10-8)
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post

Yes, that's exactly how I look at it. We have better team defense, so our players aren't asked to score as many points night in and night out to win. As a result, scoring across the board is down. I remember years ago when UMD had 3 of the top 5 point scorers in the country (Connolly, Connolly, and Fontaine). They had to score 3-4 goals a game to win, and they did. And having watched that team in 2011 and the team UMD has this year, I feel very confident saying UMD's team this year is much deeper. In 2019, UMD's 3rd and 4th lines are role players, but they're quality two way players that help supplement the overall team goal...wearing you down. UMD rolls four quality lines in my opinion, and having watched many SCSU games this year, I don't think I can say the same for you. Your top end talent has better goal scoring prowess than UMD's. I never disputed that. But I'll take our players who CAN score goals (Kobe Bender doesn't usually play and scored 2 goals against CC last Saturday) but play great team defense within our system over guys who fill the stats sheet.

Comment

I’d swear SCSU played CC last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
                              I’d swear SCSU played CC last weekend.
                              You did play CC this past weekend. Last weekend, UMD played CC. We may just word that differently.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                I wouldn’t even say that. St. Cloud went to Oxford and didn’t win; tied twice and took 3 of 6 points. UNO has had some impressive results including splitting the season series with Western 2-2 and I will be in Omaha and am by no means am “expecting” a sweep; Huskies will need to play six strong periods to come up with six points.
                                You might not, but I still will. That series was at the beginning of a 15 game winless streak for Miami. Also included in that streak was a weekend where SCSU completely dominated Miami and swept. The win that broke that streak came against conference powerhouse UNO. Yeah that UNO. The one SCSU swept even more handily than the Miami sweep. Their split with WMU is pretty much their only notable accomplishment this year. They got hammered by UMD as well so that's a bit of an offset. Not exactly impressed by them splitting with ASU, really their only good accomplishment in non-conference play.

While I want to see six strong periods every weekend out, they aren't going to need it to sweep UNO again. Especially coming off a week of rest. The only way they don't get six points this weekend is if they are completely and totally flat. If that happens, maybe this team isn't one that should be challenging for a third Penrose in six years, the number one overall seed for the second year in a row and hopefully a real run at their first National Championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X