Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantic Hockey 2018 - 2019 Predictions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Hockey 2018 - 2019 Predictions.

Another season is here and teams are preparing for a competitive season ahead. I find games at this point in time are inconsistent as some coaches like to evaluate new recruits leading to lopsided scores, other coaches have a pretty firm grasp of their teams and seem to have things dialed in real early. I look at the Robert Morris results where they go out and beat Bowling Green 3 – 2, then the next night lose to the same team 6 – 0. I don’t think any one game means too much at this point, trends do matter going forward however especially when it comes to in conference games. Exhibition or non-conference games are behind us, coaches have a grasp of their player resources and things will start to shape up fairly quickly now.

Early season results are listed by team in order of the 2018/2019 coaches poll. Do you think your team will exceed the coaches poll, meet the coaches poll or ultimately not make expectations?

Any team screaming they are in trouble at this point?

Anyone care to take a stab at what they see will be the final rankings?

Air Force (#1 coaches poll)
    Sunday October 7: Air Force 2, Alberta 2 OT
    Friday October 12: Air Force 1, Denver 4
    Saturday October 13: Air Force 1, Colorado College 6

Canisius (#2 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Canisius 0, Toronto 4
    Friday October 12: Canisius 2, Holy Cross 4
    Saturday October 13: Canisius 7, Holy Cross 6

Robert Morris (#3 coaches poll)
    Sunday October 7: Robert Morris 4, Brock 2
    Friday October 12: Robert Morris 3, Bowling Green 2
    Saturday October 13: Robert Morris 0, Bowling Green 6

Mercyhurst (#4 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Mercyhurst 2, Bowling Green 8
    Friday October 12: Mercyhurst 6 OT, Notre Dame 6
    Saturday October 13: Mercyhurst 0, Miami 3

American International (#5 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: American International 1, Providence 3
    Friday October 12: American International 3, Niagara 4 OT
    Saturday October 13: American International 3, Niagara 1

Army West Point (#6 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Army West Point 1, Union 4
    Friday October 12: Army West Point 2, UConn 5
    Saturday October 13: Army West Point 3, Merrimack 2

RIT (#7 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: RIT 5, Wilfrid Laurier 2
    Friday October 12: RIT 1, UMass Lowell 2
    Saturday October 13: RIT 5, UMass Lowell 4 OT

Holy Cross (#8 coaches poll)
    Friday October 12: Holy Cross 4, Canisius 2
    Saturday October 13: Holy Cross 6, Canisius 7

Bentley (#9 coaches poll)
    Friday October 12: Bentley 0, Merrimack 1

Sacred Heart (#10 coaches poll)
    Friday October 12: Sacred Heart 2, Northeastern 5
    Saturday October 13: Sacred Heart 0, Northeastern 5

Niagara (#11 coaches poll)
    Saturday October 6: Niagara 2, York 5
    Friday October 12: Niagara 4 OT, American International 3
    Saturday October 13: Niagara 1, American International 3

Early season thoughts?

Re: Atlantic Hockey 2018 - 2019 Predictions.

A nail biter last evening...AIC beat Bentley by a score of 5 to 4 taking overtime to do it.

I'm old school in that I prefer to end a game in a tie with each getting a point, or alternately going overtime with one team getting 2 points versus 1 point for losing in overtime. Having to battle the entire game to make it to extra time and receive zero points is a tough one, perhaps they will even out during the season but Bentley coming away with nothing for their effort seems wrong.

AIC did manage by the scorecard to out shoot Bentley by a fairly wide margin of 32 to 14, with AIC (2 for 5) doubling Bentley's powerplay (1 for 4) with 2 goals to their 1.

Comment

I agree with Blitz. I would like to see 1 pt for a loss in OT. I wouldn't mind a 3 pt system.

