Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
    I listened a while back to an interview our old AC gave when at Denver. He was asked how he was able to be successful so quickly at Dubuque and now at Denver. His answer was simple. I don’t make my players fit into my system. I have them play a system that is suited to them. I adapt my style of play to my players.

To me there in lies the problem. Too many coaches try to make the players they have play a style that they want them to do or be vs what they are capable of being. Cohesiveness, Chemistry it’s all about playing within your self and not what someone else wants you to be.
    And that is exactly what makes Monty a great coach.

Comment

[QUOTE=engineerhockeyfan;6734775]With our current goal production, you can't expect any game to be in the win column. Army always plays us tough and as Ralph said, UVM is at home.
      I believe that we can take those two games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
      Until we can score goals at a reasonable rate, we can't take anything for granted.[/QUOTE

Take more shots. Make the goalie make easy saves. He might leave a rebound or RPI might win a FO. In the Brown game RPI often tried to pass to a trailing player which has the puck going the way Brown wants to skate.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI67 View Post
        Take more shots. Make the goalie make easy saves. He might leave a rebound or RPI might win a FO. In the Brown game RPI often tried to pass to a trailing player which has the puck going the way Brown wants to skate.
        That's all well and good for fundamentals, and the drop pass is a bad habit we've had for three years. Here's the question, though: Who on the team is actually crashing the net for a rebound? And given are forwards' size isn't exactly Doc-approved if you know what I mean, can we actually win those battles? Yes, they won't know unless they try, and maybe the smaller ones can play big and make it happen.

Comment

[QUOTE=RPI67;6734944]
          Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          With our current goal production, you can't expect any game to be in the win column. Army always plays us tough and as Ralph said, UVM is at home.
          I believe that we can take those two games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
          Until we can score goals at a reasonable rate, we can't take anything for granted.[/QUOTE

Back in the early 1960s, I listened to an interview with Bronco Horvath (spelling?). He was a pretty good scorer back then, and was asked what made him successful. His answer was I shot into the goalies pads. If he saved it, it left a rebound for either myself or my teammates. The most important thing was to get the puck on net.
          I have never forgotten that, and I am reminded of it everytime we try to make the perfect shot and miss the net.
          Just sayin!!!
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Back in the early 1960s, I listened to an interview with Bronco Horvath (spelling?). He was a pretty good scorer back then, and was asked what made him successful. His answer was I shot into the goalies pads. If he saved it, it left a rebound for either myself or my teammates. The most important thing was to get the puck on net.
            I have never forgotten that, and I am reminded of it everytime we try to make the perfect shot and miss the net.
            Just sayin!!!
            You're not the only one. Even when I was a freshman and took my mother to a game, I distinctively remember her asking, "Why isn't the center crashing the net?" And this was back when Fridgen was still coaching. This has been a problem for a VERY long time.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              You're not the only one. Even when I was a freshman and took my mother to a game, I distinctively remember her asking, "Why isn't the center crashing the net?" And this was back when Fridgen was still coaching. This has been a problem for a VERY long time.
              I guess it just isn't "the Engineer way".
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I guess it just isn't "the Engineer way".
                That’s the role I anticipated for Donovan Ott. He’s well built, strong and with what has occasionally been a solid wrist shot, He’s shown the ability to screen a few times but I’m hoping he puts it all together and not only helps his teammates score but he picks up tips, rebounds and centering passes around the crease.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

While crashing the net is important, I posted that to show how important getting the puck on net is to scoring a goal.
                    We miss the net on way too many scoring chances. And we don't get that many good scoring chances.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

While crashing the net is important, I posted that to show how important getting the puck on net is to scoring a goal.
                      We miss the net on way too many scoring chances. And we don't get that many good scoring chances.
                      This may be true, but perhaps the two are complementary? If we're not prepared to handle rebounds and scrums in front of the net, then wouldn't the onus be upon the snipers to try to find the perfect shot, only to end up missing? And maybe the culture goes further than we thought... I seem to recall, back when Scott Diebold was training in Buffalo during an off-season, he mentioned in an interview that many of the players were just taking one shot and not digging for rebounds and garbage goals.

Have both in the arsenal to be better rounded, but I would certainly try the gritty plays first. If the goalie's well able to control rebounds and follow the bouncing puck, that's going to be something we run into, so we go for something else. Or better yet, mix it up a bit. But the 28 missed shots we had in our last game is just plain embarrassing.

Comment

Well I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Like you, she now has the credentials to be the next head coach!
                        I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                          I listened a while back to an interview our old AC gave when at Denver. He was asked how he was able to be successful so quickly at Dubuque and now at Denver. His answer was simple. I don’t make my players fit into my system. I have them play a system that is suited to them. I adapt my style of play to my players.

To me there in lies the problem. Too many coaches try to make the players they have play a style that they want them to do or be vs what they are capable of being. Cohesiveness, Chemistry it’s all about playing within your self and not what someone else wants you to be.
                          Succinct posting that pretty much says exactly what I have been trying to say for years. Spot on!
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

[QUOTE=engineerhockeyfan;6735010]
                            Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

Just sayin!!!
                            When I was very young (a long long time ago in a galaxy far away) and trying to learn to play this game. I had a family member who was a brilliant coach. His simple advice to me was to try to put every shot on net (no matter how soft), on the goalie but away from his glove hand where he simply cannot just catch the puck. There would almost always be a rebound for someone else and that someone else who was probably a better shot and a stronger kid than me who could score.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• [QUOTE=DrDemento;6735744]

When I was very young (a long long time ago in a galaxy far away) and trying to learn to play this game. I had a family member who was a brilliant coach. His simple advice to me was to try to put every shot on net (no matter how soft), on the goalie but away from his glove hand where he simply cannot just catch the puck. There would almost always be a rebound for someone else and that someone else who was probably a better shot and a stronger kid than me who could score.
                              That's because back then goalies didn't wear gloves
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

It appears we have returned to square one again. All we want is a team that shows it is getting some traction and not just spinning its wheels. I have been a season ticket holder for 27 years. When I share that with others, I always qualify that with "lots of very lean years". The discussion here seems to be how to get out of the rut and try to identify why RPI seems incapable of playing more competitively at the D1 level. I think when you can't recruit high level players to your program, it leads to poor records which leads to inability to recruit good players. And on and on. When we have had a couple good players (Murley, Haggarty, Polacek, etc) we have better records. If you don't have good players and the coach cannot develop a system that results in a whole that is better than the sum of its parts, we have RPI hockey. The one thing that seems left out of this discussion is :Is RPI making the investment in the program and facilities to make a qualitative difference? I think we all know the answer to that. So, for me, how long does this go on? Is RPI hockey trying to remain a D1 program? Or is it just one in name only?

Comment

Working...
                                X