Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    Seriously, did you get lost and come here instead of GPL? Been awhile.

And we actually got a new poster too?????? Attendance is up about 25% here.
    I knew I should have taken that left in Albuquerque....

Still lurk and read quite a bit.....you guys have it covered.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      I suspect they don't trust the D enough to commit the extra man deep. I would think as Bob gets his players into the program we will see them get more and more aggressive.
      Makes sense and this is good to hear. I think some of my biggest criticisms of the last coaching staff toward the end was the constant dumping of the puck with a weak forecheck and the Dmen being way too statue-esque at the blue line on offense. Glad to see some of this starting to take place under Motzko and I hope you're right that they plan to become more aggressive and fun (he said as much before the year).

Comment

I suspect they don't trust the D enough to commit the extra man deep. I would think as Bob gets his players into the program we will see them get more and more aggressive.
        What I was describing wasn't so much the scheme they were employing as I noticed when two guys were already deep with two PSU players, if the first PSU player got it to the second, the Gopher, instead of immediately pouncing on him, would just wait for the PSU guy to make a move at times. No killer instinct in those situations and gives PSU guy time to make the right play most of the time. If you already have two guys deep, don't allow any space or time. This seemed much less frequent last night (or maybe it was partly I wasn't watching as intently being on my third plus game of the day and haveing a few glasses of wine in me by that time.) In other words, a player effort/confidence issue more than coaching.

Comment

SteveO was right, the Gophers were much more aggressive on the forecheck tonight, often sending in two, and it resulted in more zone time. Good call, sir!
          It was Koho who gave me the idea. I hope they do the same against ND.. I didn't know Bob read this thread?

Hope you went the route I did and watched Team USA first and a recorded Gophs. First, ends the night better. Second, they mentioned the Juniors score during the Gopher game so would have taken some mystery away. But mainly, after seeing a goal taken away from USA when a player was briefly in the crease (after the puck entered) then was tackled and fell out of the crease before the goal was scored by a different player, only later to have Finland score the winner with a guy with his foot in the crease, was too frustrating of a way to end the night. Instead, after USA I went to the second half the Wild game and watched them come back, then went to the Gopher game. A split with a Saturday win always feels a little better than a Friday win.
          I started with the "high anxiety hockey fan" switching back and forth routine. Then just stayed with the Gophers like a good homie. Saw the third of the USA/FIN. I didn't get a good look at the GWG. Is there a still frame that shows it?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I can’t tell if this is serious or not.
            To be honest, I'm wasn't sure either. But whether sarcastic or serious, isn't the meaning is the same either way? (that crowd atmosphere is currently lacking)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

I started with the "high anxiety hockey fan" switching back and forth routine. Then just stayed with the Gophers like a good homie. Saw the third of the USA/FIN. I didn't get a good look at the GWG. Is there a still frame that shows it?
              I got a text from a buddy with a grainy shot claiming this right after I deleted my recording of it. I think it might have been in the crease but came out before shot. But that is what seemed to happen on US non-goal. Would like to know what the actual rule is.

Comment

From the IIHF rulebook:
                If an attacking skater is in the goal crease at the moment the puck
                crosses the plane of the goal line and his position in no way affects
                the goaltender’s ability to make a save or play his position properly,
                the goal will be allowed.

I wish I would have saved the recording though, because I though the forward entered the crease following the puck. Was attacked by three Finns and was tackled, falling out of the crease as the puck came out of the crease and Walstrom (?) shot in. Can't find anything in the rules to justify the goal being called off.

Comment

At least they didn't lose to Canisius this week.
                  Canisius swept UND!?? A lot of Whioux fans on pain medication this week.

A host of other upsets last weekend blew up my PWR calculations. I was only off on the RPI by .0021 though, which landed the Gophers in 26th instead of 24th.

It was a rough week for teams in the USCHO Poll. Nine of the top 15 suffered losses, including No. 1 St. Cloud (7-2 to No. 14 Union), No. 2 Massachusetts (2-1 to UMass-Lowell), and No. 5 Quinnipiac (5-4 to Colgate).

Also dropping games were Notre Dame (ranked sixth), Penn State (ninth), Northeastern (11th), Bowling Green (12), North Dakota (13), and Union (14th). All but St. Cloud lost to unranked teams.
                  Last edited by SteveO; 01-07-2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    Gotta have faith
                    Had to post this. I'm reading the BC thread and boom! Debbie Downer with a stunner.

Interesting article on the death of Olympic size rinks > ARTICLE
                    Last edited by SteveO; 01-08-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      Had to post this. I'm reading the BC thread and boom! Debbie Downer with a stunner.

Interesting article on the death of Olympic size rinks > ARTICLE
                      Have not heard anything happening anytime soon at Mariucci. As far as I know, it's still just on the wish-list, with no definite timetable to get it done.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

They don't have the dough and I wouldn't expect it any time soon given the rebuild happening. We don't have any huge donors like some college programs do.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Have not heard anything happening anytime soon at Mariucci. As far as I know, it's still just on the wish-list, with no definite timetable to get it done.
                          Yeah and I think Bonin nailed it...no cash flow for this project. The article reminded me that the Gophers' systems and style were historically engineered over 25 years ago for the big sheet.

The big sheet doesn't have the level of physicality like the NHL size. Thus the Gophers have been known for their speed and puck skills more than their physical game.

That style and emphasis will change over time though on the smaller sheet and the Gophers will add more consistent physicality to their game. I'd actually like to see that now.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            It's common for many observers to blame the Gopher D for all the team's woes, and much of the criticism is deserved. But it's primarily the forwards' job to put the puck in the net, and when they only score twice on 46 shots, the blame shifts to them. Coming close doesn't count.
                            Yeah. I said the same a month back. The D is very young. There is no excuse for the forwards.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

The forwards deserve plenty of blame for the mediocrity of this team, they're also likely not the main reason we get outshot and outchanced every night.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                The forwards deserve plenty of blame for the mediocrity of this team, they're also likely not the main reason we get outshot and outchanced every night.
                                Huh? If they're unable to maintain possession, generate PP's and scoring chances of their own which unit is generally more to blame? Granted defenders absolutely play a part in breaking out of the defensive zone etc., but how many times have the Gophers given up shot opportunities for one pass too many, missed the net and just flat out failed to score? They're 18th in PP% yet 13th in PK%, 35th in FO%, 22nd in Sh%, 43rd in overall CF% and 53rd in Close CF% which is huge given how many close games they've had, meanwhile Robson has a .924 SV%. As bad as the D core supposedly is the forwards are not getting it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X