RPI fan 4 life     0- 4- 0   0 points  .000

For your listening pleasure:

Fight Song
    http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music/LongHail.mp3

Alma Mater
    http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music3/...ma%20Mater.mp3
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI @ Union, Saturday, 10/27/18

A lot of questions answered last night. This team can play as a team. They can score if they put the pucks on net. And they didn't panic when Union scored their third goal. And they can play with energy and urgency (for at least 40 minutes).
    Now can they do it two night in a row.

Lets go red!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      A lot of questions answered last night. This team can play as a team. They can score if they put the pucks on net. And they didn't panic when Union scored their third goal. And they can play with energy and urgency (for at least 40 minutes).
      Now can they do it two night in a row.

Lets go red!!!!!!!!!!!!
      One other question was answered - all of us showed we can count to 5!!!
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Any opinions on the officiating from last night? Thought we deserved about 7 of the 9 penalties called on us (and perhaps should have been called for a couple others). But I think Union got away with a couple also. The key to the game was our taking so many penalties and being able to defend them. It has been my experience that we almost always take a bunch against Union and then see them score on about 30% of them. They are a good team that creates opportunities and you often have to interfere or hook them to stop them. If you cannot stop their power play, you are pretty much dead meat. Their power play efficiency often causes opponents to be far too careful defensively and reticent to impede them. Last night, we hit them when we had to in order to stop some offensive attempts and to impede their flow. But we were able to defend when short handed, not the least of the reason being that we won some absolutely crucial face offs in our zone. otherwise, that would have been a different game with a very different outcome (much like many others in the past several years).
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Going past that is another story.

Comment

Any opinions on the officiating from last night? Thought we deserved about 7 of the 9 penalties called on us (and perhaps should have been called for a couple others). But I think Union got away with a couple also. The key to the game was our taking so many penalties and being able to defend them. It has been my experience that we almost always take a bunch against Union and then see them score on about 30% of them. They are a good team that creates opportunities and you often have to interfere or hook them to stop them. If you cannot stop their power play, you are pretty much dead meat. Their power play efficiency often causes opponents to be far too careful defensively and reticent to impede them. Last night, we hit them when we had to in order to stop some offensive attempts and to impede their flow. But we were able to defend when short handed, not the least of the reason being that we won some absolutely crucial face offs in our zone. otherwise, that would have been a different game with a very different outcome (much like many others in the past several years).
            The calls that were made were mostly deserved; one seemed a little embellished but still a penalty, so no argument on the call being there. Union got away with a lot of tripping last night. But you are correct in that we finished out the PK even on goals in what almost seemed like a trick play for the shorty.

Although I'm not thrilled with the number of shots, I'm much happier that we were able to find the net and finish, which is much more important. Quantity will come, especially if we can get into a mindset of controlling the game against some of our opponents. Not exactly something to do against this opponent, so we really need to take what we can get.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              The calls that were made were mostly deserved; one seemed a little embellished but still a penalty, so no argument on the call being there. Union got away with a lot of tripping last night. But you are correct in that we finished out the PK even on goals in what almost seemed like a trick play for the shorty.

Although I'm not thrilled with the number of shots, I'm much happier that we were able to find the net and finish, which is much more important. Quantity will come, especially if we can get into a mindset of controlling the game against some of our opponents. Not exactly something to do against this opponent, so we really need to take what we can get.
              Make Saturday night special.
              Let's go, Red!

Comment

Not to mention, RPI was quick to get the puck out of their zone by shooting it down the ice as soon as possible instead of being cute and trying to generate offense on the power play. Something that has been lacking for the past 11 years.
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

The only call I would question, was the Too Many men on the ice call. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see it.
                  Also, did Union leave the ice without shaking hands, I turned away from the tv for a minute and when I came back, it looked like we were lined up for the hand shake and then just went into saluting the crowd.
                  Was I just not paying attention?
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

The only call I would question, was the Too Many men on the ice call. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see it.
                    Also, did Union leave the ice without shaking hands, I turned away from the tv for a minute and when I came back, it looked like we were lined up for the hand shake and then just went into saluting the crowd.
                    The too many men on the ice call was due to the new rule that the player leaving the ice has to be within 5 feet of the bench before the new player can come on. It must have been obvious that whoever was coming off wasn’t there yet.
                    And no, you were paying attention. The coaches exchanged handshakes but the players did not. Kind of like what happens when teams play each other on back-to-back nights (which happens quite often in the Western based leagues). they only shake hands after the second game.

Comment

Regarding the handshakes, it's a two game series, and including in years past with this matchup, they wait until the end of the series.. They'll shake hands tonight. Or at least they better.

As for not being able to count, I think this was the new rule in place. In order to change, the player going off must be within 5 feet of the bench area before the substituting player can come on. RPI-TV has to follow the puck so we definitely missed it on video. If we hopped off the bench too early given the 5 foot rule, then it was definitely the right call.

Comment

Going past that is another story.
                        I have goal-scoring posts through 10. I have yet to need more.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Except the players who once allegedly had 6 on the ice.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Except the players who once allegedly had 6 on the ice.
                            They can still count to 5... ...except thenst thou proceed to 6.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                              X