X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
    A lot of good thoughts about the game last night. The one thing I have not seen mentioned is penalties. The lack of penalties (only two minor penalties) last night was a big deal. Not having to kill off 10 to 15 minutes of penalties in a game significantly alters the game.

Also, I believe we had a good first period last night because of the ability to win face-offs and maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone.
    Ray all of the things you mention were positives for UNH last night and most likely made the difference in the game. These things, esp puck possession, have been things they have been needing to improve on and it's gratifying to see that happening. I mean...it's something! I think we can be optimistic in many ways although I don't think anyone here holds any illusions about this team.

That said...I know we'll surprise here and there...it's too early to say but if we could make the HE tournament, that would be a decent season for this young bunch! Pretty much they have nothing to lose game in and game out, so why not just go for it and see what happens...along the way, win some games, get some much needed experience for the future. So far it's been great to see what the Frosh have been able to do. There's a much different energy on the ice than last year, not sure if everyone agrees with this but I can see it...

As for me, I'm enjoying the process! Let's go 'Cats!!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

+1 on the going to the net, reducing penalties, stepping up to cover for Max and winning face off comments.

FWIW - Engarås is hanging out, signing autographs and looking sharp with the other players who did not dress for the game.

Has anyone else seen this year's smaller format team yearbook? Disappointing lack of content, basically a fluff publication. After years of purchasing at least one copy, this will be my last unless they rethink.

edit: At least 3 recruits in attendance last night. No idea who or where they were from.
      Last edited by Darius; 11-24-2018, 01:03 PM.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
        Dan, I haven’t read all your messages on here but I hope and trust that you are enjoying the Miami at UNH series. Good luck.
        - Colgate Tom
        P.S. - I went out to Oxford, Ohio, for the ‘Gate series and had a great time (despite our play).
        Thank you, Tom. I appreciate that and I'm glad you were able to make it to Oxford again. And that you enjoyed yourself. It's a pretty specialty town, with a beautiful campus, that I think a lot of people need to see to believe it could exist in rural SW Ohio. I know when I visited I thought I was wasting my time while driving in, but once I got on campus...

I think Greg described it best when he called it Disney Land for college kids!

As for these two teams meeting, I do enjoy it to some degree but I also wish they never played. Every goal for is also a goal against. Every win is a loss. A tie is disappointing for both teams...

That said, assuming UNH is playing in Oxford next fall - that is probably a must make series...

Fun swing through northern New England for Colgate next weekend. Good luck and here's to some goals for the Raiders. Congrats on a big soccer win over UNH, too.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          +1 on the going to the net, reducing penalties, stepping up to cover for Max and winning face off comments.

FWIW - Engarås is hanging out, signing autographs and looking sharp with the other players who did not dress for the game.

Has anyone else seen this year's smaller format team yearbook? Disappointing lack of content, basically a fluff publication. After years of purchasing at least one copy, this will be my last unless they rethink.

edit: At least 3 recruits in attendance last night. No idea who or where they were from.
          Saw it for the first time last night and totally agree...not like the past. We usually get one with our FOH membership but don't know/think that's happening this year and was going to buy one...wonder what's up with that? Like I've been hearing...lots of changes in the way they (UNH Athletics) are doing things this season; this could be one of them...maybe the cost to produce was prohibitive? I dunno….

YES it was great to see/meet Filip Engaras last night...can't wait to see him on the ice!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Saw it for the first time last night and totally agree...not like the past. We usually get one with our FOH membership but don't know/think that's happening this year and was going to buy one...wonder what's up with that? Like I've been hearing...lots of changes in the way they (UNH Athletics) are doing things this season; this could be one of them...maybe the cost to produce was prohibitive? I dunno….

YES it was great to see/meet Filip Engaras last night...can't wait to see him on the ice!
            Other FOH members are confused by this as well. Stop by the FOH table and ask, my guess/hope is they will hand you one. When purchasing, I asked, "What's up with the new format"? The students at the table didn't know for sure, but the possible reason that I liked best was "sustainability".
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Other FOH members are confused by this as well. Stop by the FOH table and ask, my guess/hope is they will hand you one. When purchasing, I asked, "What's up with the new format"? The students at the table didn't know for sure, but the possible reason that I liked best was "sustainability".
              That’s my plan...and love the answer you got!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Yes, disappointing... One thing they didn't skimp on was the full page dedicated to our Athletic Director; I pore over every word each year.
                And another change I noticed this year: Colin Shank (Hockey Operations) has not been in the bench area during games. Maybe there is now some restrictions on the number of people you can have there; or was it a decision of the new coach?

Comment

I’m probably the least qualified on the board to opine, but what I thought I saw last night was everybody keeping their feet moving most of the time, and really ‘active’ sticks - if that’s a thing.
                  Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                    I’m probably the least qualified on the board to opine, but what I thought I saw last night was everybody keeping their feet moving most of the time, and really ‘active’ sticks - if that’s a thing.
                    What he said....nailed it!

Comment

• Miami will apparently start Uhelski - the UAH grad transfer makes just his third appearance of the year. He beat his former team in the season opener and allowed 3 goals on 22 shots in losing to Lowell...
                      Last edited by Dan; 11-24-2018, 05:35 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

No Keller or Maas tonight. 👎👎👎👎👎👎

Comment

Maass in a sling and ChKell also out of the line up to night...Robinson gets the start v the Red Hawks

Comment

• Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                            No Keller or Maas tonight. 👎👎👎👎👎👎
                            Also Cippolone and Cefalu are scratched and Fregona, Sato, Sacco and Gildon are in. Robinson starts.

Sinard is out and Switzer is in as the seventh defenseman for the RedHawks.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Blackburn scores for the second night in a ro from BVR and Gildon to tie the game at one a piece. Miami took a lead midway through the first on a bad Crookshank turnover in the offensive zone leading to a RedHawk 3-on-1...

Miami outshooting UNH badly early. UNH rallies behind a couple of PPs late - shots are 11-9 after one (MIA)...
                              Last edited by Dan; 11-24-2018, 06:33 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Blackburn scores for the second night in a ro from BVR and Gildon to tie the game at one a piece. Miami took a lead midway through the first on a bad Crookshank turnover in the offensive zone leading to a RedHawk 3-on-1...

Miami outshooting UNH badly early. UNH rallies behind a couple of PPs late - shots are 11-9 after one (MIA)...
                                I've said it and I'll say it again, UNH is better than their record shows!
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X