This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Uhhhh Snively65… press conferences and interviews offer plenty of opportunities for inquiry, no??

Not that complicated, is it?
    I thought you meant that we humble posters here needed to do the sleuthing, rather than the fake news media. :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I really thought that we played a lot better than our meager 10 SOG would suggest.
      Seriously. It would be a challenge to play that well with so few shots again.

edit: 9 in regulation, but who' counting? For those who are, no need to remove your socks.
      Last edited by Darius; 11-10-2018, 11:49 AM.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Maybe. But, if MS had, and UML scored the equalizer right away anyway, he would not have been able take the TO when he did, which seemed to at least stabilize things at 2-2; we even got a SOG in OT, although it seemed that both teams were content with a tie by then.

I really thought that we played a lot better than our meager 10 SOG would suggest.
        Okay fair enough. I did not realize he called a TO after the second goal and you're right that was probably a better move at that time. Thanks 65.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I assumed Engarås was sitting a semester, no?

Something that is likely to remain from the Umile days is the program keeping things in house. This isn't the NFL with rules about issuing practice, injury reports. They players are students not professional athletes. For fans, the lack of news is frustrating, but I get it.

It will be interesting to to learn how Coach Souza handles discipline. Umile suspended players for observing trouble from a reasonable distance. I favor that, but maybe factor in the speed and nature of how "news" now travels.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            ..Coach Souza talks about the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-hSKu4BAM8
            Thanks. I like his take better than my "One of the best games we've played in the past few years..." analysis. Losing Wyse may have been the difference between the tie and hanging on for a win. A well rested BU team that we are tied in the standings with will be a challenge.

Comment

During the game, I couldn't figure our who the extra forward was. Turns out that was because it was MacKinnon. Maybe we knew Wyse was going to be tossed? MacKinnon played well. So did Verrier. When did we last skate two freshman defense men?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                I assumed Engarås was sitting a semester, no?
                I had speculated a game for each pro-game played - that was similar to what Leon Bristedt was subjected to as a FR at Minnesota when he missed the first two games. If you had told me Engaras would be subjected to as much as a year plus games I would have believed you - the hard part to reconcile is why Bristedt only missed two games. Karlsson - at LSSU this very season - missed just two games also, despite playing more pro games than Engaras. That's what makes things curious, why the different penalties??

Did Bristedt and Karlsson know they wanted to play NCAA Hockey and played 'professionally' while refusing benefits (yet still facing a minor penalty) while Engaras was, perhaps, caught off guard by UNH's interest and had accepted payment (thus a stiffer penalty)? Is Engaras actually eligible by now and recently injured? Is he being held out of other reasons - foreign transcript issues? Are they worried he may struggle on small ice and waiting for a home game? Is he being held out because they think they have better options? Were MN and LSSU more aggressive in pursuing a compliance solution? Lots of questions that I bet would be answered if asked - and I hope they soon are....

---

As for last night's game - it's hard to reconcile UNH playing really well and not creating any consistent offense. At least for the last two periods. I know Jeff Cox tweeted that the two late goals were a just result as UML outplayed UNH. So I ask you and Snively (or anyone else) - what did they game look like? Did they not pull the trigger on shots? Missed nets? Blocked shots? What was zone time like? They talked a big game about going to the net this week - did they? Did they attack the goal with speed like I wanted to see? What sort of plays/possession made you feel good? We're UMLs shots grade A or outside? Etc? Thanks in advance...

Also, maybe you're being facetious or just blanked (hard to tell), but last time UNH regularly skated two FR defensemen? Last year. Gildon and Maass, haha.

Blackburn could easily be banged up. Could be a watch from the seats and play better tomorrow, etc. Could be a lot of things - I just thought it was worth noting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either goalie tonight. If you still believe in Taylor - and I do - I'd rather keep getting him in games than chasing wins. But going back to Robinson would be fair, he's playing well...
                Last edited by Dan; 11-10-2018, 01:38 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Also, maybe you're being facetious or just blanked (hard to tell), but last time UNH regularly skated two FR defensemen? Last year. Gildon and Maass, haha.
                  Errgghh..

