Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    My odds for the weekend, based on what I've observed to date.

Gophers sweep: 10%
    Series split: 35%
    Penn State sweeps: 55%
    If it were at PSU, those numbers would match SOG for PSU, per period: 10-35-55.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I said 65/30/5 on GH

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        I said 65/30/5 on GH
        You mean in the order I've got mine, 5/30/65?
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
          You mean in the order I've got mine, 5/30/65?
          Yup

Comment

Yup
            I may be a tad more optimistic that you, but we are both decidedly pessimistic. I sure wish we could objectively justify reversing those percentages, but realistically this is the current state of where the two programs are today...

Comment

Pre-series interview with Rem Pitlick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWu0...ature=youtu.be

Comment

I may be a tad more optimistic that you, but we are both decidedly pessimistic. I sure wish we could objectively justify reversing those percentages, but realistically this is the current state of where the two programs are today...
                There was no sweep at Mariucci in calendar year 2018.

When was the last time that happened? How long do we wait for the next one?
                Last edited by Bonin21; 01-04-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

For once I see no reason to counter your thoughts until I see more effort/consistency from this team. I keep thinking that at some point their pride, guts and desire will boil over for the privilege they have of wearing the M but until they sustain that I'm not going to feel great going into any series at this time.

Comment

It's been AT LEAST 30 calendar years since we've had a year with no sweep at home. I actually stopped going back...

Comment

Local coverage of the team has been at best spotty this season, but in this morning's Star Tribune there are TWO decent sized articles on the current state of affairs, one of them being a column from "Mr. Hockey Expert" Pat Reusse:

Bob Motzko working to steady Gophers hockey team's bumpy ride
                      http://www.startribune.com/bob-motzk...ide/503857112/

And if you can believe what you read from the players here ["I hate them!"], the Gophers seem to be pretty fired up about the opportunity to avenge what they allowed Penn State to do to them last season:

Gophers men's hockey team looks for revenge against Penn State
                      http://www.startribune.com/gophers-m...cle/503865352/

We'll see if that extra motivation can last more than a period or two tonight...

Comment

It's been AT LEAST 30 calendar years since we've had a year with no sweep at home. I actually stopped going back...
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well that's not great

Comment

Penn St. with their high powered, high SOG offense will be a good test for the Gophers series at home. While PSU has the highest G/GP in the NCAA, they have some glaring weaknesses as well.

- Goaltending has been a problem this season for PSU. Peyton Jones is currently ranked #11 in most GA in the NCAA (Robson #32) with a GAA of 3.38.

- Surprisingly, Penn St. is ranked 4th in most goals against in the NCAA.

- Against B1G opponents, the Nittany Lions are just about even in GF and GA. The Gophers currently have a better record against B1G opponents (3-2-3) than Penn St (3-4-1).

- Comparing similar opponents, PSU has struggled lately against B1G opponents like Wisconsin who put up 11 goals for a W and T in their series, while the Gophers split with the BADgers. Penn St. split with OSU, while the Gophers tied in both their games against the Buckeyes. Penn St. split with Michigan, while the Gophers played to a W and T.

- Since the St. Lawrence OT loss, the Gophers have improved to 4-2-3, whereas during the same period Penn St. is 3-3-2 with their most recent game, a T against Princeton. Princeton's record is well below .500 and they sit behind the Gophers at 25th in the PWR.

Penn St. likes to block a lot of shots and they're currently the NCAA leader in that category with 17 BLKS/G compared with the Gophers 12. At the very least, the Gophers will need match that and take some extra stingers this weekend if they hope to stop the high SOG totals of PSU.

The Gophers have not been good in finding the back of the net in the 3rd (10), whereas the Nittany Lions are tied with Northeastern for most goals in the 3rd period at 30. Given Penn St. ended the Gophers season last year, I think the Gophers are fired up for this series and have a reasonable shot at a split this weekend.

Comment

Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

About 10 minutes left in the game, and PSU's net (no matter which end) has come of FIVE times this game so far. No penalties called. What a bunch of horsesh*.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X