Comment

AIC has been relatively consistent with their game day roster. #27 Jaks has not been in the lineup, so I don't know if he is hurt or if it is a coach's decision.
        Waiting to see #28 who is from Club Hockey (UNLV) in the lineup to see what he has. Impressed with the incoming and redshirt freshmen who have been playing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
          A nail biter last evening...AIC beat Bentley by a score of 5 to 4 taking overtime to do it.

I'm old school in that I prefer to end a game in a tie with each getting a point, or alternately going overtime with one team getting 2 points versus 1 point for losing in overtime. Having to battle the entire game to make it to extra time and receive zero points is a tough one, perhaps they will even out during the season but Bentley coming away with nothing for their effort seems wrong.

AIC did manage by the scorecard to out shoot Bentley by a fairly wide margin of 32 to 14, with AIC (2 for 5) doubling Bentley's powerplay (1 for 4) with 2 goals to their 1.
          Um, the loser point is not "old-school", in fact it is decidedly "new school", and frankly awful for hockey. It makes each individual game unbalanced (a game that goes to overtime is worth 3 points, and a game that does not is worth 2 points), and incentivizes low-scoring hockey (the less scoring there is, the more likely regulation ends in a tie).

The only standings systems that make sense are the ones that make every game count for equal weight. I think the standings system is fine the way it is, however, if one must have a winner, I'm fine with the 3 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie after overtime, and one point to the winner of the shootout system.

But any standings system such as the NHL/AHL's current system that rewards more points to certain games needs to die in a fire. College hockey plays 5 on 5 (ie regular hockey) for overtime. What's the difference between giving up a goal at 60:15 to lose in overtime and giving up a goal at 59:59 to lose a game with 1 second left in regulation? Why should one be rewarded over the other? Both teams lost. There will be games lost in regulation this season by teams who played far better than Bentley did last night.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
            Um, the loser point is not "old-school", in fact it is decidedly "new school", and frankly awful for hockey. It makes each individual game unbalanced (a game that goes to overtime is worth 3 points, and a game that does not is worth 2 points), and incentivizes low-scoring hockey (the less scoring there is, the more likely regulation ends in a tie).

The only standings systems that make sense are the ones that make every game count for equal weight. I think the standings system is fine the way it is, however, if one must have a winner, I'm fine with the 3 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie after overtime, and one point to the winner of the shootout system.

But any standings system such as the NHL/AHL's current system that rewards more points to certain games needs to die in a fire. College hockey plays 5 on 5 (ie regular hockey) for overtime. What's the difference between giving up a goal at 60:15 to lose in overtime and giving up a goal at 59:59 to lose a game with 1 second left in regulation? Why should one be rewarded over the other? Both teams lost. There will be games lost in regulation this season by teams who played far better than Bentley did last night.
            Could not agree more. Based on the SOG differential, sounds like my team Bentley was completely outplayed last night. Sigh.

Comment

It was fascinating to see the two AIC @ Canisius games.
              Friday, AIC got out to a 1-0 lead and then deflated for a few shifts and let up a quick goal. Took too many penalties and could never get it going. Canisius just sat back and jumped on AIC when they got a chance.
              Then Saturday they took less penalties but the ones they did take were really killed effectively. AIC got up and Canisius looked all discombobulated. Poor passes and couldn't get anything started.
              Amazing how the same tow teams can look so different on different nights.

Comment

An interesting season and a bit early to be making any predictions, things are starting to shape up wondering if the year has progressed the way many of us contemplated. We do have to take into account the uneven number of games and with that standings will juggle with the games in hand, so sorted by win percentage as it is a fairer representation to where we are in the season.

I have placed the pre-season coaches poll ranking in brackets as a yard stick to measure by.....