Comment

...it's hard to reconcile UNH playing really well and not creating any consistent offense.
                    Precisely.

I have to admit I was not focused as usual last night,. I was moving around the arena a bit, especially early. UML always clog things up defensively, they did last night and they did spend a lot of time in our zone. However, at both ends of the ice, we seemed to have a plan and pretty good success executing it. Offensively we were a pass or a good finish away from a back door goal several times, Defensively we moved the puck out of our zone. The shot differential on the score board was surreal. It just didn't seem that bad on the ice. Many UML shots were not grade A and when they were, Robinson came up big.
                    Last edited by Darius; 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I had speculated a game for each pro-game played - that was similar to what Leon Bristedt was subjected to as a FR at Minnesota when he missed the first two games. If you had told me Engaras would be subjected to as much as a year plus games I would have believed you - the hard part to reconcile is why Bristedt only missed two games. Karlsson - at LSSU this very season - missed just two games also, despite playing more pro games than Engaras. That's what makes things curious, why the different penalties??

Did Bristedt and Karlsson know they wanted to play NCAA Hockey and played 'professionally' while refusing benefits (yet still facing a minor penalty) while Engaras was, perhaps, caught off guard by UNH's interest and had accepted payment (thus a stiffer penalty)? Is Engaras actually eligible by now and recently injured? Is he being held out of other reasons - foreign transcript issues? Are they worried he may struggle on small ice and waiting for a home game? Is he being held out because they think they have better options? Were MN and LSSU more aggressive in pursuing a compliance solution? Lots of questions that I bet would be answered if asked - and I hope they soon are....

---

As for last night's game - it's hard to reconcile UNH playing really well and not creating any consistent offense. At least for the last two periods. I know Jeff Cox tweeted that the two late goals were a just result as UML outplayed UNH. So I ask you and Snively (or anyone else) - what did they game look like? Did they not pull the trigger on shots? Missed nets? Blocked shots? What was zone time like? They talked a big game about going to the net this week - did they? Did they attack the goal with speed like I wanted to see? What sort of plays/possession made you feel good? We're UMLs shots grade A or outside? Etc? Thanks in advance...

Blackburn could easily be banged up. Could be a watch from the seats and play better tomorrow, etc. Could be a lot of things - I just thought it was worth noting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either goalie tonight. If you still believe in Taylor - and I do - I'd rather keep getting him in games than chasing wins. But going back to Robinson would be fair, he's playing well...
                      Dan, I would add the following. We didn't get the dirty or in tight goals last night because we did get many shots to the net. Simple as that. We still seem to be looking for that last pass that will find the side of the net open, but.... it is either blocked or intercepted. Nas had just such an opportunity in the OT and didn't take the shot. To get those goals, we need to take those shots as we cross the blue line and then find the rebound. Also, while we were clearly out shot, I swear that we had several shots that I would have sworn would make the board but after looking up, they were not there. Often it is the difference between the arena scorer and then an adjustment as HE scorer makes corrections after the period. I remember Grasso spinning and shooting point blank into the goalie mid section. No shot? maybe high but sure didn't look it. Not big deal but it is a psychological thing on some level.

Comment

• Thanks for the insight, both of you. Hopefully, tonight, it continues and starts to translate to pucks in the net...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Also of note, the second leading scorer among all D in the BCHL and a top-20 scorer overall with 11-13--24 in 22 games is none other than James Miller. Who should have been the third FR defenseman to skate a regular shift last season...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Also of note, the second leading scorer among all D in the BCHL and a top-20 scorer overall with 11-13--24 in 22 games is none other than James Miller. Who should have been the third FR defenseman to skate a regular shift last season...
                            This seems to have become a regrettable pattern in recent seasons ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Good for him....
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Wyse in the lineup. Thot he got a DQ!
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X