In conference, sorted by win percentage
                Place, TEAM, GP, W, L, T, PTS, Win %
                1 > Air Force 12 GP 8, 4, 0, 16 Pts 0.667 (Coaches poll #1)
                2 > AIC 12 GP 7, 4, 1, 15 Pts 0.625 (Coaches poll #5)
                2 > Niagara 12 GP 7, 4, 1, 15 Pts 0.625 (Coaches poll #12)

4 > Mercyhurst 10 GP 5, 4, 1, 11 Pts 0.550 (Coaches poll #4)
                4 > Robert Morris 10 GP 5, 4, 1, 11 Pts 0.550 (Coaches poll #3)
                6 > Army 14 GP 7, 6, 1, 15 Pts 0.536 (Coaches poll #6)
                7 > RIT 9 GP 4, 4, 1, 9 Pts 0.500 (Coaches poll #7)

8 > Canisius 13 GP 5, 7, 1, 11 Pts 0.423 (Coaches poll #2)
                9 > Bentley 12 GP 4, 7, 1, 9 Pts 0.375 (Coaches poll #9)
                10 > Sacred Heart 10 GP 3, 6, 1, 7 Pts 0.350 (Coaches poll #10)

11 > Holy Cross 8 GP 1, 6, 1, 3 Pts 0.188 (Coaches poll #8)

The two teams which coaches poll seem to vary quite a bit are in Canisius pre-season estimate of #2 whereas they currently stand in 8th spot. Niagara on the other hand was anticipated to finish 12th but find themselves currently in 2nd place. The remainder of the teams are seated where they were envisioned with some minor jockeying in the next little bit with games in hand.

Season thoughts ??

Comment

I don't understand Bentley. They have won some impressive OOC games, but their record in conference is lacking. AIC beat them in OT, and then tied them and NEVER had the lead at any time except at the very end when they won the 1st game.

I'm not sure how to read RIT. They looked good vs AIC, but AIC's goal tending was below average that week and RIT's goal tending was A+ that weekend. (I firmly believe Drackett got into AIC's head and forced AIC skaters to attempt to make an extra ill advised pass in the 2nd game.) But take away AIC's games and they are 2-4-1

I can not imagine the Air Force team that came to Springfield resembles the typical Air Force team.

I also don't understand how Holy Cross is 1-6-1. They were forcing AIC to clear the puck out of their zone by the glass continually. Which is something I had rarely see them do all year up to that point. I have been incredibly impressed how AIC didn't typically panic no matter what part of the ice they were in. Even vs Providence the passing in the D zone was super impressive.

I only see Canisius going as far as their goal tending takes them. AIC lost to them because their goal tending was A+ the first game and their team fed off of that. When their goal tending was average in the 2nd game, their team collapsed and played subpar.

i'll be missing the R.M. games due to vacation and possibly the UMass game. Though the way AIC played Quinnipiac, I'm a bit apprehensive about that game.

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post

i'll be missing the R.M. games due to vacation and possibly the UMass game. Though the way AIC played Quinnipiac, I'm a bit apprehensive about that game.
                    Don't you worry man... I got you back. As they used to say in the ECW era... FOR ONE (well two) NIGHT ONLY!!! The voice of the Springfield Pics will be returning to the booth in his old position!

Comment

Gentlemen,

Season is winding down and it's a tough slog to figure out at this time who will likely be the top 5 teams to get a bye in the first round. We can reasonably ascertain the top club in AIC, beyond that 2 through 5 is a way too tight to even hazard a guess.

American International > 26 GP, 17 W, 8 L, 1 T, 0.673 Pct, 35 Pts.

Bentley > 22 GP, 13 W, 7 L, 2 T, 0.636 Pct, 28 Pts.
                      Air Force > 22 GP, 11 W, 8 L, 3 T, 0.568 Pct, 25 Pts.
                      RIT > 22 GP, 11 W, 8 L, 3 T, 0.568 Pct, 25 Pts.
                      Mercyhurst > 22 GP, 11 W, 9 L, 2 T, 0.545 Pct, 24 Pts.
                      Sacred Heart > 22 GP, 11 W, 9 L, 2 T, 0.545 Pct, 24 Pts.

Niagara > 23 GP, 9 W, 11 L, 3 T, 0.457 Pct, 21 Pts.
                      Army > 22 GP, 7 W, 11 L, 4 T, 0.409 Pct, 18 Pts.
                      Holy Cross > 22 GP, 7 W, 12 L, 3 T, 0.386 Pct, 17 Pts.
                      Robert Morris > 22 GP, 8 W, 13 L, 1 T, 0.386 Pct, 17 Pts.
                      Canisius > 23 GP, 6 W, 15 L, 2 T, 0.304 Pct, 14 Pts.

Who is brave enough to give it a shot, top five in order.

Any huge surprises in the standings so far, don't believe anyone would have had Canisius down so far?

Liking how close the standings are stacking up, means Atlantic is getting more competitive and soon teams will not be able to use the regular season as a warm up as every point will matter. As it is now perhaps a single point might separate teams from getting a bye to having to play it out against a competitive team with nothing to lose.

Don't write any team off this season, from 1 through 11 it's shaping up to be a great run this playoffs for the fans.

Comment

I think that Bentley is the biggest surprise of the AHC season with their current, nation-leading, 11-game unbeaten streak.

Comment

Atlantic Hockey clinching and elmination scenarios, for the 4 different tiers of standings (championship, top 4 (2nd round home series), 1st round bye, host 1st round series):

*This does not deal with tiebreakers - to clinch you have to be clear of teams (ie a team that is guaranteed at least a tie for 4th is not guaranteed a top 4 finish) and to be eliminated you must be unable to tie teams at the tier (a team that can finish at best tied for 4th is not eliminated from top 4 contention).

I may have missed a couple of scenarios - this gets pretty crazy when you start factoring in the remaining schedule! This is also entering this weekend's games: Bentley's win over Niagara is not accounted for (so Bentley clinched at least a 1st round home series with their win tonight).

AIC:
                          - Clinched top 4 position.

BENTLEY:
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with at least 2 points this weekend
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 1 point if Robert Morris/Holy Cross does not end in a sweep
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 1 point and a Robert Morris sweep if Army does not pick up EXACTLY 3 points OR if RIT/Sacred Heart ends in a sweep either way.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 1 point and a Holy Cross sweep if Army does not pick up at least 3 points OR if Army, RIT, and Canisius all sweep.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs if Robert Morris/Holy Cross ends in a split OR if Army fails to collect 2 or more points on the weekend.
                          - Clinches a bye with a sweep if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to drop 6 points.
                          - Clinches a bye with 3 points this weekend if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to drop 7 points.

RIT:
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep if Holy Cross and Army both don’t sweep their series OR if Niagara fails to take 2 points or more from Bentley.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 3 points if Robert Morris/Holy Cross ends in a split OR if Army takes 1 point or less OR if Niagara is swept.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 2 points if Mercyhurst sweeps Army and Holy Cross/Robert Morris does not split.
                          - Can no longer win conference if they take 1 point or less.

AIR FORCE:
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep if Army fails to take 3 or more points OR if Robert Morris/Holy Cross does not end in a sweep OR if Niagara fails to take 2 or more points.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep and a Robert Morris sweep if RIT is swept and Niagara does not sweep OR if RIT takes 1 point and Niagara takes 2 points OR if Mercyhurst is swept OR if Sacred Heart is swept.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep and a Holy Cross sweep if RIT and Niagara sweep OR if one of RIT and Niagara sweep and Army takes exactly 3 points.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 3 points if Robert Morris/Holy Cross ends in a split OR if Army takes 1 point or less OR if Niagara is swept.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 3 points and a 3 point Robert Morris weekend if RIT is swept and Niagara takes exactly 1 point.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 2 points if Mercyhurst sweeps Army and Holy Cross/Robert Morris does not split.
                          - Can no longer win conference if they take 1 point or less

SACRED HEART:
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep if Robert Morris/Holy Cross ends in a split OR if Army takes 1 point or less OR if Niagara is swept.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep and a 3 point Robert Morris weekend if Niagara picks up exactly one point.
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with 3 points if Meryhurst sweeps Army and Holy Cross/Robert Morris does not split.
                          - Can no longer win conference if they take 2 points or less.

MERCYHURST:
                          - Clinches home ice in the 1st round of the playoffs with a sweep.
                          - Can no longer win conference if they take 2 points or less.

NIAGARA (Already eliminated from conference title contention):
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention with a 0 point weekend if two of the following happen (1)RIT takes 3 points or more, (2)Sacred Heart sweeps, (3)Air Force takes 3 points, (4) Mercyhurst sweeps. Additionally, if either (1) or (2) happens, they are also eliminated from top 4 contention if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to take 2 points.
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention with a 1 point weekend if RIT sweeps and Air Force sweeps.
                          - Eliminated from bye contention if all of the following happen: (1)Niagara is swept, (2)Either RIT takes 3 points or Sacred Heart sweeps, (3)Air Force takes 3 points, (4)Mercyhurst sweeps.

ARMY (Already eliminated from conference title contention)
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention if they are swept.
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention with a 1 point weekend if two of the following happen: (1)RIT takes 3 points or more, (2)Sacred Heart sweeps, (3)Air Force takes 3 points or more, or (4)Air Force takes 3 points or more AND Robert Morris/RIT combine to take 5 or more points.
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention with a 2 point weekend if RIT sweeps, Air Force takes at least two points and Bentley takes at least 1 point.
                          - Eliminated from bye contention if they are swept and Air Force takes 2 or more points.
                          - Eliminated from bye contention if they are swept, Sacred Heart takes exactly 3 points, and Niagara sweeps.

ROBERT MORRIS (Already eliminated from conference title contention)
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention if they take 1 point or less.
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention with a 2 point weekend if two of the following happen: (1)RIT takes 3 points or more, (2)Sacred Heart sweeps, (3)Mercyhurst sweeps, (4)Air Force takes 3 points or more. Additionally, if either (1) or (2) happens, they are also eliminated from top 4 contention if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to take 2 points.
                          - Eliminated from bye contention if they are swept and Sacred Heart takes either 2 or 3 points OR if Sacred Heart takes 1 point and Army sweeps.

HOLY CROSS (Already eliminated from conference title contention)
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention if they take 1 point or less.
                          - Eliminated from top 4 contention with a 2 point weekend if two of the following happen: (1)RIT takes 3 points or more, (2)Sacred Heart sweeps, (3)Mercyhurst sweeps, (4)Air Force takes 3 points or more. Additionally, if either (1) or (2) happens, they are also eliminated from top 4 contention if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to take 2 points.
                          - Eliminated from bye contention if they are swept and Sacred Heart takes either 2 or 3 points OR if Sacred Heart takes 1 point and Army sweeps.

CANISIUS (Already eliminated from conference title contention, top 4 contention, and bye contention)
                          - Eliminated from hosting the 1st round if they are swept and either Robert Morris/Holy Cross ends in a sweep in either direction or Army takes 3 or more points.
                          - Eliminated from hosting the 1st round with a 1 point weekend if Army sweeps and Niagara takes one point.
                          Last edited by jflory81; 02-14-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Individual awards will be interesting. I have to think Coach Lang at AIC should win Coach of the Year, though. Billy Christopoulos is likely goaltender of the year. Ludwig Stenlund is looking good for freshman of the year. POTY is wide open though - as will be all conference teams.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              Individual awards will be interesting. I have to think Coach Lang at AIC should win Coach of the Year, though. Billy Christopoulos is likely goaltender of the year. Ludwig Stenlund is looking good for freshman of the year. POTY is wide open though - as will be all conference teams.
                              Agree with your choices listed above. AHA POTY? IMHO Joseph Duszak from ‘Hurst is having a heck of a season. Not sure if it factors in, but how Mercyhurst finishes might play into who is POTY, as well as he is still a Junior.
                              RPI Engineers
                              RIT Tigers
                              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                              X